Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building an off grid Solar Powered (EV charging) Campground

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outdoors

🌲🛶⛺️🏔♻︎🙂
Supporting Member
A dream of mine for many years well before my love for EV's came about, was an off grid campground. I wanted a place that could be enjoyed by family and friends. The idea was to be remote and far away from the daily grind they might live in today. My goal here is to tell a story through pictures and small captions to explain the process, and where we are at today. 10 pictures per post, so I will break it up into a couple posts. Might not have any response till I get it all out there. I will direct technical questions to @nwdiver.

First. If you don't know, or are not extremely competent around electricity hire an expert. That is what I did. Highly suggested for a solar installation. Second. This forum is filled with many people I respect around electricity, and would define them as experts. Keep in mind this is a FOB (Forward Operating Base). Not a long term setup. Not a complete setup. Some of the setups here are not code. Do not interpret that we intend to leave these items this way.

So after a number of years I found my campground. Really thought about connecting, but saw the price tag. More than a mile, and a monthly fee that was higher than I wanted to pay. So went to Sound of Silence in SD. Wanted to see really two people at the event. One person I wanted to meet was sitting next to me at the first mingle. @nwdiver and I chatted, and the next thing I know he had already had two site visits done, and the plan was ready. Just had to wait till the following year.

Had to do some clearing for some benches for tents and trailers. This area was run over by fire a number of years ago. Also quite a slope.
PXL_20210628_232816179.MP.jpg

PXL_20210629_185758125.MP.jpg

Untitled_Panorama22_a_3.jpg

Camping to me is solitude, but one of the issues is often power in a remote setting for periods of time. I have solar panels on my Airstream, but not enough to run a well pump, and wanted to avoid the dreaded generator. We had one that ran the well. It was on the first of the things to go. You could hear it over 3/4 of a mile a way when on.
PXL_20220715_160334400.MP.jpg

IMG_4726_2 (1).jpg
If one looks at the front of the well drilling rig there is a drop off into a large ravine. We will talk about that later. :confused:
PXL_20210921_220637854.MP_2.jpg

Septic and well installed. Septic permit took forever with thankfully no engineering. Lot of explaining however. Things take time in small towns. Best thing is you get to talk to people face to face. A rarity these days. Don't be in a rush. Be respectful, take your hat off, and ask nicely. Goes along way.
PXL_20220716_005850563.MP.jpg

So with swearing to not use the generator, getting water out of the creek was getting old. Down that ravine all 70 feet of it. That was end of the well truck. So the race was on to install a temporary 20 panels and wire up an RV pedestal.
PXL_20220716_233641478.MP.jpg

There is Chris Dizon from Endless Energy. You may know him as @nwdiver. It was in the 90's so that umbrella was a lifesaver. 40's in the morning, and then the furnace started. RV Pedestal can allow charge to the Electric Bikes and run the trailer, and home office setup in the Bell tent, and of course the well pump. Will show EV later
PXL_20220717_023143786.MP.jpg

So we lost one panel on the pallet. They did sit out for a couple late season snow storms. We figured that into the math. Very thankful to have a local neighbor have this all delivered before we moved up here for the installation.

Last edited:
PXL_20220717_173356459.MP.jpg

So a temporary set up on logs. Yes logs. Was also the time to test our runs as we were expecting 1000 foot DC runs halfway up mountain ultimately where the racking and panels would be permanently mounted. Wanted to confirm that our line losses would be acceptable.
PXL_20220729_171505176.MP.jpg

1,000 ft. 6/3 Black Stranded AL Erskine URD Cable each.
IMG_20220602_112958_2.jpg

So during one of @nwdiver site visits he selected a site that would give us best exposure in the winter months as the sun we get in the summer was more than abundant for our needs. See the red dot. That means a lot of work, and panels will likely not be seen from campsite. We ultimately went slightly below that spot as we had a nice level spot for the lower legs of the ground mounts.
PXL_20220718_144238093.MP.jpg
PXL_20220718_214206688.MP.jpg

So cutting trail to site took about two days. Elevation gain was about 650 feet from road, and 400 feet higher than campsite. Everything we had was brought up by hand. About a 10 minute hike with nothing carried.
PXL_20220718_220434060.MP.jpg

Area around the panels needs to be cleared. This process will continue till we can burn our slash piles in November. More trees need to come down, but we aren't in any hurry now.
PXL_20220719_170953855.MP.jpg

PXL_20220721_150213595.MP.jpg

We really had no idea how we were going to get these holes done. Auger would go through top, and then it was all by hand and rock bar. Even a 24" tugsten bit to crack the rocks in the bottom of hole. We were contemplating a helicopter for heavy equipment as a nearby fire had us eyeing it every day. Digging 16 holes primary by hand gave me much appreciation for times of yesteryear.

PXL_20220725_181534733.MP.jpg

PXL_20220721_181920703.MP_2.jpg

So times weren't too bad. We took a break for some whitewater rafting, and an outdoor shower with a view.

PXL_20220727_232442344.MP.jpg

Let the fun begin. First off getting structural galvanized pipe is neither cheap nor easy to get. This is not fence post stuff. This weighs 13 lbs a foot. And 4 of them had to be carried up without being cut. Then coupled together to make the horizontal bars. My local well driller ordered it for me and had it delivered on his last order. Saved me over a thousand. I did have to move it to the jobsite however.
PXL_20220803_155244924.MP.jpg

IMG_20220803_143110.jpg

So when you can't find more than 3 people including yourself to do a job you have to start thinking outside the box. Friend helping on the job knew some members of the local football team, and the next thing I knew I was hosting a weight training session during a solar install. Those last couple feet were incredible, and the trail we cut a few weeks earlier looks like it has been there for years.
PXL_20220803_020218552.MP.jpg

So taking cement up the hill was a chore. I will cover how we did it without water. 10 bags at 75 lbs a piece. I know the wrapping looks suspect. Dropping a bag leads to a empty bag.
PXL_20220804_143258377.MP.jpg

So here we are starting to see some progress. Have our resident Karelian Bear Dog supervising. Getting those pipes up high was scary and rewarding at the same time.
PXL_20220804_161651504.MP.jpg

PXL_20220806_171302379.MP.jpg

PXL_20220804_145419835.MP.jpg

So the process to make the mortar involved us screening and cleaning rocks to be put in layer after layer in the masonry cement. I really found this the most rudimentary aspect of the entire project. Each layer is hand tamped down until post doesn't move. Repeat the process. After this winter the water from snow and moisture from cement will be added making it like you added it at the beginning. From there we will be adding 24 steel wire tie downs adding 750 lbs of downforce per wire.

PXL_20220806_171027964.PANO.jpg
IMG_20220811_170845.jpg
PXL_20220806_025805212.MP_2.jpg

So that is where we are at. From uncertainty at the beginning to feeling validated on the long distance DC runs I can't wait to have a great fall. Have a temporary setup till then. I will keep everyone posted. Working with Chris from Endless was a lifesaver. His background and knowledge was beyond anything I could find. Thankful he took on such a crazy job on the other side of the country. Please look him up @nwdiver.

This is really amazing, thanks for sharing.

============================

(moderator note)

After receiving approval from @outdoors , moved thread to Tesla Energy subforum. I believe the members of this subforum might find this content particularly interesting, even though it is not specifically a tesla energy product.

Thanks again @outdoors for sharing your journey and pictures.

Last edited:
So how did we store our batteries? Which kind did we use. How about charge controller?

Looking at the off grid situation and not being sure about acquiring Tesla Powerwalls we went a different direction. Little strange putting it in a shed, but it works, and will be making some adjustments to sealing and insulation along with heating. Yes the rack cabinet has its feet on the top for a reason.
PXL_20220716_182125027.MP_2.jpg

Initially we ordered 6 of the following batteries. Ultimately will have 12 and another 12k Solar-Ark. Great thing is the design of the system is very expandable almost like a rack of computer servers.

Marketing:
7000 Deep-Cycle Cells 10 year warranty PC Monitoring Software Parallel up to 16 batteries Rack Mount Design Welded Prismatic Cell Connections BMS Communications Charge & discharge with confidence thanks to our long life batteries. Have peace of mind knowing we will be there to take care of you should something go wrong! See real-time statistics of your battery. Get the most power possible! Up to 81.9kWh while maintaining BMS communications! 4U server rack mounting makes it convenient to store Never worry about losing power due to a loose internal connection! Let your batteries control their charging.

Also went with a 12k Sol-Ark all in one solution. This is really the brain behind the system other than the installer.
IMG_4836.jpeg

The Sol-Ark allows the batteries to be charged up to whatever % you want. Let's say 75%, and then it will be smart. See the 💡. That allows the car to start charging at the rate predertmined once the batteries reach certain point. So the sun rises taps off batteries and car gets it without having to do anything.
It could also start a generator automatically in emergency situations, and also handle the incoming grid if I had one.

We will likely have a small 5kW backup propane generator. While intent is to never use. Should be able to do this once my town has a DCFC(planned not broken ground). Right now if our Tesla's were VTH capable I would have to leave the car in town for a day to get a charge to get it back to provide emergency back up. Once DCFC goes in which for the most part they say is powered by Hydro I should be propane free.

PXL_20220716_153648353.MP.jpg
Connections. I always am learning, and Chris @nwdiver would always quiz me on the system, and how things work, and why connections are so important to be done right.

71hXLT6oluL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a little more than a crimp. It's like ten tons. Bad connections=heat as energy is never lost. Heat=fire

The 'smart load' function on the Sol-Ark was particularly helpful. You can program it to start/stop charging at a what ever battery SOC you want. So you can maximize how much solar you're able to utilize to charge cars without worrying about fully discharging the battery or cutting power to other loads.

Very nice How many camp sites will you have? Will each site be able to fully charge your car and power the camper at the same time.? Is the site accessible all year?
Thanks 👍🏼

2 sites with power via a pedestal.
1 site we use eco flow for computers
We have a HPWC and a Nema/14-50 so two cars. Smart load allows them to run at same time.

Don't confuse with an RV park. I have shut down a string of RVs before in a RV park. I charge at a much lower rate as I am not in any hurry for range. So running both at same time is not an issue.

Snow is an issue sometimes, but it is mainly ice in shoulder seasons. So spiked tires get around here pretty well.

I camp in the winter, and the mini split we are putting on the airstream should negate the need for the horribly inefficient propane heater.
Is the road dirt? If so is it easily passable with a car towing a camper during Snow melt and Rain storms or does the road get too muddy requiring a 4x4
Road is dirt. Didn't really have an issue fitting my trailer. No giant rigs amongst family and friends. More tents than anything.

The airstream is permanent. My towing days are behind me. So the airstream is more of a gathering place.

Reactions: ohmman
Really cool thread!

When I was a kid, my family owned a ranch that was off-grid and about 10 miles to the nearest power line. It had 2 diesel generators (primary and backup) -- and even with using oil drums buried in the ground as mufflers, you could always hear the generator hum close to a mile away (and in the generator building it was way too loud...). I sometimes think about how that place would be different today -- solar with batteries could easily replace the generators...

So how did we store our batteries? Which kind did we use. How about charge controller?

Looking at the off grid situation and not being sure about acquiring Tesla Powerwalls we went a different direction. Little strange putting it in a shed, but it works, and will be making some adjustments to sealing and insulation along with heating. Yes the rack cabinet has its feet on the top for a reason.
View attachment 849574
Initially we ordered 6 of the following batteries. Ultimately will have 12 and another 12k Solar-Ark. Great thing is the design of the system is very expandable almost like a rack of computer servers.

Marketing:
7000 Deep-Cycle Cells 10 year warranty PC Monitoring Software Parallel up to 16 batteries Rack Mount Design Welded Prismatic Cell Connections BMS Communications Charge & discharge with confidence thanks to our long life batteries. Have peace of mind knowing we will be there to take care of you should something go wrong! See real-time statistics of your battery. Get the most power possible! Up to 81.9kWh while maintaining BMS communications! 4U server rack mounting makes it convenient to store Never worry about losing power due to a loose internal connection! Let your batteries control their charging.

Also went with a 12k Sol-Ark all in one solution. This is really the brain behind the system other than the installer.
View attachment 849571
The Sol-Ark allows the batteries to be charged up to whatever % you want. Let's say 75%, and then it will be smart. See the 💡. That allows the car to start charging at the rate predertmined once the batteries reach certain point. So the sun rises taps off batteries and car gets it without having to do anything.
It could also start a generator automatically in emergency situations, and also handle the incoming grid if I had one.

We will likely have a small 5kW backup propane generator. While intent is to never use. Should be able to do this once my town has a DCFC(planned not broken ground). Right now if our Tesla's were VTH capable I would have to leave the car in town for a day to get a charge to get it back to provide emergency back up. Once DCFC goes in which for the most part they say is powered by Hydro I should be propane free.

View attachment 849573Connections. I always am learning, and Chris @nwdiver would always quiz me on the system, and how things work, and why connections are so important to be done right.

View attachment 849579
It's a little more than a crimp. It's like ten tons. Bad connections=heat as energy is never lost. Heat=fire

Great project!
Just curious, why did you pick Sol-Ark for a pure off-grid setup? What other inverters did you consider?

Great project!
Just curious, why did you pick Sol-Ark for a pure off-grid setup? What other inverters did you consider?

The Sol-Ark is a little bit of overkill but what makes it stand out the most is the quality of the inverter. The features that were absolutely needed for this project were a MPPT >400vdc, 240v, generator tie-in and high surge capacity for running the well pump. There are other lower cost inverters that could have met most of these requirements but not in a single inverter and not with the same quality. EG4 and GroWatt have inverters with similar capability but they can't operate in parallel with a generator. Magnum Energy can operate in parallel with inverters or a generator but you need to add a separate charge controller which would make a similar system more expensive and complex than the Sol-Ark.

The ability of the inverter to AC couple also adds another level of flexibility. This is a feature EG4 and GroWatt inverters lack. Any grid-tie inverter up to 9.6kWac can be added in the future doubling the amount of solar available.

For just a camp ground outside of winter with EV charging a EG4 or GroWatt would be sufficient but the end goal of this system is to ultimately power a home on the site which is going to require a backup generator.