Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building code Plano Texas for NEMA 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see some Plano folks posting and was wondering if any of you know how far from the floor the electrical outlet has to be?

Someone once told me Plano requires 4 feet above the floor for an outlet in a garage. I've also heard 18". I'm hoping 18" as it would be much easier to put the outlet under the breaker box, about 2-3 ft above the floor.

After an hour of googling, I think I have figured it out. If we have any electricians on here, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So the overall code that buildings must follow is the NEC, National Electric Code. Each city uses NEC and then decides what amendments they require in their city. So I looked up city amendments and there's very little for electrical work. It's basically NEC. Some more searches lead to an electricians forum where they discussed this exact issue and concluded that NEC does not require any specific height off the floor for a garage outlet. The did agree on a 18" minimum as a recommendation. The 4ft number was also mentioned for 110 outlets in case you intend to put in a workbench. But they are just recommendations.

In case anyone is curious, here's the Plano city page with their amendments:

Plano, TX - Official Website - Codes & Ordinances

Yeah, just follow NEC. Stick with 6-3 wire, 50A double-pole breaker, and torqued down lugs on a 14-50. I'm City of Dallas (Far North Dallas) and it's the same thing with NEC. My outlet is 25' away from my breaker box and 6' off the ground. The only thing warm is the UMC cord which is normal.

Got my 14-50 installed today. Man that 6 gauge wire is a pain to work with! I used a metal electrical box, with screw-on cable clamps. Done very much to code, can't imagine ever having a problem with it. The supplies were about $55 with the most expensive part being the 50A double breaker.

NEMA14-50_zpsb03a1fe1.jpg

Got my 14-50 installed today. Man that 6 gauge wire is a pain to work with! I used a metal electrical box, with screw-on cable clamps. Done very much to code, can't imagine ever having a problem with it. The supplies were about $55 with the most expensive part being the 50A double breaker.

Awesome job! Way to go saving that money, too! As long as the lugs on the outlet AND the breaker work torqued way down, you should never have a problem with charging. I was at HD the other day and it looks like they are now normally stocking 6-3 romex. It used to be special order. I wonder what's changed? ;)

Hahah, yeah I was talking to the guy they have that's an actual licensed electrician (had some question on the cable clamps) and he asked why I needed a 50A garage outlet. Told him EV charging and he said "man, EVERYONE is doing that lately".