Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building a home in the wilderness with this vehicle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few different entities in Alabama willing to sell me land. I live in Florida. An idyllic place to retire, and I am about to move back to Alabama when I officially "retire." I grew up there. I went to Auburn, floated the creeks, fished the lakes and rivers, and creeks, and hunted squirrel and deer.
I live in a modest two-bedroom home on a barrier island on the Atlantic coast. I can watch Big E's spaceships take off from a seat in my backyard while I listen to the waves. On the 6th of January at about 9PM there is something going off, night launches are worth taking the effort to remember to go out and watch something else the Big E is doing well... First launch of 2020: SpaceX Starlink liftoff moves to Monday night
But Florida is too full now. I am going back to the woods. And four seasons.
And even though my home is only 980 sq.ft. it is still a bit too wasteful. I want to build at least one "tiny home" in the woods, looking out over a creek or river. Far from power lines. I am leaning towards solar or hydro providing the electricity.
But now here is the tie in... I was considering getting an older fifth wheel to put on the property and have it as my home while I build the tiny home from below the ground up. Now, I am entertaining living in the Tesla utility vehicle (some call it the cybertruck. I feel the name does it and those considering it an injustice.). And using the Tesla utility vehicle(TUV) for much of the build.

What the TUV can not provide. And thus these three items will be built first.
* Human waste processing (I'll have to buy a waterless toilet and enclose it. Outhouse.)
* Water (I'll have to dig a well)
* Electricity production (I'll have to build a solar array and store the electricity.)
Though in each of these areas the TUV could aid in supplying the need, such as heating the water on the tailgate electric grill when I want to take a shower in the Winter. And perhaps provide enough electricity for the power tools needed for constructing the solar array and outhouse.

What the TUV will do
* Lock box for the tools. It can't be stolen if it isn't left on site.
(The frunk, sail pillars, and below bed storage will take most of the tools I'll need to build a tiny home. And will provide power to recharge them overnight.)
* Mobile power
(Through being able to park next to wherever I am working and use the 110 and 220 outlets on the vehicle to power larger tools, or those used repeatedly throughout the day. The vehicle will be taking power from the storage aspect of the solar power system.)
* Sleeping Facilty.
(Actually a safer area than if I was sleeping at home because of the "sentry mode" and semi-bulletproof exterior of the vehicle. And greater comfort because of the ease of having a mattress within an uncompromised thermostatically-controlled bio-protected environment.)
* Material transport
(Yeah I am just writing something here to make it all look the same.)

Before this vehicle was a choice I was already in the planning stages of what I would need to do, and in what order. This vehicle will save me thousands of dollars. Perhaps around $10,000.
And be a far better solution than the alternative. Before I considered buying this vehicle I figured the first thing I would need to do is establish a temporary place on the site for me to live... either a secondhand trailer or build something quick and dirty, perhaps big enough to live in and store tools and material. the vehicle provides a wonderful place for me to sleep. I lived in a tent, with cardboard for a mattress, in college for about 9 months with absolutely no issues.
And though I will still need a building for supplies and the cheaper tools I won't have to make it as robust to keep thieves out as all the expensive gear will be stored in the vehicle. And there won't even be a portable generator or compressor to power the tools as the vehicle can quietly do that.
And the peace of mind? What's that worth.
To not have a sleepless night. to sleep in the perfect climate-controlled environment. To be surrounded by a bullet-proof enclosure that has a sentry mode, and is mobile if need be. I don't entertain a Zombie apocalypse, but some meth head country boys looking for something to steal and pawn is a real possibility. And now I feel comfortable that won't be possible.
To know all your tools are right there with you on the truck with all the portable power you need to run them. What's that worth to you? Peace of mind, and increased production.
This vehicle is not only going to be a dream. It is going to help build and fulfill dreams that were there before it existed. Many more people have already figured out how this vehicle will help them achieve their dreams.
This vehicle is not a "truck,"

Reactions: KenC
Do people actually eat squirrel?
When I was poor squirrel was the first non-chicken or hotdog meat I got in the Fall that wasn't my own caught fish.Till squirrel season came in it was mostly fish till the hunting seasons opened because fish were free. Squirrel season came in a good month before deer season. Once deer season was in and I could have a piece of red meat so big it needed cutting before I could eat it I felt like I was living the life.
And quite a few college girls got tricked into eating squirrel by me, and they liked it good enough to eat seconds once I told em what they ate.
So you can imagine what having a Tesla Utility Vehicle will make me feel like. And living in a home on a creek that stays warm in the Winter.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: scottf200
As I mentioned on the other forum, living in a truck will not be fun. I suggest you get a small travel trailer or camper trailer.

Where are you going to charge? Is electrical service available and connected already?

As I mentioned on the other forum, living in a truck will not be fun. I suggest you get a small travel trailer or camper trailer.

Where are you going to charge? Is electrical service available and connected already?
I stated that assembling a solar power system and storage will be done first thing. And I am very comfortable sleeping anywhere it isn't warm (>85 degrees). I've slept in a cheap pup tent while in college for 9 months. Originally my plan was to live in the tent for a few weeks, and then take over a lease at an extremely reduced rate when a student dropped out. After living in the tent for a few weeks I actually liked it So I stayed in the tent until Summer term. ( Having the $300+ in extra cash to party on instead of it disappearing in rent was another prime reason to stay in the tent.)

I have a few different entities in Alabama willing to sell me land. I live in Florida. An idyllic place to retire, and I am about to move back to Alabama when I officially "retire." I grew up there. I went to Auburn, floated the creeks, fished the lakes and rivers, and creeks, and hunted squirrel and deer.
I live in a modest two-bedroom home on a barrier island on the Atlantic coast. I can watch Big E's spaceships take off from a seat in my backyard while I listen to the waves. On the 6th of January at about 9PM there is something going off, night launches are worth taking the effort to remember to go out and watch something else the Big E is doing well... First launch of 2020: SpaceX Starlink liftoff moves to Monday night
But Florida is too full now. I am going back to the woods. And four seasons.
And even though my home is only 980 sq.ft. it is still a bit too wasteful. I want to build at least one "tiny home" in the woods, looking out over a creek or river. Far from power lines. I am leaning towards solar or hydro providing the electricity.
But now here is the tie in... I was considering getting an older fifth wheel to put on the property and have it as my home while I build the tiny home from below the ground up. Now, I am entertaining living in the Tesla utility vehicle (some call it the cybertruck. I feel the name does it and those considering it an injustice.). And using the Tesla utility vehicle(TUV) for much of the build.

What the TUV can not provide. And thus these three items will be built first.
* Human waste processing (I'll have to buy a waterless toilet and enclose it. Outhouse.)
* Water (I'll have to dig a well)
* Electricity production (I'll have to build a solar array and store the electricity.)
Though in each of these areas the TUV could aid in supplying the need, such as heating the water on the tailgate electric grill when I want to take a shower in the Winter. And perhaps provide enough electricity for the power tools needed for constructing the solar array and outhouse.

What the TUV will do
* Lock box for the tools. It can't be stolen if it isn't left on site.
(The frunk, sail pillars, and below bed storage will take most of the tools I'll need to build a tiny home. And will provide power to recharge them overnight.)
* Mobile power
(Through being able to park next to wherever I am working and use the 110 and 220 outlets on the vehicle to power larger tools, or those used repeatedly throughout the day. The vehicle will be taking power from the storage aspect of the solar power system.)
* Sleeping Facilty.
(Actually a safer area than if I was sleeping at home because of the "sentry mode" and semi-bulletproof exterior of the vehicle. And greater comfort because of the ease of having a mattress within an uncompromised thermostatically-controlled bio-protected environment.)
* Material transport
(Yeah I am just writing something here to make it all look the same.)

Before this vehicle was a choice I was already in the planning stages of what I would need to do, and in what order. This vehicle will save me thousands of dollars. Perhaps around $10,000.
And be a far better solution than the alternative. Before I considered buying this vehicle I figured the first thing I would need to do is establish a temporary place on the site for me to live... either a secondhand trailer or build something quick and dirty, perhaps big enough to live in and store tools and material. the vehicle provides a wonderful place for me to sleep. I lived in a tent, with cardboard for a mattress, in college for about 9 months with absolutely no issues.
And though I will still need a building for supplies and the cheaper tools I won't have to make it as robust to keep thieves out as all the expensive gear will be stored in the vehicle. And there won't even be a portable generator or compressor to power the tools as the vehicle can quietly do that.
And the peace of mind? What's that worth.
To not have a sleepless night. to sleep in the perfect climate-controlled environment. To be surrounded by a bullet-proof enclosure that has a sentry mode, and is mobile if need be. I don't entertain a Zombie apocalypse, but some meth head country boys looking for something to steal and pawn is a real possibility. And now I feel comfortable that won't be possible.
To know all your tools are right there with you on the truck with all the portable power you need to run them. What's that worth to you? Peace of mind, and increased production.
This vehicle is not only going to be a dream. It is going to help build and fulfill dreams that were there before it existed. Many more people have already figured out how this vehicle will help them achieve their dreams.
This vehicle is not a "truck,"
Where are you planing on charging the truck? If from solar better build a massive system with a huge battery bank and backup like wind or hydro, or hopefully be close to a supercharger? Probably looking at $50-70k+ to do it right.

I grew up on a 90 acre farm. We had chicken, pork. and beef. We had cousins that hunted Squirrel, and Rabbit. Fried Squirrel was my favorite. Now they are like pet's ..

STC_0055.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2012MS85
There's an alternative to your waterless toilet outhouse idea. A composting toilet.

I knew a guy who built a strawbale home. He had a composting toilet in the house. No odour. There was a fan attached to a small solar panel for aeration. The byproduct was fertilizer.

There's an alternative to your waterless toilet outhouse idea. A composting toilet.

I knew a guy who built a strawbale home. He had a composting toilet in the house. No odour. There was a fan attached to a small solar panel for aeration. The byproduct was fertilizer.
Yep, I've checked on all the latest shitters "Waterless" toilet was my choice of words to make the reader aware I would not have a septic tank or "city" water.

Where are you planing on charging the truck? If from solar better build a massive system with a huge battery bank and backup like wind or hydro, or hopefully be close to a supercharger? Probably looking at $50-70k+ to do it right.

When I am not using the air conditioner my monthly power use is right around 400KW. That is a 3000sq ft house with an electric water heater ,dishwasher, washer and drier, 60+ cfl and led light bulbs,3 tvs, wireless satellite and a well pump. That means that 13 KW a day will suffice to run a large house if you use a little common sense. It will NOT take anywhere near that investment to do what lafrisbee intends to do. The cyber truck will provide the battery bank and his living quarters and construction power use will not draw it down in less than a week. I have ordered the two motor truck and I have a transfer switch already installed. I will put in a large enough solar array to put 2 or 3 KW a day in the battery. In case of a power outage I can reduce my power consumption to 5 or 6 KW and so be able to run a freezer and fridge and some lights for a month or two.

When I am not using the air conditioner my monthly power use is right around 400KW. That is a 3000sq ft house with an electric water heater ,dishwasher, washer and drier, 60+ cfl and led light bulbs,3 tvs, wireless satellite and a well pump. That means that 13 KW a day will suffice to run a large house if you use a little common sense. It will NOT take anywhere near that investment to do what lafrisbee intends to do. The cyber truck will provide the battery bank and his living quarters and construction power use will not draw it down in less than a week. I have ordered the two motor truck and I have a transfer switch already installed. I will put in a large enough solar array to put 2 or 3 KW a day in the battery. In case of a power outage I can reduce my power consumption to 5 or 6 KW and so be able to run a freezer and fridge and some lights for a month or two.
I’ve done 5 solar systems now mostly myself. Started with a 600w on my camper then a 1.8kw off grid 12v with battery bank for our cabin finally a 7kw hybrid on/off grid with battery bank and wind on our house then helped friends with another 2 cabins. Unless you are in a few very select areas in the US (mostly high SW plateau) and have great un-obstructed sun exposure solar alone isn’t a good stand alone option. And we’ve seen nothing to say that the CT can be used as a battery bank, 220 inverter but that’s hardly the same as a battery bank. And even if you were banking on the truck as a battery bank what happens when the truck battery gets low? And it’s middle of winter? Gray and overcast for 2-3 weeks? Snow on the panels? Then what?

If for his cabin charging the truck wasn’t in the equation you could do a pretty awesome 12v DC solar system for $3-5k. If you wanted to do a system large enough to run a small AC unit as well and traditional 110 AC outlets $6-8k. If you add charging the truck and do it your self with a 6kw system your looking at $6k for the panels, $20k+ for mounting racks, wiring, conduit, breakers, , hardware +- a tracker, $500-$1k charge controller(s), $2k for an inverter, $10k for hydro electric or $10-15k+ for a wind turbine, and $20k (AGM) to $40k (Li) for a 40kwh (equivalent) battery bank. And all those figures are without paying anyone for labor.

A few things most people don’t realize about solar: first, most systems are grid tied so if the grid goes down you solar doesn't work, it’s not as easy as a transfer switch. Also for off grid functionality Even under direct sun solar (or wind) does not produce a consistent enough amp to start up any appliance or run much load so you need a battery bank large enough to support whatever you want to run/charge, basically the batteries run the electric system and the solar charges the batteries.

The more I think about it if it were me going off grid in the near future to retire to a cabin in the woods it makes way more sense to spend $10-15k up front and go on sportsman’s guide or CTD and get a cabin tent, cot, outdoor kitchen, wood stove, camp shower, water filter/system, and get a 9k generator, beater 3/4 ton truck and ATV. Then build the cabin with a super nice 12v DC system or AC system if need to run A/C and large freezer capacity, that way would be out <$20k for power system, truck, camp, ATV vs $100k+ for a CT and system to charge it.

finally @larryboy. Last November we had a 7.1 earthquake and I lost power for 2 days. Like I said I have a 7kw solar hybrid system. My battery bank is on a 2nd breaker panel that only runs the necessities: water pumps for heat, well pump, and our kitchen. Heat, water heater, stove, oven are all NG and gas didn’t go down. My battery bank is a 15kw AGM and I have it set to 80% it was cloudy/stormy and gray and with my 7kw system I made <2kw/day and on day 2 Battery was down to 20% and couldn’t overcome the load required to run the heat water pumps so had to start my 9k 220 generator (my back up to solar at the time) to recharge the batteries. Luckily shorty after we got power back. After that I also installed a wind turbine as it is almost always breezy at my house. So basically whatever size solar you think you need add another 50% and whatever size battery you think you need at least double it.

I’ve done 5 solar systems now mostly myself. Started with a 600w on my camper then a 1.8kw off grid 12v with battery bank for our cabin finally a 7kw hybrid on/off grid with battery bank and wind on our house then helped friends with another 2 cabins. Unless you are in a few very select areas in the US (mostly high SW plateau) and have great un-obstructed sun exposure solar alone isn’t a good stand alone option. And we’ve seen nothing to say that the CT can be used as a battery bank, 220 inverter but that’s hardly the same as a battery bank. And even if you were banking on the truck as a battery bank what happens when the truck battery gets low? And it’s middle of winter? Gray and overcast for 2-3 weeks? Snow on the panels? Then what?

If for his cabin charging the truck wasn’t in the equation you could do a pretty awesome 12v DC solar system for $3-5k. If you wanted to do a system large enough to run a small AC unit as well and traditional 110 AC outlets $6-8k. If you add charging the truck and do it your self with a 6kw system your looking at $6k for the panels, $20k+ for mounting racks, wiring, conduit, breakers, , hardware +- a tracker, $500-$1k charge controller(s), $2k for an inverter, $10k for hydro electric or $10-15k+ for a wind turbine, and $20k (AGM) to $40k (Li) for a 40kwh (equivalent) battery bank. And all those figures are without paying anyone for labor.

A few things most people don’t realize about solar: first, most systems are grid tied so if the grid goes down you solar doesn't work, it’s not as easy as a transfer switch. Also for off grid functionality Even under direct sun solar (or wind) does not produce a consistent enough amp to start up any appliance or run much load so you need a battery bank large enough to support whatever you want to run/charge, basically the batteries run the electric system and the solar charges the batteries.

The more I think about it if it were me going off grid in the near future to retire to a cabin in the woods it makes way more sense to spend $10-15k up front and go on sportsman’s guide or CTD and get a cabin tent, cot, outdoor kitchen, wood stove, camp shower, water filter/system, and get a 9k generator, beater 3/4 ton truck and ATV. Then build the cabin with a super nice 12v DC system or AC system if need to run A/C and large freezer capacity, that way would be out <$20k for power system, truck, camp, ATV vs $100k+ for a CT and system to charge it.

finally @larryboy. Last November we had a 7.1 earthquake and I lost power for 2 days. Like I said I have a 7kw solar hybrid system. My battery bank is on a 2nd breaker panel that only runs the necessities: water pumps for heat, well pump, and our kitchen. Heat, water heater, stove, oven are all NG and gas didn’t go down. My battery bank is a 15kw AGM and I have it set to 80% it was cloudy/stormy and gray and with my 7kw system I made <2kw/day and on day 2 Battery was down to 20% and couldn’t overcome the load required to run the heat water pumps so had to start my 9k 220 generator (my back up to solar at the time) to recharge the batteries. Luckily shorty after we got power back. After that I also installed a wind turbine as it is almost always breezy at my house. So basically whatever size solar you think you need add another 50% and whatever size battery you think you need at least double it.

Lafrisbee lives in Alabama, just about as close to the equator as you are to the North pole. He will get much more power from a solar panel than you do. All he really wants to do is run some power tools to build a cabin. He intends to live IN the cyber truck while he is building it. coleAK said that he would need to spend 50K+ to have power on his build site. I suggested he could do it for much less. I got a quote of $5K to put electricity in my barn. I only wanted some lights and the ability to run a battery charger and small compressor. I got three small panels, controller, inverter and the biggest deep cycle battery at Costco for around $400. That would be adequate for his purposes. He does not need a rack, tracker, conduit or any other expensive stuff. He can mount the panels on a small trailer (mine are on a garden cart) and turn it to face the sun when he happens to walk by.
The adaptors or whatever to allow Lafrisbee to charge his truck from solar panels while drawing 120V power at the same time may not exist right now but I am pretty sure that in the two years before the truck is available either Elon or some aftermarket guy will come up with whatever is needed. His Cyber will probably have a 150KW battery while your solar has a 15KW. I think he will be OK.

I am gonna turn this thread in another direction, by posting this.
(And I think this needs its own thread so I am going to make a thread for it as well...please be considerate and if you are going to talk about this thing in general find the thread with "Quasar" in the title So your insight will reach people interested in it.
If you got some insight about what I broached in this thread I'd appreciate you posting it here...
But this damn thing is going to change quite a few orders...the need for powerwalls is still there, but this will be a solution to quite a few folks.
Wallbox Introduces Quasar, First Bidirectional Home Charger at CES 2020 | Markets Insider

Last edited:
Reactions: coleAK
Lafrisbee lives in Alabama, just about as close to the equator as you are to the North pole. He will get much more power from a solar panel than you do. All he really wants to do is run some power tools to build a cabin. He intends to live IN the cyber truck while he is building it. coleAK said that he would need to spend 50K+ to have power on his build site. I suggested he could do it for much less. I got a quote of $5K to put electricity in my barn. I only wanted some lights and the ability to run a battery charger and small compressor. I got three small panels, controller, inverter and the biggest deep cycle battery at Costco for around $400. That would be adequate for his purposes. He does not need a rack, tracker, conduit or any other expensive stuff. He can mount the panels on a small trailer (mine are on a garden cart) and turn it to face the sun when he happens to walk by.
The adaptors or whatever to allow Lafrisbee to charge his truck from solar panels while drawing 120V power at the same time may not exist right now but I am pretty sure that in the two years before the truck is available either Elon or some aftermarket guy will come up with whatever is needed. His Cyber will probably have a 150KW battery while your solar has a 15KW. I think he will be OK.
Will he get much more power for solar in AL? In the summer I get 20 hours of sun on my panels... and panels are more efficient in high elevations, low humidity, and cold. And there are mountains, lots of trees, stormy seasons, snow, all in parts of AL. So not like he is talking about high desert of AZ, NM, or SoCA.

and yes $5k for solar on a barn is reasonable, did you read my post? It only gets way up there if charging the CT is in the equation. As for the tracker I said +- (plus or minus), that would add another $10k. Of the 2 cabins I helped buddies with one is in northern AZ so similar latitude (but not solar efficiency) to AL.

The system you got from Costco is similar to what I put on my camper and cabin, it will charge a phone/tablet and run small 12v appliances. No matter how many panels you have it Can’t come close to charge a Tesla. I’m just trying to be helpful since I have a lot of personal experience with solar and off grid power/cabins and have had Tesla (s) for 4 years in a place where my closest supercharger is farther from me then Atlanta to San Diego, so have experience with creative charging solutions. A little more than a portable solar system from Costco.

I am gonna turn this thread in another direction, by posting this.
(And I think this needs its own thread so I am going to make a thread for it as well...please be considerate and if you are going to talk about this thing in general find the thread with "Quasar" in the title So your insight will reach people interested in it.
If you got some insight about what I broached in this thread I'd appreciate you posting it here...
But this damn thing is going to change quite a few orders...the need for powerwalls is still there, but this will be a solution to quite a few folks.
Wallbox Introduces Quasar, First Bidirectional Home Charger at CES 2020 | Markets Insider
Nice! Things like this is why when I built the system on our house 4 years ago did a minimal AGM battery bank. I figured by the time my batteries were due to replace at ~7 years there would be much better options out there.

Now go find the thread about it and post that there......please.

Don't exactly understand that.^ You kind of started a thread about building a home in the wilderness with the vehicle. The thread will wander on its own. Kind of hard to control.

I too am considering installing enough solar to power a truck. If and when we can see Tesla do a reverse car/truck powerwall I am all in. Before that with aftermarket I would be hesitant. My guess is so will Tesla be a little hesitant. After all there is a semi competing business.

I will have to agree with @coleAK. A complete solar setup for higher usage power is tough. Trust me I am looking at it right now in ID, and MT. Numbers aren't great. Tie in to the grid would even it out and make it more realistic, but my properties require a long line in as in....never. So bury multi thousand gallon propane(I cringe) with gene.

Reactions: coleAK
I am not a fan of having people just say stuff when people actually read threads mecause they want to know about a topic that was the reason the person started the thread.
Now if I started a thread about me living in the wilderness and its title was
"I could sure use this", Then I could see how others would chime in.
As it was I thought people might want to talk about the Quasar. And they sure as hell won't find your idea about in my thread.
But if you post it here:
Quasar makes your car a big damn powerwall...OK Elon...what you think?
And then it won't hijack this thread