Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buggy speed sign detection in AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tescroft

In Musk, we trust.
Aug 23, 2015
Switzerland
There are several occations where Autopilot speed assist does not recognize speed signs correctly. There is an example that is reproducable, every time a pass this area, the speed sign on both sides of the road are not detected and not applied to the dashboard. The error rate of Tesla speed assist is to high to rely on IMO. This way, the feature is almost useless.

FullSizeRender.jpg

This is AP1 with mobile eye. Since this did not improve with the latest software updates, I wonder if this is a limitation of the mobile eye chip and cannot be improved with software updates. I own a BMW i3 as well, with the same mobile eye chip, and it does not regognize this signs as well.

What are your experiences with AP speed sign regognition?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
There are several occations where Autopilot speed assist does not recognize speed signs correctly. There is an example that is reproducable, every time a pass this area, the speed sign on both sides of the road are not detected and not applied to the dashboard. The error rate of Tesla speed assist is to high to rely on IMO. This way, the feature is almost useless.

View attachment 242066

This is AP1 with mobile eye. Since this did not improve with the latest software updates, I wonder if this is a limitation of the mobile eye chip and cannot be improved with software updates. I own a BMW i3 as well, with the same mobile eye chip, and it does not regognize this signs as well.

What are your experiences with AP speed sign regognition?

Does it happen on both lanes?

One thing that is a problem with AP1 is the small FoV of the sole camera. For example in your picture the sign seems to be further away from the lane due to the blocking patterns on the road and the bend that maybe the camera just doesn't see it (close enough) physically?

Do you always drive on the left when this issue happens, or does it happen driving on the right as well?

Not ruling out MobilEye either, maybe it is the chip. Just pondering the camera limits of many current implementations. Maybe it could be, for example, the chip being confused about the additional sign underneath and dismissing the speed limit for that reason or something.

AP2 in theory could see wider, but of course does not use its wide camera(s) yet, nor does it have speed sign recognition at all.

Does it happen on both lanes?

One thing that is a problem with AP1 is the small FoV of the sole camera. For example in your picture the sign seems to be further away from the lane due to the blocking patterns on the road and the bend that maybe the camera just doesn't see it (close enough) physically?

Do you always drive on the left when this issue happens, or does it happen driving on the right as well?

Yes, it does happen on both lanes. Also the sign on the right is not recognized if I am driving on the right lane. So this seems not to have anything to do with the blocking patterns.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger