Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building DC Fast Chargers in Wyoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because Electrify America has only 3 chargers slated for i-80 (cheyenne to slc) and 3 for i-25 (denver to billings) and the only non-Tesla DC FC is a 50kW in the Jackson Town Garage, I've decided to push to build out fast chargers in Wyoming.

The first location I'm currently working on is in Afton with a single dual plug charger with 1 CHAdeMO and 1 CCS plug on a 125kw shared charger. Assuming the build out for that is successful, I'm going to build more locations in 2022 hopefully with grants from the infrastructure bill if it passes through Congress.

Any thoughts or opinions or recommendations on sites is welcome. I have ideas for next towns to site, but a lot will depend on where I can get partnerships for land (like with convenience stores).

Well, I'd hope for CCS sites about halfway in between all the existing Superchargers, at or near I/US/WY highway interchanges. That way if/when Tesla makes adapters for CCS to Tesla and Tesla to CCS the charging options in Wyoming will be incredible for all modern EV drivers.

Bear in mind CHAdeMO is dead. Long live CCS.

I-80
Fort Bridge or Little America
Red Desert or Wamsutter
Elk Mountain

I-25
Chugwater
Orin or Douglas
Kaycee and/or Buffalo

US-189
Kemmerer
Daniel

US-191
Farson

US-287
Lander

US-26
Shoshoni
Casper

US-14
Cody
Greybull

US-20
Worland
Crowley or Lovell

Because Electrify America has only 3 chargers slated for i-80 (cheyenne to slc) and 3 for i-25 (denver to billings) and the only non-Tesla DC FC is a 50kW in the Jackson Town Garage, I've decided to push to build out fast chargers in Wyoming.

The first location I'm currently working on is in Afton with a single dual plug charger with 1 CHAdeMO and 1 CCS plug on a 125kw shared charger. Assuming the build out for that is successful, I'm going to build more locations in 2022 hopefully with grants from the infrastructure bill if it passes through Congress.

Any thoughts or opinions or recommendations on sites is welcome. I have ideas for next towns to site, but a lot will depend on where I can get partnerships for land (like with convenience stores).

Nice! In my view, Shoshone and Cody would be strategically sited to help fill the biggest gaps. Cody should have lots of potential options for hosts; not so much in Shoshone...

p.s. Has EA announced specific sites along I-80 and I-25, or just the number of sites?

Glad to hear! About 2 years ago (as the sole Tesla owner in Afton), I contacted Tesla about installing a supercharger here- it's a long haul from Evanston to Jackson. I had no luck but they did offer a free destination charger.