Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build quality - at what point has it become acceptable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering - a lot of articles i've read on Teslas make a mention to the effect of build quality being poor 'in the early models' - but unclear as to what would be considered the year range of 'early models' with build quality poor enough to be a common thread in industry articles?

I understand there are probably still improvements to be made, but would it be fair to say that by MY 2105 (or ??) that most of those have been ironed out? Thinking of things like rattles and squeaks, misaligned panels, things like that. The door handles, glitchy

I ask because I want to make sure I am not artificially limiting myself to some good deals on 2013 or 2014 models just because they're "early".

thoughts? Thanks!
adam

...but would it be fair to say that by MY 2105 (or ??) that most of those have been ironed out?...
Yes, possibly by 2105 they might have tops build quality 🤣

I owned a 2015 for 5 years, definitely they did not have the quality thing figured out (suspension rattle, lots of door handle issues, charge port issue, charge cable failed, many issues).

Newer is *always* better when it comes to Tesla. Hard to say with the S... I had a 2018 with lots of stupid little issues too (suspension, headlight, charge port door, charge cable, etc.). I would still avoid the S altogether IMHO after owning two Teslas I would only consider about a 2020-newer 3 in terms of quality roulette.

Last edited:
I have been reading these forums for a few years now and the 'build quality' is a tough one for me. Did Tesla fix the 'build problem' issues for the vast majority of those that were unfortunate to encounter them, or did they stick it to most of these customers? And were these 'build quality' issues cosmetic items for the most part, or issues that required recalls? I know we haven't had any issues with our 2017 S or 2019 3, so I am biased. On the other hand, we had major issues with GM models over the decades, especially with their Cadillacs. And then there were the expensive issues with BMW, and to a lesser extent, Lexus when out of the warranty period..................some might consider these delayed quality build issues.

Seems most, if not all, the major car manufacturers have had recalls in the last 10 years or so--------wonder if these quality build issues have run into the million+ number of vehicles yet?

Just food for thought.

Reactions: ayavner
Without being too anti on what is of course mainly an American forum, one has to judge build quality on different terms: Japanese and European quality is usually much better, with tighter panel gaps, paint etc.
My MS 2020 LR doesn't make me lose sleep too much despite gaps that I can stick a finger into but if I'd paid this much for a Honda, for example, I would probably have to take it back.

I spent some time in automotive, and the easiest answer to the question is that there comes a point where the final fit and finish harms unit sales.

Naturally some people don't care about gaps. Like if someone bought a 67 Chevelle with a 394, they only cared how fast and loud the thing was. Now-a-days, the same mentality persists that some people just want a Tesla that has the coolest tech and they don't care about the build. But naturally some buyers want cars to look nice and be built well. Unfortunately the boors who highly value the tech/speed think they're better than those that want quality and make it known on this forum how they think quality is silly.

For the automakers, they all raised the quality bar on what they tolerated going out of the plant in the mid 2000s. Prior to that, most gaps and flushness were just spot-checked with small samples being pulled off the line. So tolerances were really loose and it was more important that a car ran well instead of a car that was built well without rattles and air leakage.

But some automakers sought to improve their ability to get the pieces together well as a unique selling proposition that their cars were built well. Turns out getting the panel gaps to be very tight was easier than actually making the underlying tech and build better. Like getting 2 extra mpg out of a car is really difficult, but making the car look like a well built gem was easier. To that end, they started to use lasers, tools, and robots to measure gaps and fix them during assembly.

Hyundai had laser measuring on their cars; and there was no way someone at GM would allow their cars to be worse than a Hyundai. By the mid-2000's, all major automakers for the major Western and Asian markets had processes to ensure quality builds through measurement. This was to everyone's benefit since it meant newer cars were all built really well and the bar for assembly build quality has been raised.

If you really care about quality and you want the best EV right now, you're probably stuck with Tesla as the only option at this time. The other automakers are playing tech-catchup; and Tesla's tech beats build at this time. If/when the other automakers start to make EVs with tech that rivals Tesla, then suddenly Tesla may lose sales if they're hastily building poorly fitting panels and marred paint while the others are maintaining their build standards. And at that point, poor build may cost them sales. Until then, Tesla doesn't have to care much about build, and unfortunately it means neither should you if you want a Tesla.

I’m on my third tesla and the latest one (10 month old model x) is by FAR the worst build quality i’ve had. So far it has been at tesla for 5 weeks, one week at a time, and this includes things like repainting it fully. I have yet another service queued and this time they have to replace the door seals.

I guess my answer would be that it entirely depends on what your personal measure of “acceptable” is.

Despite Elon’s musings about wanting to get to the point where if a Model 3 is observed to be not in spec “the tape measure must be wrong,” I see no path to that level of quality in the foreseeable future. It’s not compatible with Tesla’s shirt-term objectives and frankly even if it was they couldn’t execute.

A Tesla is likely never to have what I’ll call “Japanese” levels of build quality and consistency. The best you can hope for in the near term is “good enough,” and one can argue that they’re basically there or close to it given the current wait time for every model.

If you approach a Tesla ownership experience expecting Toyota levels of quality with Mercedes levels of service, you’re gonna spend a lot of time banging your head against the wall and creating angry threads on here in disbelief of what you’re experiencing. Some people feel entitled and principled enough to take on that fight, but my general opinion is “ain’t nobody got time for that.”

My personal experience with the quality of my late 2016 Model S has been “fine”. It has generally held up well over 120,000 miles. There are some rough spots, I try not to look too close, but it’s still a beautiful car from 5+ feet away. 😆

More importantly, it’s been completely reliable and enjoyable over the past 5 years, and the powertrain and tech are unmatched in the market. That’s what I was paying for - not vanishing panel gaps and zero rattles.

I would say the build quality of my 2015 car was very good, bordering on excellent. One door gasket came loose in the first few months, which was fixed promptly. In my imagination, I think Tesla's factory "finally got it right" by then, but that was just before Model X was released, which was a nightmare for the manufacturing teams. Back then, you could stop by the service center and get something minor tweaked on the spot (and I did). Once they were busy with Model X, and even more so with Model 3, there was no more "dropping in" and so people probably were more bothered by little things that could have been quickly resolved previously. That's my theory, anyway.
But actually, it may well be that my car was not as good as I thought, because no one was talking about panel gaps back then, so far as I recall. Plus, I had never before purchased a new car, so I may have been naïve or ignorant of what "good build quality" even looks like.
My car had failures, like door handles, but I do not put that in the category of "build quality," which more accurately might be called "assembly quality." To me, the door handles were about design shortcomings. Design issues probably evolve more or less continuously as Tesla learns what works and what doesn't...

Just wondering - a lot of articles i've read on Teslas make a mention to the effect of build quality being poor 'in the early models' - but unclear as to what would be considered the year range of 'early models' with build quality poor enough to be a common thread in industry articles?

I understand there are probably still improvements to be made, but would it be fair to say that by MY 2105 (or ??) that most of those have been ironed out? Thinking of things like rattles and squeaks, misaligned panels, things like that. The door handles, glitchy

I ask because I want to make sure I am not artificially limiting myself to some good deals on 2013 or 2014 models just because they're "early".

thoughts? Thanks!
adam

I ordered a new Model Y and waiting delivery. I too read and heard of Tesla and their build quality issues. I have owned several cars over the years, and none seem to be perfect.

For example, I bought a 2018 Volvo XC 90 (Current Car). It had a lot of minor issues when I first got it. The brakes had issues within 10K. Software issues required me to bring the car back in. The BMWs I owned had issues with the door handle not auto unlocking the car when pulled on and the stereo speaker blew out. Also had one of their tires fail from a defect. The Mercedes I owned had bulbs burn out too often. The roof liner sagged at one area. All the cars I bought, were brand new.

With this being said, I suspect my new Tesla will have issues, but am optimistic that I can get them resolved in a timely manner.

Regarding build Tesla's build quality and improvements they make over time, I found some videos that Sandy Munro did where he breaks down a prior Model 3 and compares it with a new Model Y. Him and his company took the car down to the frame, looking at how the car is welded, and assembled.

Sandy Munro is an engineer that looks at all cars and provides large companies with details on how their systems work and sometimes suggest how they can improve or resolve problems with cars.

After watching his Tesla videos, it appears the changes Tesla makes over time are very good. For example, how wiring is done under the car is well done. Tesla also improved how they weld their car and improved suspension.

To check out his videos do a google search on "Sandy Munro Tesla YouTube"

• Informative
Reactions: ayavner and WhiteWi