Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building my own Supercharger at my business.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP's profile says he lives in San Diego, but he doesn't say where his business is, only that it's 200 miles away. Since he's still in the research stage, and California is full of SCs, I'm wondering if he has checked out the SC maps to see if there is one that he could use either currently, or in the near future. He may only need to top off enough to reach one instead of thinking in terms of getting a full charge at the business.

Last edited:
We'll if we know the 10kW charger from Tesla cost $3600 included installation
The charger it self is probably 2000 so multiply that with the power you need 4x 6x 8x or go all the way as 12x
We probably need to add 2000 for box,cable & controller
Alternative get hold on a J1772 Combo and replace the cable with one from the supercharger

You should try to get them to sell you one. I would think that a 90kW unit should be in the $15k to $30k range ( without a transformer ).
They may not be ready to sell them yet, but they need to figure it out. They need to figure out how to get others to install superchargers and fill out the rest of the supercharger network that isnt on the main routes they plan to cover.
If I were Tesla I would definitely have two price levels, a higher price for private only installations that includes some profit for them, and a minimal or no profit price for public installations.

+1

I agree with others that a HPWC on a 100 A breaker, with dual chargers, is the best solution for the OP.

However Tesla needs to sell Superchargers to interested businesses, governments, and even individuals.

Tesla also should allow third party charger OEMs, like AeroVironment, ABB, etc to buy US and European supercharger plugs for the Model S. This would enable multi-standard DC fast chargers suitable for government and business owned destinations.

DC fast charging at destinations will be a big enabler for EVs, but they must have plugs compatable with the cars.

GSP

You should try to get them to sell you one. I would think that a 90kW unit should be in the $15k to $30k range ( without a transformer ).
They may not be ready to sell them yet, but they need to figure it out. They need to figure out how to get others to install superchargers and fill out the rest of the supercharger network that isnt on the main routes they plan to cover.
If I were Tesla I would definitely have two price levels, a higher price for private only installations that includes some profit for them, and a minimal or no profit price for public installations.

+1

I agree with others that a HPWC on a 100 A breaker, with dual chargers, is the best solution for the OP.

However Tesla needs to sell Superchargers to interested businesses, governments, and even individuals.

Tesla also should allow third party charger OEMs, like AeroVironment, ABB, etc to buy US and European supercharger plugs for the Model S. This would enable multi-standard DC fast chargers suitable for government and business owned destinations.

DC fast charging at destinations will be a big enabler for EVs, but they must have plugs compatable with the cars.

GSP

I doubt Tesla would sell a Supercharger just for one car any time soon. However, I agree that they will eventually have occasion to sell or license the technology to others. I think that Tesla would sell or lease a Supercharger or two to a business that has a fleet of Teslas. A limo service that purchased say 50 Model Ss or Xs would be a good candidate. Who knows, for a big purchase maybe Elon would throw in a Supercharger for free.

When there are hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road I could envision Tesla building a new revenue stream by partnering with others to license the technology, and build third party Superchargers at various destinations that are not necessarily on major highways. Instead of following the gas station model, it would make sense for Tesla to partner with EVSE manufacturers and interested shopping malls, resorts, theme parks, etc. to install Supercharging stations. Tesla wouldn't be picking up the entire tab for Supercharger expansion as they are currently.

Larry

One of the issues with Superchargers is their maintenance. This isn't some install it and forget it piece of equipment. It has fluids and mechanical parts that wear out. Each of them is monitored 24x7 and has a small team of repair techs.

One of the issues with Superchargers is their maintenance. This isn't some install it and forget it piece of equipment. It has fluids and mechanical parts that wear out. Each of them is monitored 24x7 and has a small team of repair techs.

True, and that's exactly what would have to continue if Superchargers were sold or leased or if the technology was licensed to others.

Larry

If only 208V is available and 240-250V is needed, a transformer should do the job nicely.

Here is one source: Buck/Boost Transformer Prices - Transformer Online The 85-Y050 for $498 should do fine. 125A CB on the input and/or 100A CB on the output; Why settle for 208V? :wink: More description at Buck/Boost Transformers, Buck Sizing Tables, and Buck Wiring Diagrams

For $500 for a transformer, and probably $1,000 by the time you are done, have fun squeezing out that last 10-15% in charge rate. :biggrin:

Maintenance isn't just a Supercharger issue, it's an issue for all public charging infrastructure. But do the Superchargers really have any fluids in them? I find it hard to believe that they'd be water cooled, but perhaps they are since they use the same base charger that is used in the car itself...

Maintenance isn't just a Supercharger issue, it's an issue for all public charging infrastructure. But do the Superchargers really have any fluids in them? I find it hard to believe that they'd be water cooled, but perhaps they are since they use the same base charger that is used in the car itself...

Yes, water cooled. Remember, their are 9-13x10kW chargers for each supercharger kiosk (Shared between A & B parking spaces). Current maximum 120kw charging, is a LOT of power. To make it easier to understand how much power that really is, although not the most accurate, just putting it in more understandable numbers, the average home has a 100 to 200 amp service from the power company, at usually 240v (USA as example). Now, at 120kW charge rate, being dumped into your car, would be 500 amps at 240v. So your using the equivalent of 2.5-5 houses worth of power, being dumped into your cars battery pack.

Now, it's calculated a bit differently when using the 3phase, and higher incoming voltages from the transformer, but like I said, just trying to put it into more common easier to understand perspective. I did not even take into consideration the overhead for sustained draw, if you do that, you would need at minimum 600 amp service at 240v single phase. If it were a 50kW CHAdeMO station, a 240 amp 240v service would be needed.

Point being, a LOT of heat is generated. + Inefficiencies of the chargers (about 92% efficiency of the chargers means that 8% of power going in is wasted as heat, so even more overhead). The wasted heat due to the inefficiency would be about the same as running a 40 amp 240v space heater (or once again, easier for some to understand, a would be 80 amp at 120v space heater, that's bigger then most electric furnaces for homes!).
EDIT: Calculation correction, would be about the same as running 5.3 x 1,500 watt space heaters or roughly 27,000 BTU of heat added. My 2 story home furnace (though gas) is 35,000 btu in Chilly Milwaukee Wisconsin.
I know my calculations may be a bit off. cut me some slack :)