Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build 2.42.40 improves USB audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The voice activated search works with USB which is nice, but my wife reported some issues with it. I haven't had enough time to really test it out yet. But she reported that sometimes it would just automatically switch to and start playing from another music source (other than USB) instead of giving a pop up list you can select from. She said this was annoying and it was her biggest complaint. Anyone else care to comment on this? Is there a way to tell it NOT to switch sources with your search?

Who rips their entire music collection in WMA? What kind of monster are you?

Also, mp3 tag-it might be able to recover or transfer your art correctly.

I am an audiophile and have a qsonix music system, when you rip CD's it rips in lossless WMA's.so it's (was) very simple for me to copy over to USB. In my opinion there is no point in using a USB stick unless saved in some lossless format, otherwise I would just stream from my iPhone or Spoitify.

I've seen the search issue too. You search for something that is on the USB, but the car plays it from streaming. I seem to recall that once what it played was not the same words I searched for, but the USB had the exact item.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the road noise and my high-bitrate MP3's.

But seriously, +1 for Windows Media Player making it easy to rip back in the day to WMA. I get that.

I ripped my initial 500 music files into lossless WMA using Media player. (same reason as @dgpcolorado ) I discovered FLAC later; the balance 1000+ were ripped to FLAC. The lossless WMA are just as good as FLAC....but they don't play in 8.0, but did in 7.1. I did have dialogue with a tech at Tesla....and the claimed that some types (there are 4) of WMA will play. I guess lossless aren't one of them. I have since converted all of the lossless WMA to FLAC.

Last edited:
I got 2.42.40 and the USB does show up but each time I get in my car it has to reload the USB fob and that takes about 45 minutes to load. It never was able to fully load in previous version so I guess it is improved but still not useable.

I got 2.42.40 and the USB does show up but each time I get in my car it has to reload the USB fob and that takes about 45 minutes to load. It never was able to fully load in previous version so I guess it is improved but still not useable.

What is your folder structure and how many files do you have? If you structure is flat try changing it to Artist/Album/Track and I suspect it will load much faster.

If you select an album, the songs are in order numerically (as intended by the artist), assuming your tags are correct.

If you select by folder, the songs are in alphabetical order, unfortunately. (In many cases I find it easier to organize by folder.)

The media player is much improved IMO.

I'm not having this problem. I've organized everything into folders by artist or composer and everything plays in the correct order. And all of the album art now shows correctly. I find that the upgraded version (in full screen mode) makes it much easier and faster to find the music I want to play. It seems that all of the time and trouble I invested a year ago in organizing eveything and finding the correct album art has now paid off.

Just received the update notification. I'm going to do a full blown test of all issues tonight.
Looking forward to it. One thing to test I have not heard yet:

I understand resume now works but is this just resume track, or resume track within album? It was a tease in 7.1 to go to recently played only to find that it was tracks and not where you were within an album.

I'm not having this problem. I've organized everything into folders by artist or composer and everything plays in the correct order. And all of the album art now shows correctly. I find that the upgraded version (in full screen mode) makes it much easier and faster to find the music I want to play. It seems that all of the time and trouble I invested a year ago in organizing eveything and finding the correct album art has now paid off.

Interesting.

I'll have to look at the actual folders on the USB when I plug it into my computer. I'm starting to think that they may in fact be listing alphabetically because they likely don't have a number in front of the file names; however, the ID3 tags are all correct so when listed by album, they should be fine. That may be the issue, but I'll have to look into it.

Interesting.

I'll have to look at the actual folders on the USB when I plug it into my computer. I'm starting to think that they may in fact be listing alphabetically because they likely don't have a number in front of the file names; however, the ID3 tags are all correct so when listed by album, they should be fine. That may be the issue, but I'll have to look into it.
I keep wondering if this is a new bug. If there are or are not track numbers in the actual filename, does that somehow conflict with the ID3 tag track field.