Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bug with Tesla app energy totals (or user error)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use this python lib to pull energy stats for my solar roof on a weekly basis and noticed that recently the solar totals I've pulled are slightly lower than what I see summarized in the IOS Tesla app. Thinking I might have bug in my process, I clicked the 'Download My Data' button in the app and looked at the detailed csv data - but that data matches what I pull through the API.

Has anyone else noticed such a discrepancy between the displayed values in the app and the data download?
Anyone else willing to waste a few minutes to check by clicking the 'Download My Data' button and comparing the csv data to what they see in the app?

I have a solar roof with a Tesla inverter and no powerwalls. The Tesla inverter reports stats on a 5-minute interval, so to calculate my total daily solar kWh I sum up the 5-minute interval values and divide by 12. (Prior to last September I used to have a Delta inverter that reported stats on a 15-minute interval, so I used to divide by 4). All of this seemed to work well and consistently until recently - maybe sometime in the last month - when I noticed the discrepancy between my totals and what I see in the app.

Here are screen shots from my app at the end of today:

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 6.46.02 PM.png

Interestingly, the totals jump after 6pm even though there is no more production after 5:35pm - leading me to believe the totals might "ignore" data from the current hour.
After the 6pm jump, my app shows 42.4 kWh solar but the csv download and the API total only to 40.974 kWh.