TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

building a go kart

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by codagent, May 18, 2010.

1. codagent

codagent Member

do any of you know what it would take to build an EV go kart? Could it be possible for 1k or less? I was thinking something that put out about 15 HP..I already have the frame...I just want to sell the motor on my existing go kart and make it an EV. My Tesla Mini :D

2. user497

user497 Member

I did some research on this a couple months ago and this seemed to be the most promising site I found: http://www.electricgocarts.com/default.htm. It's more expensive than you are looking for but it may give you some ideas...

3. johnr

johnr Member

An electric drivetrain is fairly simple. Basically all you need is a motor, controller, throttle, batteries, and charger. A very low-powered e-kart (like 1-2 hp) could be made real cheap, but at 15 hp it will likely put you over $1000. You might check in with evparts.com, they sell all the electric components you'll need and I'm sure they'll have helpful advice as well.

4. codagent

codagent Member

okay, those are some epic websites. Thanks ;)