TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Building inspector won't approve transfer switch

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by cwoernle, Apr 26, 2018.

1. cwoernle

cwoernle Member

Ordered my M3, hired an electrician to assess home charging options, and he concluded the best option was to install a transfer switch to utilize the clothes dryer line. Sounded good to me. Alas, he calls back to say the building inspector would not approve a transfer switch set-up. So my only option is a dedicated circuit that will cost over $2300 and come with installation and home appearance negatives. Evidently this is a local building code issue. Am bummed and have thought about canceling my order, but I guess that is a $3500 loss. Will call the building inspection folks and hope for a different answer. Have others encountered building code issues?

2. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

May be giving some more detail about the layout of the garage, where the electric panel is located,
    and the detail content of the $2300 estimate would help understanding the situation.
    Also is it a separate house or a condo situation.... Are you the owner of the place...

I'am just thinking about some other options:
    - What about if you decided having a second dryer next to the one you have?
    would adding a second plug and a new line from the panel cost $2300?

- Do you really need a dryer? I live in northern California, and honestly I just hang my clothes overnight.
    I think that a dryer takes about 5 kwh, I prefer drive about 15 miles instead.
    You live quite in the south, unless you have a very humid weather, can you live without a dryer.
    If so, use the plug for your car instead, and manually connect the dryer on few occasions
    when you really need to use the dryer.

- Can you have a separate meter just for the car charger, especially if you get special night rate.
    If so, what would be the cost of installing a separate meter next to your car.
    I just wonder who would pay for the installation of a separate meter? (PG&E or the user?)

Note: Sorry, not answering directly to your question since I didn't experienced such code issues.

3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

#3 FlatSix911, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    You don't need a transfer switch for the dryer circuit ... just use this: Dryer Buddy™ No affiliation with the product. :cool:
    upload_2018-4-26_3-8-30.png

• Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  4. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

$2300! Damn.

I would think in Alabama it would be more reasonable. I am just one state over and am getting the HPWC installed on a dedicated circuit at 60 Amps for $900 and that's including the cost of the charger. Sorry to hear about this. I would DEFFINITELY get a second and third opinion.

Dan

5. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

I was just thinking a little more on it. Are you being told that you will have to upgrade your service to the house? That is the only way I could remotely see the $2300 quote.

Dan

6. cmaster

cmaster Member

If you have a 200 amp main, you can get the job done at around 500$.

My setup (90feet to charger):

1. 90 amp breaker
    2. 90 Aluminum #2 Ser
    3. 100 Amp Quick Disconnect (from ebay for 50$)
    4. 5 Feet Copper #4

From the main breaker feed 90 feet Aluminum into new 90 Amp breaker at one end. The other, feed into the disconnect switch. From disconnect switch. use copper wire into charger.

It will meet most building codes, if not all, in your town. Wherever a conduit is needed, that must be used to meet NEC.

7. SoAmpt

SoAmpt Member

I am not an electrician.

I have a two story home with the electrical panel in a separate garage from the vehicles. Long story short, a dedicated line wouldn't work in my situation but my laundry utilities are on the same wall as my garage. I ended up installing a heavy duty light switch in the utility room and a second dryer outlet in the garage. I did the labor myself. Adding a couple of junction boxes and connecting the wires isn't difficult. It cost me under $100 and took a couple hours. I've been safely using the setup for four months.

Attached Files:

8. cwoernle

cwoernle Member

Update--chief building inspector was ok with using a transfer switch! Now exploring with Tesla and city issue of existing dryer line is 3-wire, not 4-. Fingers crossed. Thanks for above replies.

• Like x 3
  9. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Your Tesla doesn't need four wires. And as long that the outlet is correct for the wire, I can't image it being a problem with your city.

• Like x 1
  10. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

Can't install new 3 wire in every place I've been. 4 wire is required for all new installs I've seen. Even so, all I do is run 4 wire and jump neutral/ ground at the junction.

11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I am guessing you haven’t visited the South much in the summer. “Frog-strangler” is a weather phenomena down in those parts.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

Or you know dry clothes like normal people.

13. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

If 3-wire becomes an issue it may end up cheaper to install a HPWC instead of an outlet as I believe that only requires 3-wire.

• Like x 1
  14. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

It's not really just the number of wires that is the problem. It's what they are connected to. The 6-XX series of outlets are three wire and are still fine to install, like 6-20, 6-30, 6-50, etc. Those are 240V with two hot lines and a ground. What is not allowed and has been discontinued since the mid 90's is the 10-XX series, where they are 120/240V, but use two hots and a neutral, but no dedicated ground.

So yeah, the comment that the dryer is 3-wire means it's a 10-30, with no ground. New builds cannot install those anymore, so if the wiring run from the panel to that location is just the hot1, hot2, and neutral, you probably can't get approval to install something new on that wiring run.

• Informative x 2
  15. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

No I installed charging options myself. While I followed codes there is no need at least here to involve a building inspector.

• Like x 1
  16. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

I have heard there could be issues with connecting neutral to ground. For example, surge protectors might route excess energy from a surge over to the ground, then the ground connection conducts that energy back into the neutral connection that shouldn't be there. From my understanding, such an event could lead to overloads / equipment failures.

So I think it's safer to keep ground grounded and neutral neutral :)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Building inspectors are like a box of chocolates Forrest...

• Funny x 2
  18. davewill

davewill Active Member

Yeah, you would have to have a 6-30 on the EVSE side of the transfer switch, repurposing the neutral as a ground, but I don't think the inspector is likely to allow that, even though that's in essence what Tesla's 10-30 adapter does. Worse, I don't think there's a 6-30 adapter for the mobile connector, just a 6-50 one. I think you're going to end up running a new circuit, unfortunately.

19. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

Well that suck for the surge protector. nuteral and ground are bonded at the box. Take your breaker cover off and you'll see nuteral and ground going into the same bars.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  20. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yes, of course they are. That is the requirement of the electric code. The code specifies that they MUST be tied together there and ONLY there. They are to be separate and not interchangeable throughout the rest of the building's wiring. And that is for good safety reasons. They are both supposed to nominally be 0V potential, but they serve different purposes, and one carries current while the other does not (isn't supposed to).

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1