Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building/Fire code: can't install charger in garage? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh Gawd, yeah I tried that. It gave me a headache and a respect for electricians, who I previously didn't really think had all that much training. The code book is insane!
Maybe lookup the relevant code for your jurisdiction. Should be available online.
Oh Gawd, yeah I tried that. It gave me a headache and a respect for electricians, who I previously didn't really think had all that much training. The code book is insane!

Okay, your area operates different than here in California. Here, the local building inspection department handles all permits within a city/town (building, electrical, gas, plumbing, etc). There is no special separate statewide body that does this.
I'm learning new things as I go :). The following is for those that are curious. None of this is important.

This is from the Authority's FAQ regarding local jurisdiction:
BC Safety Authority has jurisdiction for permits and inspections in almost all BC municipalities, districts, and aboriginal lands for the following technologies: Electrical; Gas; Boilers, Pressure Vessels and Refrigeration; Elevating Devices, Amusement Devices; Passenger Ropeways; and Railways.

Some municipalities administer their own electrical and gas permits, as follows:

Jurisdictions for Permits and Inspections
City/District Electrical Gas
Burnaby City City*
Kelowna BCSA City*
Maple Ridge City City*
North Vancouver (City) City City*
North Vancouver (District) City City*
Richmond BCSA City*
Surrey City BCSA
Vancouver City City*
Victoria City BCSA
West Vancouver City BCSA

Sorry, I guess I can't paste the table nicely. That shows a city followed by two columns (electrical and gas respectively) showing if the city handles their own permit/inspection or if it goes to the BCSA. Note my info says I'm in Kelowna, but actually I live in West Kelowna, which is a (relatively new) distinct city so I think we're BCSA for both.

I now know who to call if I want to install an "Amusement Device" :)

I've got a used Model S on the way in a week, and I had an electrician come out to install a charger. I figure my situation is pretty typical. The electrical panel is in the house on the shared wall that separates the garage from the house, but one level down from the garage (garage on main floor, panel in walk out basement). To me, it was an easy install. Just run a short wire from the panel through the wall and install the charger on the garage side of the wall.

Easy, right?

But he says "no". He tells me that the Fire code doesn't allow for penetrating the fire rated wall between the garage and living space. He told me he could do it, but when I said I wanted a permit so I wouldn't have any insurance problems, he said it wouldn't pass inspection.

I can't be the only one with a panel inside and wanting a charger in the garage. What did other people do?
are there other exterior walls where the outlet could be installed?

I sorta thought the same, and started reading the NEC (USA code), and wondering how some Electricians I've run into could actually be one.... :confused:

Reactions: bcsteeve
I have a charger in my garage. Installed by electrician. Properly permitted and inspected.

They ran the wires in steel conduit and sealed the hole in the wall from the house to the garage with red fire block putty.