Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree with @dirkhh

All I would add is that the weird navigation was also present in 6.1 - I am still on .115 and had similar experiences - going for a short, main road drive it tries to route me through all kinds of back lanes even though there is absolutely no traffic. The routing definitely needs improving.

Dirk, I don't even have my Model S yet and I totally agree with you. When my phone or computer's software has an update available, I usually wait a couple weeks unless it has something I critically need. This lets any serious bugs get found and addressed before im a "beta tester" and also prepares me for the changes. Personally, I plan to wait at least a week to apply any update for the S (again, unless it was something critical like we saw with the 2015 braking bug and the 2015 contractors opening bug)

P85D does not go to 155 mph like the presskit did say FW 6.2 should enable.
Note the underlined word. The presskit was later changed to not include the 155 mph note.

This kind of behavior is the dark side of Tesla's online activities and promises, unfortunately.

To those that might say "But but...they had to because...".

No. If you put out a "press kit" and then have to later make adjustments, leave the adjustments in place and use redlining/strikethrus/etc. with footnotes describing what was changed and why. Don't just retract some of the "press kit" silently, and hope nobody notices. It erodes trust and is generally just a bad idea even if you're not worried about integrity.

I completely agree with DIRKHH and wrote perhaps my most prolific post to date, until I deleted it like a spaz. So I'll try again. Oy.

I think Tesla needs to spend more time in Alpha and not move to Bata or end SW product so quickly. I expect the the pressure to be miracle workers from Wall Street, the press, perhaps Elon, and from we users, has much to do with this. Clearly, Tesla has developed a brilliant car. And brilliant software. If they can resist the incredible pressure to crank out the quarterly numbers for stock market valuation, I believe that they will be better served, as will we, because we will get better product. Having been in public companies, I can tell you the pressure to crank out quarterly numbers is intense to say the least. I think that is one of the primary reasons that the USA produces inferior products in many cases.

It is very clear to me that Tesla has the talent to produce high quality SW for our cars. I think an attitude like Apple's, which is "we'll release a product when we are damn well and ready to", might help. Not that Apple is perfect in SW either! But still. A buggy computer is quite a different animal than a car speeding down the road.

Having read all of these posts, I see so many dissatisfied users. That's not good. Personally, I have only experienced meaningful problems with the blind spot system, which makes me think it is not trustworthy. Collision avoidance did actually save my a--, as I was trying to figure out blind spot-ironic. Thank G-d. But until I see repeated complete and flawless accuracy with blind spot, I will not use it.

Think about it: if Apple (or anybody else) brings out buggy SW on your computer, it's annoying. Very annoying. It's very complicated stuff. But if Tesla is pressured so much as to bring out buggy SW in order to please the (sorry) greedy, seven lives could hang in the balance (yes, dramatic). And I am NOT saying that Tesla has done that. We as the users, the market AND the press, must allow them to latitude to GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

I believe that they have the ability to do it.

Having read all of these posts, I see so many dissatisfied users. That's not good.
That's not my read. I finally caught up on the forums last weekend and I see a lot of people making note of issues and calling out room for improvement. That does not imply dissatisfaction. "Dissatisfaction" would follow from phrases like "I might have to reconsider this purchase".

That's not my read. I finally caught up on the forums last weekend and I see a lot of people making note of issues and calling out room for improvement. That does not imply dissatisfaction. "Dissatisfaction" would follow from phrases like "I might have to reconsider this purchase".
Let's be clear:
I criticize Tesla for their software practices. I'm frustrated with my delivery experience. I have ZERO faith in any time frame for anything they say in any context ("will ship in...", "will arrive on...", "will be available...", "will be finished by...").
I love my car and certainly am not and would not reconsider this purchase.

6.2 is quite buggy.
Recently I was driving silently and the phone rang. The sound system started playing music when i answered the phone. No one there.
I hung up, and the music stopped. Don Maclean would have liked that. Kidding aside, this is an annoying issue.
Re routing to a recently charged SC as I try to go home is also not good!

But until I see repeated complete and flawless accuracy with blind spot, I will not use it.

I thought it was interesting to see the different viewpoints on the blind-spot feature. From my side, I will not expect to ever see "complete and flawless accuracy" with blind spot. On the other end, I *am* using it, already today. I find that checking the instrument cluster, then (if nothing is detected) my mirror, then my shoulder seems to works quite well (although more "practice " is needed to see if I can truly change this into a habit). That said, I do agree the feature can definitely be further improved upon.

i guess the difference may lie in the different expectations different people have from the system. To me, a blind spot warning indicates I better triple check before changing lanes (or wait with changing lanes altogether). The opposite, no blind spot indication does not necessarily indicate it's safe to move over. I will still check my mirror/shoulder to make sure.

Anyone else having problems with the navigation changing zoom levels but not returning to your desired / preset level of zoom? For instance, hitting the new charger button (top right) lists all the charger locations close by, zooms you out in the process, but unselecting it does not return to the prior zoom level. Or hitting the trip overview button also changes zoom but unselecting it doesn't return to prior level of zoom (this one was also the case in 6.1).

Anyone else having problems with the navigation changing zoom levels but not returning to your desired / preset level of zoom? For instance, hitting the new charger button (top right) lists all the charger locations close by, zooms you out in the process, but unselecting it does not return to the prior zoom level. Or hitting the trip overview button also changes zoom but unselecting it doesn't return to prior level of zoom (this one was also the case in 6.1).

Yes, it is a tad annoying

yep, I have it zoom out on me for no good reason...

Yep. I've had this happen several times, but only when using the trip planner.

Yep, something is definitely up with (and not right, IMO) with the audio after the 6.2 update.

In 2 years of ownership of Model S (first a P85+ and now a P85D both with upgraded sound) and all previous software versions I've had it has always behaved exactly the same - the audio quiets down to around "2" when I open the driver's door and has always returned to its previous setting once the door is closed and I'm in the car.

Since getting 6.2 the audio now sometimes mutes itself when I get in, sometimes stays at the lowered "2" volume setting and sometimes behaves like it has in the past (returning to previous setting after getting in and closing door). I haven't been able to place any discernible pattern as to when it does what.

Just piling on with displeasure in the change of the audio muting instead of attenuation on entering the car. TESLA PLEASE REVERT THIS (or fix the bug)!

Thanks efusco for pointing me to this thread so I can vent!

i get the same msg "Software Update Required. Contact Service" ... has been coming on almost every other start. Called Tesla and they said to wait another day or so before bringing it in. Also having issues with Navi . I would put in an address that automatically routes through a Supercharger, but then i cancel the SC's and the navi just keeps searching for location and never finds it. :confused::confused:

I'm the original poster. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my initial post. What I meant is that with 6.1 and earlier versions, approaching the car when it's charged causes the charging port lock to release the J1772 adapter. This isn't a mistake-- it has happened virtually 100% of the days since I took ownership in late December.

With 6.2, approaching the charged car causes the door handles to present, but the charging port does not unlock, and therefore I cannot remove the charging adapter from the port. This happens 100% of the time since 6.2. In order to remove the J1772 adapter from the charging port, I have to manually "open" the already-open charging port door by holding down the trunk button on the key fob for 3+ seconds.

I hope all these bugs are fixed soon-- 6.2 definitely feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade to me, as the bugs are far worse than the new features are helpful for me at least!

I installed 6.2 2.4.136 on Tuesday night (Apr 7th).

- J1772 still worked the same Wednesday morning, IIRC. Meaning, I do the unlock dance by approaching from the rear, go past the B pillar until the handles unlock/present, then go back and remove the J1772 plug and adapter. (note: not a UMC)

- I had entered several locations for our current trip on Tuesday evening before the firmware was ready (I didn't know it was going to be available). On Wednesday starting our trip, at least two of the locations (the only ones I used that day) worked properly.

- scheduled charging worked perfectly, good thing too as we needed the range for our trip. Was scheduled to start at 4:30am and my iPhone notification said that happened.

Several of the posts above noted version .124, so, perhaps they've fixed these particular ones with .136. Also, I was previously on 6.1 prior to the Tuesday install.

Last edited:
Just piling on with displeasure in the change of the audio muting instead of attenuation on entering the car. TESLA PLEASE REVERT THIS (or fix the bug)!

Thanks efusco for pointing me to this thread so I can vent!

I don't see why we need this "feature" at all. I love listening to music while I clean my car, and I can't stand that it turns down or mutes when the door is open(ed).