Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite a few forum members in The Netherlands have stopped using the navigation because of issues. It really is not up to par with the rest of the car.
Imho it works OK most of the time for me and I refuse to use my TomTom on the phone next to my wonderful big screen. But every now and then it makes strange mistakes and detours here.:crying:

And that's the issue in a nutshell. Because a navigation system that can be counted on to be completely accurate 99% of the time, and to be strangely inaccurate 1% of the time can't be relied on at all. It becomes essentially useless as a navigation system if it can't be trusted.

That describes my experience, though "accurate 99% of the time" is being generous.

Most recent "strangely inaccurate" behavior involved me searching for the nearest Albertson's grocery store in Santa Fe. The list popped up and showed several, and I selected the one that was like 3-4 miles away. Then the nav route list view pops up, does its thing, and the map redraws the route, and I look, and wait a minute, the distance is 66 miles!? I zoom out and out and out and I see a blue line leading from Santa Fe all the way down to an Albertsons store in Albuquerque, an hour away! Repeated tries led to exactly same result. It's a bug.

The other annoying bug in the nav system, something that has been there much longer than 6.2: when you type in a place, and it shows up in the quick search results, and says, oh, 5.2 miles for the distance, and then you tap it, and the nav route list view pops up on the left, does its thing showing the route waypoints, and then you look and see the distance is now something like 7.6 miles, usually 15-20% longer. Drives me crazy.

I completely agree with the first point.

The second point is due to the quick find displaying the direct distance, as the crow flies, which can be calculated from the lat and long co-ordinates. Then, when you select it, it is actually figuring the distance to drive. To do an accurate distance immediately would, in fact, be far from immediate, since it would have to calculate the routing for each offered destination.

I have been driving with my phone mounted near the lower right corner of the big display pretty much the whole 21 months of owning a Model S. It feels ridiculous and the occasional passenger has given me grief, but Waze on the small phone screen is so much better than what Tesla has to offer. Can you imagine how amazing Waze would be on that big screen?

I have been driving with my phone mounted near the lower right corner of the big display pretty much the whole 21 months of owning a Model S. It feels ridiculous and the occasional passenger has given me grief, but Waze on the small phone screen is so much better than what Tesla has to offer. Can you imagine how amazing Waze would be on that big screen?

I've started trying out Waze instead of Google Maps and Apple Maps. I like all the reporting, but wow are the POI searches lacking and the routing is very different than the other two. It has me make many turns to cut across streets rather than spend an extra mile or two minutes and avoid four turns.

It's not the full Waze app, which I too want, but you do know about this option, right? View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

I have .188 and my music that I listen to is on a USB drive. Despite pausing the music before exiting the car, it starts to play immediately upon opening the door. This does not occur if you get out and close the door and then open it back. I think the car has to go to sleep for it to do it.

It also advances tracks while I am away from the car. I have seen as many as 20 tracks skipped over while the music is in pause and the car is supposedly asleep. This started happening after .188 was installed.

I'm driving from Denver to Dallas via the Superchargers on I-70 and I-35. I'm on 6.2 (2.4.213). The trip planner did a weird thing today leaving Perry, OK for Ardmore, OK: from the very first it insisted that I return to Perry for a charge before pushing on to Ardmore, even though I'd just verified a 22% buffer before unplugging. I'd also just rebooted the touch screen due to some anomalies I encountered starting a charge...but I digress.

Its roughly 150 miles from Perry to Ardmore, and the nav continued to insist that I return to Perry until I was within 35 miles of Ardmore and it was no longer possible to reach Perry with the remaining charge. At this point things took a further turn toward the weird, as the nav system now told me to charge at Ardmore (progress!) and then (wait for it) to return to Perry for another charge before proceeding to Ardmore. That represented a total of 360 miles and two charge stops to reach the destination right in front of me, within reach with a 23% buffer.

I've attached a lousy cell photo as evidence that I Am Not Making This Up...

image.jpg

I reported the the bug to Tesla, and the rep suggested that I reboot first the touch screen and then immediately reboot the instrument cluster while the touch screen was still dark. Amazingly, that cleared up the problem and I was able to proceed to Ardmore without having the nice nav lady squawking at me the whole way to turn around.

Last edited:
I encountered a bug yesterday on version .188.

I had just done a range charge and my rated range was 261. At of curiousity I always like to monitor how quickly the limitation on regeneration is lifted after driving. My past experience is just a mile or two. This time I drove 4 miles and it was still showing my rated range at 261 with the limitation on regeneration. I pulled over, parked and reported the bug via the voice recognition feature and rebooted the display. The problem was resolved.

Larry

I encountered a bug yesterday on version .188.

I had just done a range charge and my rated range was 261. At of curiousity I always like to monitor how quickly the limitation on regeneration is lifted after driving. My past experience is just a mile or two. This time I drove 4 miles and it was still showing my rated range at 261 with the limitation on regeneration. I pulled over, parked and reported the bug via the voice recognition feature and rebooted the display. The problem was resolved.

Larry

Out of curiosity, what was the display result after the reboot?

I'll occasionally drive 2-3 miles before the range decrements... particularly if it's a 90% charge on the weekend after I've been charging to 60-70% during the week. Or if the temp is warming up from the time the car had finished charging.

So I've been on .239 for near a week and I've run into a scenario that maybe is a bug, or maybe just is my inexperience with a Model S. This week, there have been multiple times where I walk up to the car, the handles extend, I open the door, sit down (without pressing the brake), and as soon as I hit the seat, the car gives me three beeps (the same kind when trying to change drive/reverse too fast or auto raising of suspension can't happen because you are too fast). Additionally, if the rear camera was on or I was in an enclosed space, I can see that in this case, my tail lights also blink. It doesn't always happen, but has happened 3 or 4 times already. No messages are on the screen, no exclamation on the 17", and if I hit the brake, the car turns on successfully. Any idea what the car might be trying to tell me?

So I've been on .239 for near a week and I've run into a scenario that maybe is a bug, or maybe just is my inexperience with a Model S. This week, there have been multiple times where I walk up to the car, the handles extend, I open the door, sit down (without pressing the brake), and as soon as I hit the seat, the car gives me three beeps (the same kind when trying to change drive/reverse too fast or auto raising of suspension can't happen because you are too fast). Additionally, if the rear camera was on or I was in an enclosed space, I can see that in this case, my tail lights also blink. It doesn't always happen, but has happened 3 or 4 times already. No messages are on the screen, no exclamation on the 17", and if I hit the brake, the car turns on successfully. Any idea what the car might be trying to tell me?

When I get the three quick beeps, it's because I forgot to switch out of Park before pressing the accelerator pedal, or I opened the door before putting the car in Park. But if you haven't touched any pedal and the car hasn't even turned on, I'm not sure what it's complaining about. It sounds like something to ask the service center.

I've had issues with the driver's side mirror not unfolding automatically. They are checking into a firmware issue because I'm apparently not the only one. I was on .239. Took it in for service, and they updated me to .245 yesterday. Mirror didn't unfold again this morning.

I know one thing they finally tried to work on with .239, which I just got this morning. I have 15 icons spread around my house to indicate where I have charged. All 15 of those were for me charging in the exact same spot in my garage. Up until .239 each of the 15 had their own icon on the center screen map. Now depending on how much I zoom in or out the number of icons varies. I noticed today after the update because I had the map zoomed out a little ways I saw a circle with the number 15 inside instead of the normal charging icons. I then zoomed in a bit to where I usually leave it and I got 3 three circles instead, 2 that had a 6 inside and one that had a 3 inside. None of the three circles were actually at my house, but they kind of surround the house. I zoomed in even further and I got all 15 normal icons including the one that is actually my house.

I was hoping the new firmware would fix the problem, which most annoys me now, where the music starts up whenever I open the car door even when it was put in pause before exiting. It apparently does not fix that problem.

So last night I noticed that the three beeps are in fact different than the error beeps. Tweaking my search on the forums a bit, I found this thread: Ding Ding Ding goes my Tesla

Sure enough, I was able to recreate and confirm from that thread this was my problem. I bet the keyfob "top" was facing my leg in my pocket and as I sat down, I pressed it between my leg and jeans. At least now I know why my car was dinging at me!

When you sit, your key fob buttons are being pressed. Buy pants that aren't so tight. :)