TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Build 2.42.40 improves USB audio

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by LastGas, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

The voice activated search works with USB which is nice, but my wife reported some issues with it. I haven't had enough time to really test it out yet. But she reported that sometimes it would just automatically switch to and start playing from another music source (other than USB) instead of giving a pop up list you can select from. She said this was annoying and it was her biggest complaint. Anyone else care to comment on this? Is there a way to tell it NOT to switch sources with your search?

2. Jlwine

Jlwine Member

I am an audiophile and have a qsonix music system, when you rip CD's it rips in lossless WMA's.so it's (was) very simple for me to copy over to USB. In my opinion there is no point in using a USB stick unless saved in some lossless format, otherwise I would just stream from my iPhone or Spoitify.

3. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

This is also an excellent question.

4. LastGas

LastGas Member

I've seen the search issue too. You search for something that is on the USB, but the car plays it from streaming. I seem to recall that once what it played was not the same words I searched for, but the USB had the exact item.

5. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

#25 DMC-Orangeville, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    I ripped my initial 500 music files into lossless WMA using Media player. (same reason as @dgpcolorado ) I discovered FLAC later; the balance 1000+ were ripped to FLAC. The lossless WMA are just as good as FLAC....but they don't play in 8.0, but did in 7.1. I did have dialogue with a tech at Tesla....and the claimed that some types (there are 4) of WMA will play. I guess lossless aren't one of them. I have since converted all of the lossless WMA to FLAC.

6. GuyGadois

GuyGadois Member

I got 2.42.40 and the USB does show up but each time I get in my car it has to reload the USB fob and that takes about 45 minutes to load. It never was able to fully load in previous version so I guess it is improved but still not useable.

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

What is your folder structure and how many files do you have? If you structure is flat try changing it to Artist/Album/Track and I suspect it will load much faster.

8. GuyGadois

GuyGadois Member

It is flat and 10,000 songs. Is that a setting I can use in TeslaTunes? If not, what is the best way to get out music out of iTunes playlist?

Cheers,

GG

9. supratachophobia

Power savings state? On or off?

10. GuyGadois

GuyGadois Member

Do you mean Power Management? Energy Savings set to On and always connected.

11. supratachophobia

Turn energy savings to off and see if it does the same thing.

12. Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce Member

The songs still appear in alpha order, not track number.

13. WentOffGrid

WentOffGrid Member

Yes the XM radio now shows station name. It was maddening before, trying to remember the numbers.

14. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

If you select an album, the songs are in order numerically (as intended by the artist), assuming your tags are correct.

If you select by folder, the songs are in alphabetical order, unfortunately. (In many cases I find it easier to organize by folder.)

The media player is much improved IMO.

15. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm not having this problem. I've organized everything into folders by artist or composer and everything plays in the correct order. And all of the album art now shows correctly. I find that the upgraded version (in full screen mode) makes it much easier and faster to find the music I want to play. It seems that all of the time and trouble I invested a year ago in organizing eveything and finding the correct album art has now paid off.

16. supratachophobia

Just received the update notification. I'm going to do a full blown test of all issues tonight.

• Like x 2
  17. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

I assume you mean size wise? If it is lossless, theoretically shouldn't it sound exactly the same?

18. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Looking forward to it. One thing to test I have not heard yet:

I understand resume now works but is this just resume track, or resume track within album? It was a tease in 7.1 to go to recently played only to find that it was tracks and not where you were within an album.

19. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Interesting.

I'll have to look at the actual folders on the USB when I plug it into my computer. I'm starting to think that they may in fact be listing alphabetically because they likely don't have a number in front of the file names; however, the ID3 tags are all correct so when listed by album, they should be fine. That may be the issue, but I'll have to look into it.

20. supratachophobia

I keep wondering if this is a new bug. If there are or are not track numbers in the actual filename, does that somehow conflict with the ID3 tag track field.