Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bug I haven't seen here (apologies if I have missed this here) is that if the power saving is enabled (display screen) and the car goes to sleep, on waking up, the 3G takes a very long time to recover, almost as bad as after a restart. I'm not sure if this is just in Canada but I know that in2oil is seeing the same problem. .153 has not fixed this.

I had this happen to me once and was totally baffled by it.
I can only believe that this is a silly bug that slipped through the cracks. There's nothing smart about the muting of the system.

I fear you may be mistaken, and that Tesla thought they were improving the feature. Of course they have demonstrated that they take feedback well, so perhaps they will change the feature back.

One of the reasons I say that I think Tesla did this on purpose is this post:

Yup, I get the silly "software update required" and called Tesla... they are "looking into it" --- seems to be a bug.

New "feature" of reducing the volume of sound system upon startup is silly... if volume was low, it mutes. If it was higher, it reduces it by 3 volume clicks...

That poster called Tesla. Though he doesn't say it explicitly, I'm inferring that the second sentence about the volume was what Tesla told him. It seems quite specific (3 volume clicks, etc.), and the way he put feature in quotation marks makes me think that the person he spoke to at Tesla referred to it as a feature.

The original behavior, of dropping the volume to 2 when the door was open worked fine and was not intrusive. The implementation of the current system is terrible.
I'm answering comments about the "original behavior". JakeP was asking why we need this feature and I was commenting on it. The new feature is something else again - and it seems opinion is also divided on its usefulness.

Last edited:
At the very least, this could be a user definable setting for media. Let the owner decide what to do when the door opens!

I think this is once again a demonstration of the need for some sort of advanced menu options, or something along those lines.

There are clearly many, many instances within the software where Tesla simply makes a choice for us, instead of allowing us to choose for ourselves, probably because it's "cleaner" for software implementation purposes and because it won't confuse people who want operating the car, which admittedly already has a lot of complexity to it, to be as simple as possible. The problem is that leaves those of us who want to be able to control absolutely everything we possibly could control, and see every possible bit of information we could see, out in the cold. An advanced menus option, with the choices to go along with it, would solve a lot of problems.

I don't see why we need this "feature" at all. I love listening to music while I clean my car, and I can't stand that it turns down or mutes when the door is open(ed).

Jake, when the audio level drops after opening a door, just adjust the volume up using the thumbwheel to bring the audio level back up while the door is opened. Problem solved. The higher volume will stay in effect as long as your doors are open.

Jake, when the audio level drops after opening a door, just adjust the volume up using the thumbwheel to bring the audio level back up while the door is opened. Problem solved. The higher volume will stay in effect as long as your doors are open.
That sounds like a "workaround" rather than "problem solved" to me. It's an extra action that needs to be taken, where none was needed before. Those can add up over time to become an annoyance.

Andyw2100 pointed out the reason why we likely won't see an "advanced options" menu to control this behavior. The current number of controls, spread across multiple pages of settings, already presents too much complexity for many people. It's a tough problem. If Tesla made it a hidden option (say, adjusting the volume manually to level L within N seconds of the door-open event remembers to leave that volume level alone next time if it's at L), then people would be confused by that behavior too.

I've seen complaints on the forums from people whose SO or kid cranked up the volume at night, and the next driver was blasted by it in the morning. The muting behavior was probably a response to similar feedback, so any hidden option which maintains a preset volume could be undesirable in the same way.

Maybe the middle ground is to only reduce the volume if a certain amount of time has passed since the last door-open event , i.e. getting into your car in the morning would trigger it, but simply closing the door during a cleaning session and re-opening it within a few minutes would not.

That sounds like a "workaround" rather than "problem solved" to me. It's an extra action that needs to be taken, where none was needed before. Those can add up over time to become an annoyance.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was telling someone how to pump up the volume while keeping the door OPEN. He was complaining that the sound level drops when the door is opened, and he likes to have louder music while detailing his car. The solution is to increase the volume while the door is opened, which will bring up the lower volume to your preference. The car has always behaved this way.

I think this is once again a demonstration of the need for some sort of advanced menu options, or something along those lines.

There are clearly many, many instances within the software where Tesla simply makes a choice for us, instead of allowing us to choose for ourselves, probably because it's "cleaner" for software implementation purposes and be cause it won't confuse people who want operating the car, which admittedly already has a lot of complexity to it, to be as simple as possible. The problem is that leaves those of us who want to be able to control absolutely everything we possibly could control, and see every possible bit of information we could see, out in the cold. An advanced menus option, with the choices to go along with it, would solve a lot of problems.

I agree. An advanced tab would be a huge improvement for me.

Generally speaking, the more details you can see about how the car functions, the more effectively you can drive it, and in the ideal case the fewer problems you will have. However, you need a certain level of knowledge and experience to be able to use them, which beginners don't have. So an advanced setting would be nice. To protect the beginner, it could be made so that it can't be enabled for 10K miles or so, perhaps overridden by the Service Centre for those purchasing their second Tesla. (Yes, I know this will get howls of anguish.)

Generally speaking, the more details you can see about how the car functions, the more effectively you can drive it, and in the ideal case the fewer problems you will have. However, you need a certain level of knowledge and experience to be able to use them, which beginners don't have. So an advanced setting would be nice. To protect the beginner, it could be made so that it can't be enabled for 10K miles or so, perhaps overridden by the Service Centre for those purchasing their second Tesla. (Yes, I know this will get howls of anguish.)
This is a fine idea. I'd supplement it with the ability to override and enable if someone passes some sort of verbal assessment. And to discourage people wasting the time of whomever it is that has to administer the test, perhaps have a fee for taking the test, with most or all of the fee returned if the test is passed. I think something like this would be necessary because there are people who learn everything they can about the car, even before having it, who would be able to use those advanced menus, and then there are probably also those that even after driving 10000 miles wouldn't have a clue. You need to enable it for everyone after 10000 miles, but you also need a way to include people who have made the effort to become knowledgeable about their cars.

This is a fine idea. I'd supplement it with the ability to override and enable if someone passes some sort of verbal assessment. And to discourage people wasting the time of whomever it is that has to administer the test, perhaps have a fee for taking the test, with most or all of the fee returned if the test is passed. I think something like this would be necessary because there are people who learn everything they can about the car, even before having it, who would be able to use those advanced menus, and then there are probably also those that even after driving 10000 miles wouldn't have a clue. You need to enable it for everyone after 10000 miles, but you also need a way to include people who have made the effort to become knowledgeable about their cars.

A special sequence of icon presses in a predetermined order that is spelled out in the OWNER'S MANUAL would probably eliminate 99% of the people who have no business messing with advanced settings. :)

Owner's Manual? What's that?

A special sequence of icon presses in a predetermined order that is spelled out in the OWNER'S MANUAL would probably eliminate 99% of the people who have no business messing with advanced settings. :)

Owner's Manual? What's that?
that is funny but accurate. The idea is also to keep this hidden for people who don't care and don't want to see it. For certain options if a user complains about certain behaviours An SC could configure it for them or direct them to the setting.
Unfortunately the more advanced configurations and analytics we are given the more complex the testing becomes. Of course there are already some screens and options which exist that we could be given access to as a starting point.

I have noted the music muting problem... realized that what it is doing is lowering the volume by 2-4 steps. When I leave the car with music playing above 4 on volume, it comes back very soft. If I've left it below 4, it comes back muted.

Anyone else had an issue with the music muting on entering the vehicle? It isn't every time for me, but most of the time it occurs.
I can't confirm the NAV issue, but I did use NAV this weekend for a well known location and it tried to route me to an address across the street and set back from the road a bit. Surprised me as I'm pretty sure I'd used the Tesla NAV for this location in the past.

.124 version.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had the same error "bong" when opening, and the software update required that goes away... called and spent time with Tesla service right after the update. They said they would route this to the engineers, and I have never heard from them again... there are now two updates in the wild since .124 that I have, but I am not lucky enough to be on the list to get them. There are several other bugs that are annoying, so I'm a bit disappointed in this release. The blind spot warning is almost useless: disappointing.

I have not noticed the nav errors but I have noticed a new "behavior" after the 6.2.2.4.124 update. When opening the door I hear the "something is wrong" noise or chime. But by the time I get in the car there is nothing presented on the main screen. I get in the car butt first. But if I stick my head in first and look at the screen there is the red exclamation point on the top menu and when I press it quickly the "Software update required. Contact Tesla Service" dialog box is shown on the screen for a couple seconds and goes away on it's own. Has anybody noticed this with this update? I am gonna wait until 6xxxx vehicles get any updates past .124 before trying to contact Tesla Service.

Sorry about the crappy photos.

- - - Updated - - -

Incorrect assumption on your part in interpreting my prior post:

I only called them about the "software update required - contact service center" message on my dashboard overtime I started to use the car... That's what they said they would look into and never answered... I don't think that's a feature! Definitely a bug.

The feature was the volume control automatically changing. I was answering another persons question about that. I personally think this new change is not desirable, but somehow the Tesla engineers didn't ask me and didn't make it optional.

I fear you may be mistaken, and that Tesla thought they were improving the feature. Of course they have demonstrated that they take feedback well, so perhaps they will change the feature back.

One of the reasons I say that I think Tesla did this on purpose is this post:

That poster called Tesla. Though he doesn't say it explicitly, I'm inferring that the second sentence about the volume was what Tesla told him. It seems quite specific (3 volume clicks, etc.), and the way he put feature in quotation marks makes me think that the person he spoke to at Tesla referred to it as a feature.

I would be happy if most or all of the advanced stuff was read-only (and thus not so complicated for Tesla to QA).

Got updated to .153 today... pleased to report that the music issue was fixed, as was the alert message every time the car started... several other minor bugs fixed as well...

the blind spot actually worked better now. put on a blinker when someone was in the blind spot, and it beeped at me in addition to the double red indicator. nice.

The TACC has been tweaked again. Funny, this one is now more aggressive heading to a stop. Liked the first iteration, the second iteration was much more conservative (.124) and this one is more aggressive... No value judgement, just stating how it seems.

There is an option on the music app to do the internet music with higher quality. Takes a little longer on the download, but sounds better.

Had it for a couple of hours now. Will holler if I notice more.

I'm noticing it in .153 but I'm not sure if it's that new.

I have a habit (2+ years) of pausing Slacker when I leave the car. When I return to the car, I resume playing as part of my sequence of getting underway. I'm pretty rigorous about it. I do a lot of "save this song for the next drive" -- which is very handy with the buffering when you park underground (out of 3G range).

I've noticed (mostly not underground) that lately when I return to the car Slacker has already resumed (and sometimes is playing a different song than I left). Anybody else run into this?