Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buggy DashCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3, software version 2020.20.12. My saved dashcam videos are sporadically unplayable or partially unplayable. This happens on the tesla reader where I get a message "video unavailable, please select different footage". But it's not just the reader. When I try to play them on my computer, the files are corrupt. Sometimes I get a valid 10 minutes of video. Sometimes just the first minute or so is valid. And sometimes the entire (saved) 10 minutes are bad.

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM) with a USB reader. My research indicates this is the optimal storage device for video. I have no capacity issues so I do not believe an ssd will solve the problem, and it's my understanding the the transfer rate in an ssd will be less than my Endurance card.

Last edited:
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM) with a USB reader. My research indicates this is the optimal storage device for video. I have no capacity issues so I do not believe an ssd will solve the problem, and it's my understanding the the transfer rate in an ssd will be less than my Endurance card.

I have the same setup as you, and I haven't had any issues with it. Are you using a USB splitter for the USB ports? Formatted properly to FAT32? Adapter problems? Those are couple of things that you can look into.

is this a new card you purchased just to use with the car or was it one you had lying around?

if purchased new, did you run a test on the card to test its writing capacity, to verify that its not a fake card?

did you format the card directly in the car?

did you reboot the MCU and then tried to retest?

I have the same issue. I’ve been using a Samsung 830 SSD in a USB enclosure for over a year without any issues. Since 2020.24.6.1 I’ve been having a lot of these issues. When I look at the drive on a computer it’s saving 3 KB files which aren’t playable of course. I’ve reformatted using a computer and rebooted the car many times but it’s still spotty. I also tried my flash drive that was equally reliable in the past but it experiences the same issue. 2020.24.6.4 didn’t seem to help. It’s frustrating.

my SD Card was brand new and I've been using the DashCam successfully for 9 months or so. I don't "test" view the videos that often, so I'm not sure when this problem started, but I had some good videos about a week ago, so it's somewhat sporadic. My issues seem similar to hungryjonjon. Today, I'm going to try and do a more thorough test, starting with a hard reboot. I'll post the results.

This is what I see when it happens. Basically, empty files. Sometimes some of the files work and some don't. And sometimes it works flawlessly like it used to. I got the car 5/2019 and this is the first time I've had issues.
teslacam01.png
teslacam02.png

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I have the same issue. I’ve been using a Samsung 830 SSD in a USB enclosure for over a year without any issues. Since 2020.24.6.1 I’ve been having a lot of these issues. When I look at the drive on a computer it’s saving 3 KB files which aren’t playable of course. I’ve reformatted using a computer and rebooted the car many times but it’s still spotty. I also tried my flash drive that was equally reliable in the past but it experiences the same issue. 2020.24.6.4 didn’t seem to help. It’s frustrating.
EXACTLY !!!

I give up (-: I went out to do some tests. Had 3 or 4 "saved videos" that were bad. Usually, the first 35/45 seconds were viewable, and then the rest were garbage. Did it again and things worked perfectly -- no change. The only thing I noticed was it's clear when saving a bad video because it's saved "too fast" while a good video has a nice "green arrow" and takes a few seconds to complete the save. For the record, I did do a hard reboot first thing this morning.