Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugged with wind noise and cold air while Tesla HR stood me up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been annoyed since day one by the wind noise. I have became a little bit paranoid whenever I drive on highway.
For this particular reason, My car has stayed in the tesla service center for over 30 days. This even affects my power consumption and comfortness. After I drove 30 mins on highway, inside is still cold(in northern state), worse than loaner I drove.(not range mode and temp was set to 27). Tesla gave back my car with my report saying they cannot identify the problem. While I considering Lemon Law to get a refund and I got contact by Tesla HR to schedule a call, since I work in Automotive industry, I was really excited and she stood me up not even replying my emails.

At this point, my feeling are mixed.

Temp was set to 27? That's apparently Celsius. I'm sure it was checked that the car was set to use that instead of Fahrenheit... otherwise, yes it would be cold inside the car..

I am having similar issue as you. I took the car for a road trip from california to new york then back in december. Weather was -2 to 10 degrees on the road. I am convinced there is something wrong on the driver side of the car. climate control set to 75 degrees and im freezing. Passenger side said it was perfectly warm. If i turn the heater up so i don't freeze, then passenger side gets too hot. Another thing I am convinced that something is wrong on the driver side is because there was frost building up on my side window, dirver side rear window, and driver side back windshield ( yes only half of the windshield). Actual ice was building up on my side only and not passenger side. They told me the wind noise is from turbulence form the side mirror and that they cannot replicate my cold problem because we live in california. I told them i tried to take the car in at ohio, but the service guy had no idea what i was talking about and had no idea how to fix it. Please let us know how you are getting this fixed. maybe it will solve my issue too! :D

• Informative
Reactions: dapao and Snerruc
I am having similar issue as you. I took the car for a road trip from california to new york then back in december. Weather was -2 to 10 degrees on the road. I am convinced there is something wrong on the driver side of the car. climate control set to 75 degrees and im freezing. Passenger side said it was perfectly warm. If i turn the heater up so i don't freeze, then passenger side gets too hot. Another thing I am convinced that something is wrong on the driver side is because there was frost building up on my side window, dirver side rear window, and driver side back windshield ( yes only half of the windshield). Actual ice was building up on my side only and not passenger side. They told me the wind noise is from turbulence form the side mirror and that they cannot replicate my cold problem because we live in california. I told them i tried to take the car in at ohio, but the service guy had no idea what i was talking about and had no idea how to fix it. Please let us know how you are getting this fixed. maybe it will solve my issue too! :D
last repair, sc said cannot tell the problem and no repair done. and i submitted my file through attorney and wait.

The climate control supports two zones. I don't suppose you've had your side lower than the passengers?

Either way, the service centre should certainly be able to fix without needing to involve an attorney.

Similar issue with wind noise on my new (2016) S90D. It almost seems to be related to cold exterior temperatures - perhaps seals not sealing properly in cold temps. My (2015) S85D has no such issues and is exceptionally quiet even at high speeds. But the 90D sounds like a windstorm when I get over 70 mph (or lower if there's a headwind) and is definitely worse in the cold.

A ranger came today to look at the issue and it was 60 degrees outside. Noise was minimal. Anyone else seeing a correlation between cold temps and wind noise?

I wanted to say this thought as it ran through my mind...

"would all the people who get some noise-vibration-harshness issue and then immediately threaten Lemon Law, please f* off."

..but thank goodness I didn't... sanity and restraint prevailed.

It's very tiring... even thinking of having to type such a post was exhausting.

My Jan 2017 delivered X has been to Service twice and they did attempt to fix wind noise by a bit but I agree, here in Pacific Northwest cold weather it just sounds awfully bad inside the cabin on any freeway speed. Did not consider the winter angle. Service however said that they can't do anything further as it will put more stress on the windows, also they said it looks pretty good compared to typical X wind noises.

Same with cold, I always had my left leg feel cold and window fogging. After first visit they said thermals were checked and found an issue with rear heating which they fixed. Told me to run always in auto climate mode to avoid fogging. Despite that fogging still happened and also left foot still felt cold.

Came in again to service and this time I was told there is no vent on left foot so you will feel cold, I was like it took you two visits to tell me that?? Regarding window fogging they said they are not sure what is wrong so didn't do anything.

So now I have three problems and I can only blame the cold weather, wind noise, left foot cold and window defogging.