Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build 2.42.40 improves USB audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I have noticed today is that it is inconsistent about pausing podcasts. If I am out of the car for a short time, it resumes from where I was when I exited the car. But once or twice when I returned to the car, it had returned to the start of the piece. Since it also will not fast forward through a podcast, you have to listen to it over again in real time to get where you were before, which is very tedious. After listening to the first few minutes of one episode of "Car Talk" at least 3 times, I gave up and went to another episode. I never listened to podcasts at all before version 8, so i do not know how it used to behave.

Totally off the point,,,I loved Car Talk. Interestingly, about 75% of the problems that people would call in about were problems that would never occur on an EV. Imagine if you were an industry where a good chunk of your revenue was based upon when things break. And then they started breaking 75% less,,,,,,,,,

Something I have noticed today is that it is inconsistent about pausing podcasts. If I am out of the car for a short time, it resumes from where I was when I exited the car. But once or twice when I returned to the car, it had returned to the start of the piece. Since it also will not fast forward through a podcast, you have to listen to it over again in real time to get where you were before, which is very tedious. After listening to the first few minutes of one episode of "Car Talk" at least 3 times, I gave up and went to another episode. I never listened to podcasts at all before version 8, so i do not know how it used to behave.
Sorry to be technical, but I'm trying to keep this straight. Are the podcasts you are referencing via TuneIn (a different problem than USB and this thread, but also discussed elsewhere) or podcasts you have placed on a USB stick (which would imply the problem could exist for any USB track, since Media Player does not know it's a podcast, audiobook, or music track)?

Thx. Trying to narrow this down in my head if possible as more insight like yours comes in.

Sorry to be technical, but I'm trying to keep this straight. Are the podcasts you are referencing via TuneIn (a different problem than USB and this thread, but also discussed elsewhere) or podcasts you have placed on a USB stick (which would imply the problem could exist for any USB track, since Media Player does not know it's a podcast, audiobook, or music track)?

Thx. Trying to narrow this down in my head if possible as more insight like yours comes in.

Oh, sorry, I did mean podcasts from Tunein, so I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry, I lost track of where I was!

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
Remaining bugs for v8, .40 as they pertain to USB

Media Player Bugs as of .40 of v8

1. Search
SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Some instance of “ghost results” from previous media that is no longer plugged in. Selecting these items causes the Media Player to not play anything. There should also be an option to apply preferential treatment to search results (USB vs. streaming) and/or eliminate certain sources from results by user preference / Streaming people will want it one way (remove USB results), USB media people will like it the other way (remove streaming results) / Not all results are displayed when clearly there are more matches / What does “Top” mean in search results?

2. Playback Resume
Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing / passenger door status change may also affect this

3. Bookmark Feature
Especially in light of the ‘Playback Resume’ error, request feature to "Bookmark" exact place (time and album) in audio track and save 3-5 different slots for resuming later / critical for audiobooks and podcasts played via USB / Trying to find an exact timestamp in a file can be dangerous while driving. Allowing a “Favorite” to save the current timestamp and album would suffice for this feature or it can be a separate section: FAVORITES / RECENT / BOOKMARKS

4. Shuffle/Shuffle Toggle
Shuffle is much better, however, there are hints that it is still playing the same set of songs depending on either which song is selected or how many times the shuffle button has been toggled. Entering into the car for the first time of the day results in the last playing song from the night before to play from start but then next series of songs to play are the same repetitive set from the day before. Also, Shuffle still randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, and entering/existing vehicle, Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources, seems random

5. File Directory Listing
Folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically / Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View / Do not use tag data for sorting anywhere within Folder View

6. Grammatical Articles Used in Alphabetical Listing
Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

7. Multi-artist Album / Multi-disc Albums
Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated / ID3 tag DISCNUMBER should be used when sorting a list of files, should group by disk first, then by track

8. Documentation on USB Functionality
• Expected scan times per track/data size – disclose effect of MCU reboot and list rescan triggers
• Documented hard limits to volume size, individual file size, max number of files, ID3 tag fields
• Physical device support/specifications (Flash/SSD, max. USB output power per port/as a pair)
• Supported Tags
• Supported File Formats
• Supported Playback Formats
• Album Art Size/Type Limitations

9. Directory/File Sorting
Directory listing should place folders at the top in alphabetical order, followed by individual files in alphabetical order

Well, it looks like the USB audio issue that irritated me the most in 8.0 has not yet been fixed...

Top image: Track listing when browsing by "Folders"
Middle image: Track listing when browsing by Artist/Album
Bottom image: Actual file listing

Seriously, Tesla... Why is it so horrible to actually sort files by filename? Or if you insist on using metadata in the Folders view, please use the track number in your sorting routine.
This basically means that folder browsing is *still* unusable to me in 2.42.40.
At least they fixed all the other forms of browsing, so I have alternatives.

Its just that Artist-based navigation is completely inappropriate for a sizable portion of my music collection, so its extra hassle to find things.

This is the sort of bug complaint that I feel got lost in the noise of all the screaming over the other issues, but pisses me off just as much.

rNIqv74.jpg

Well, it looks like the USB audio issue that irritated me the most in 8.0 has not yet been fixed...

Top image: Track listing when browsing by "Folders"
Middle image: Track listing when browsing by Artist/Album
Bottom image: Actual file listing

Seriously, Tesla... Why is it so horrible to actually sort files by filename? Or if you insist on using metadata in the Folders view, please use the track number in your sorting routine.
This basically means that folder browsing is *still* unusable to me in 2.42.40.
At least they fixed all the other forms of browsing, so I have alternatives.

Its just that Artist-based navigation is completely inappropriate for a sizable portion of my music collection, so its extra hassle to find things.

This is the sort of bug complaint that I feel got lost in the noise of all the screaming over the other issues, but pisses me off just as much.

rNIqv74.jpg

I'm still on the fence about this. In folder view, once you get down to the individual files, it's debatable if they should be in track order or alphabetical. I would argue to arrange alphabetically in this case because *you* can always name your files with the track number included (like you should).

Reactions: BertL
I'm still on the fence about this. In folder view, once you get down to the individual files, it's debatable if they should be in track order or alphabetical. I would argue to arrange alphabetically in this case because *you* can always name your files with the track number included (like you should).

They're not alphabetical by filename. That's kinda my point, if you look at the 3rd image. My files are already named so they would normally sort in the order I'd like.
They're alphabetical by song title, as extracted from the metadata.
So there's really nothing I can do to fix this, besides junking up the ID3 tags of all my music so it looks stupid in every other view.

So I have 2.44.121 as of yesterday. I was away so I am not sure about the behavior of other interim releases. Having said that this is much improved but still has some really annoying / odd behaviors

1) Sometimes it needs to reload the USB and sometimes it doesn't. Longer elapsed times between drives seem to lead to the need to reload.

2) It prioritizes iPhone bluetooth connectivity over USB. I have never had USB resume without manual intervention - but my phone always seems to resume even if I wasn't listening to it.

3) Searching for artist returns many results - which is great - but only a single song for the USB collection. I have no idea how it picks the particular song.

All else seemed to work as I expected it to. I was relieved to see the alphabetic selection list and the improved results from artist selection - showing albums rather than a list of songs.

All in all -an improvement - but still quite a ways to go.

I have an X as well, but I have been working with the S guys doing the USB analysis.
The main difference I can figure, is the X seems to rescan every time and never seems to remember a previous scan, which is terrible. I hope that is fixed at some point soon. I cannot fathom why that would behave differently

So I have 2.44.121 as of yesterday. I was away so I am not sure about the behavior of other interim releases. Having said that this is much improved but still has some really annoying / odd behaviors

1) Sometimes it needs to reload the USB and sometimes it doesn't. Longer elapsed times between drives seem to lead to the need to reload.

2) It prioritizes iPhone bluetooth connectivity over USB. I have never had USB resume without manual intervention - but my phone always seems to resume even if I wasn't listening to it.

3) Searching for artist returns many results - which is great - but only a single song for the USB collection. I have no idea how it picks the particular song.

All else seemed to work as I expected it to. I was relieved to see the alphabetic selection list and the improved results from artist selection - showing albums rather than a list of songs.

All in all -an improvement - but still quite a ways to go.
It also only plays one song from that artist you choose.

Just updated to 121 (42) yesterday. After a few trips it stopped rescanning (I have all the power saving features turned on) and it actually resumed a USB album for me instead of the bluetooth phone. May have been a freak event so I will keep an eye on it.

BTW I cannot figure out how the USB search works either. Occasionally a few songs but never artists or albums.

Just updated to 121 (42) yesterday. After a few trips it stopped rescanning (I have all the power saving features turned on) and it actually resumed a USB album for me instead of the bluetooth phone. May have been a freak event so I will keep an eye on it.

BTW I cannot figure out how the USB search works either. Occasionally a few songs but never artists or albums.
I am still trying to find the pattern when it resumes and when it does not resume USB playback. Last night it was able to resume every time parked inside the garage. It didn't resume after I dropped off my kid on Tuesday (.121).