Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. The first few days after the update, there was no auto-mute. Then one fine days, it happened several times and I thought I touched 'mute' accidentally. And for the past 2 days, there was no auto-mute again.

Yep, something is definitely up with (and not right, IMO) with the audio after the 6.2 update.

In 2 years of ownership of Model S (first a P85+ and now a P85D both with upgraded sound) and all previous software versions I've had it has always behaved exactly the same - the audio quiets down to around "2" when I open the driver's door and has always returned to its previous setting once the door is closed and I'm in the car.

Since getting 6.2 the audio now sometimes mutes itself when I get in, sometimes stays at the lowered "2" volume setting and sometimes behaves like it has in the past (returning to previous setting after getting in and closing door). I haven't been able to place any discernible pattern as to when it does what.

Mine always has.

The charge port unlocks as soon as the door-handles present as a result of fob proximity. The connector itself does not disengage​, however... that still requires the button-press on the charge handle, etc...
Ah, we're talking past each other.
Fob present: you can tap on the door (new door) and open it, you can press the button and remove a plugged in charger
But the you still have to press the button on the charger in order for it to stop charging and disengage.

After the update, I have noticed some behavior changed when exiting the vehicle. If I do not lock the car when exiting, the dash screen stays on. It changes to the large font showing the battery meter. Previously, it would only do this when it was plugged in. I have noticed this the past 2 mornings at the coffee shop upon returning the vehicle about 5 minutes later. Also, the handles do not auto-present when it was left unlocked.

However, when the vehicle is locked, the screen goes dark and the handles auto-present just fine upon returning. I have auto-present turned on and walk-away door locks turned off.

Is anybody else seeing this, or is it just me?

Had a 2000km trip over Easter weekend. Very poor trip planner, skipping many superchargers! Sometimes it shows that is impossible to reach a destination, just because it FORGETS a supercharger just on the way. For the same reason it wanted me to drive back 40km to the previous supercharger, because it did not consider I had a supercharger just few more km ahead of me. Bottom line the trip planner must always be double and triple checked. Cannot rely on it yet.

I had a similar experience. The Nav is clearly a beta and behaving like one.

The charge port unlocks as soon as the door-handles present as a result of fob proximity. The connector itself does not disengage​, however... that still requires the button-press on the charge handle, etc...

I think we're all saying the same thing, it's just about terminology. The chargeport 'wakes up' via key proximity but doesn't unlock, the connector button press sends a signal to the car instructing the car to unlock (and the car responds only if the doors are unlocked).

- - - Updated - - -

I had a similar experience. The Nav is clearly a beta and behaving like one.

Trip Planner was declared as a beta from the beginning:
Untitled.jpg

I'd say not only Trip Planner is beta but the whole Navigation has gone back to beta.
It does the weirdest things right now, not just with stored addresses. This morning it was offering a truly bizarre route that added 8 miles on a 3 mile trip I've taken many times before - and no, there was no traffic that would have caused that. It was just on drugs...
So yes, Navigation is still missing critical features. But the overall quality of Navigation seems to have clearly gone down in .124

Fob present: you can tap on the door (new door) and open it, you can press the button and remove a plugged in charger
But the you still have to press the button on the charger in order for it to stop charging and disengage.

I'm the original poster. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my initial post. What I meant is that with 6.1 and earlier versions, approaching the car when it's charged causes the charging port lock to release the J1772 adapter. This isn't a mistake-- it has happened virtually 100% of the days since I took ownership in late December.

With 6.2, approaching the charged car causes the door handles to present, but the charging port does not unlock, and therefore I cannot remove the charging adapter from the port. This happens 100% of the time since 6.2. In order to remove the J1772 adapter from the charging port, I have to manually "open" the already-open charging port door by holding down the trunk button on the key fob for 3+ seconds.

I hope all these bugs are fixed soon-- 6.2 definitely feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade to me, as the bugs are far worse than the new features are helpful for me at least!

I'd say not only Trip Planner is beta but the whole Navigation has gone back to beta.
It does the weirdest things right now, not just with stored addresses. This morning it was offering a truly bizarre route that added 8 miles on a 3 mile trip I've taken many times before - and no, there was no traffic that would have caused that. It was just on drugs...
So yes, Navigation is still missing critical features. But the overall quality of Navigation seems to have clearly gone down in .124

+1 I noticed some very weird things with navigation under .124 this weekend that I've never seen before. In addition to the things mentioned, I also noticed that if I set a destination and then make a stop before reaching the destination (to take a restroom break or grab a bite to eat were the two instances this happened to me) then return to the car, the navigation seems to be in some sort of half-way state in which it still knows the destination, but the screen no longer has the blue line and the battery percentage estimate. I had to re-enter the destination both times and it worked again. Not a big deal, but a bug that I've not seen before.

+1 I noticed some very weird things with navigation under .124 this weekend that I've never seen before. In addition to the things mentioned, I also noticed that if I set a destination and then make a stop before reaching the destination (to take a restroom break or grab a bite to eat were the two instances this happened to me) then return to the car, the navigation seems to be in some sort of half-way state in which it still knows the destination, but the screen no longer has the blue line and the battery percentage estimate. I had to re-enter the destination both times and it worked again. Not a big deal, but a bug that I've not seen before.
Did you report this to Tesla?

I'm the original poster. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my initial post. What I meant is that with 6.1 and earlier versions, approaching the car when it's charged causes the charging port lock to release the J1772 adapter. This isn't a mistake-- it has happened virtually 100% of the days since I took ownership in late December.

You were perhaps unique in having this 'feature'....there's a whole thread of folks buying the extra remote to pop that lock: Get-J1772-adapter-to-pop-charge-port-door

- - - Updated - - -

Press the voice control button and say "Bug report" and then explain what's not working.
This also collects data from your car that will help the engineers figure out which version, which car, what other parameters might play into it...

Note that the message you report must be less than 10 seconds.

Anyone else having problems resuming a trip after supercharging? I've had it happen twice where the navigation hangs when resuming the route to the next destination post supercharging. It requires the current trip to be cancelled and re-initialized by selecting the destination from nav screen.

I indeed suspect we are on the same page. I look at it this way: In the same way that that the doors unlock with fob proximity, but don't unlatch until you pull the handle, so too the charge port unlocks with fob proximity but doesn't unlatch until you press the button.

I think it's useful to differentiate between the two, otherwise if just having the cable inserted and latched (yet still unlatchable with a button press) is referred to as "locked", then what do you call it when it's both latched and locked in to that position?

Pedantic? Who, me?? :biggrin:

Last edited:
I do not feel it is pedantic as I have been told that without the fob (or using the app to unlock the car), it's locked so someone could not unplug your car after you leave, even if they pressed the button. So to me at least, there is a distinction.

I do not feel it is pedantic as I have been told that without the fob (or using the app to unlock the car), it's locked so someone could not unplug your car after you leave, even if they pressed the button. So to me at least, there is a distinction.

Indeed. That's one area where it helps to distinguish.

Another is when you use the center console (pressing the ambiguously named "open chargeport" button), it unlocks the port... despite the fact the cable is still latched in to place.

Tesla seems to have a very liberal definition of "Beta" software.

I would consider this version of the Trip Planner, "Alpha" at best... :eek:
Queue the discussion how we are all beta testers :)
This has come up quite a bit in the Model X threads about removing mirrors... I love my Model S (it's my second one already) and wouldn't want a different car, BUT... the quality of the software releases doesn't impress me. And the thought to have safety critical features of the car (like, mirrors) replaced by something that is driven by firmware scares the crap out of me. I currently completely ignore the blind spot warnings because they come on (with red double arg and chime) when I'm safely changing lanes, yet don't alert me when a look over my shoulder clearly shows a car in my blind spot. Don't get me started about the number of times I got the "crash warning" beep. I ended up switching this to "late" (or whatever that setting is) just because it got SO annoying.

Some will say it's the trade-off between getting frequent upgrades with "occasional small issues" and getting no OTA upgrades (and I'm exaggerating more differentiated positions here), but by and large I'm surprised just how many bugs end up in software that is sent to cars of "random buyer" instead of "person enrolled in the Early Access Program"... and I'm betting that by posting this I'm once again ending all my chances to ever be admitted to said EAP...

The navigation software in 6.1 was lacking important features but seemed to mostly work OK. Felt like a 1.0 release to me. Lots of room for improvement, but mostly fine for use by unsuspecting car buyers.
6.2 is definitely a step back, feels like a typical beta release to me (except that only one of the features missing (dropping a 'pin') was addressed). I am sorry, but the average car buyer shouldn't have to deal with software that gets addresses wrong and randomly forgets its destination, randomly decides to route you through a neighboring zip code for no apparent reason.

Let's talk about the Slacker app. Oyyy.
Let's talk about the web browser.
Let's talk about torque sleep.
Let's talk about the trip planner.
Let's talk about blind spot detection. (OK, already did that above)
Let's talk about the collision warning. (ditto)

Tesla is shipping a ton of software that is "early beta" at best to regular customers. Many of us are enthusiasts and used to dealing with incomplete and buggy software. But I spent half an hour with an older gentleman in the parking lot yesterday. He is driving a Mercedes E500 fully loaded and was considering a Model S. And as I was talking to him and was answering his questions about how one would operate a car with basically no buttons, I was wondering how he would deal with all the random bugs and the random changes from firmware version to firmware version.

And I can tell you that I don't want to deal with this when it's not just convenience features but key features of the car. Like for example a mirror replaced by a camera.

OK, </rant>