Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in Tail Light!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang good idea I may try this next slow weekend I have!

practice drilling into a sheet of clear lexan plastic (a junkyard headlight would do) before going at your Tesla

definitely consider using a brad bit, rather than a standard twisted metal bit, and you do not want to put too much force into the drill

the brad bit is better for piloting into soft material and will scribe the circle perimeter out as it sinks - thus helping to prevent cracking

Reactions: KidDoc
After 2 tail light replacements, the bugs are back (kind of expected). Tesla has now changed their policy. They won't change or clean the lights going forward. I understand there may be a way to vacuum them out. So I will try accessing the lights from inside the trunk and hopefully suck those corpses out of there.
20190816_145935_1565982226609.jpeg

I use step drills for sheet metal and brittle plastic - they have no spiral, so don’t try to pull into the material and crack it. Try it.. way better than a spiral bit.

Neiko 10182A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set, High Speed Steel | 1/8" to 1/2" | Total ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CBNPBW/
You stop at whatever step you want.

But that said, I think there is access from the trunk side for a small hose. Not completely sure, but have that impression from I removed the trunk carpet panels.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc