Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs on bumper recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
Short of adding PPF to the front dumper what else has worked for everyone to make it “easier” for bugs NOT to stick to the bumper itself. I have read some owners swear by using a Ceramic spray wax? They claimed that only 10% of bugs will stick to the bumper if you use something like Meguiars hybrid ceramic Spray Wax.

I’m not sure I believe that using a hybrid ceramic spray wax on the nose will stop 90% of bug splatters staying on the car because it’s not a question of dirt or moisture. A coating won’t stop them splatting and sticking when you’re doing 60-80mph in warm weather. It might make them easier to clean off, but any wax would.

There just really isn’t anywhere else for the bugs to go like they would on other cars. Thing is a bug killing machine.

I’m going to diy ppf the front bumper so that I can just use a fairly aggressive cleaning method every few days without having to worry about the paint underneath.

Reactions: Corndart and 1plavs
Ceramic coating definitely helps with removal, but it won’t “eliminate” them. If you get a ton of bugs, hit the bumper with a good spray detailer or waterless wash. Spray it down liberally and let it sit for 5 mins. Come back, spray it again and wipe it all off with a soft microfiber. Very easy.
Are you saying after the 5 minutes that I should use a spray detailer again and then wipe it down?? Would something like Meguiar’s Quick Wax work?

Are you saying after the 5 minutes that I should use a spray detailer again and then wipe it down?? Would something like Meguiar’s Quick Wax work?
Basically just soak them in a paint-safe cleaning spray, leave for 5-10 minutes then come back, spray again and wipe off. If they're really on there you may still need to use the net-side of a microfibre wash mitt or similar to get the full residue off. Or you can do the same thing with a tar and bug remover, but those often remove any wax or sealant that is on the paint so you'd need to re-apply that.

If none of that has the desired effect it might be time for a clay bar.

Not sure if there's any way to prevent them from sticking but I found an easy way to clean them. Keep in mind my car is not ceramic coated or PPF protected.
I just use Windex(or similar) spray and Clorox(or similar) wet wipes.
Step 1: Spray the bumper and headlights generously and let it soak in for a couple of minutes.
Step 2: Use wet wipe and wipe down the area.
Step 3: Use microfiber cloth to dry off.

EZ as 1-2-3. YMMV

I have Xpel PPF and Xpel Fusion ceramic coating, and even sprayed a booster on my bumper before a road trip last month. The bumper & hood were super slippery feeling, but that still didn't stop a ton of bugs from smashing into the front bumper and making a big mess. And that was after just a 2 hour drive on the freeway from So Cal to Nor Cal.

Since I had that much protection on the car, I cleaned the front at my first Supercharger stop. I sprayed the front area with a bug remover spray and let it sit for about a minute, and just wiped it with a microfiber towel. Then used some detail spray on a clean microfiber towel to wipe the area of any bug spray haze, and the car was super clean looking..... until the next Supercharger stop when I had to do the same thing all over again :p

Ceramic coating definitely helps with removal, but it won’t “eliminate” them. If you get a ton of bugs, hit the bumper with a good spray detailer or waterless wash. Spray it down liberally and let it sit for 5 mins. Come back, spray it again and wipe it all off with a soft microfiber. Very easy.
Do you then throw away that bug filled microfiber after each clean or just hand wash it?

You think it would be okay to use disposable baby wipes instead?

Do you then throw away that bug filled microfiber after each clean or just hand wash it?

You think it would be okay to use disposable baby wipes instead?
I use my cheap Costco MF towels for stuff like this. They go into a "dirty laundry" bag in the garage until I get enough of them to wash in the machine. My better "Rag Company" car drying and polishing MF towels go into another bag for washing as needed. I'd be hesitant to use a baby wipe or any other paper based towel unless you like fine scratches in your paint.