TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Building new garage in Fort Lauderdale.....

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Norseman, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Norseman

Norseman Member

Any leads on good contractors and architects?

Right now We have a 1,5 car garage. Been that way for 16 years since we bought the house.
    Now toying with the idea of buying a Tesla Model S, perfect time to put up a new garage.
    A guy on the next street over are doing the same and it turned into a nightmare, so at least I know
    which contractor not to use..:scared:

Talled to to one builder who gave me a rough estimate of $50k for a 2.5 car garage and 6 months build time.
    Drawings were $5k from one architect I met with.

Need second opinions for sure. Price of $50k is probably ok, but 6 months for building a darn garage seems excessive.

Anybody with recent experience doing the same In SE Florida...?

2. squadra

squadra Member

Drawings is a bit expensive especially if it is a simple garage
    Construction should be 90$/square foot.

However because of the demand in constructions price are going crazy! My contractor told my that some of his sub contractor are asking double from 2-3 years ago.

I can put you in touch with my contractor, he is very reliable.

3. Norseman

Norseman Member

That be great.
    I will need severeal estimates and good recommendations.
    (Preferably a fast contractor/builder who knows the Permit Game)

Yeah, simple garage, but need to add spaces for washer/dryer and a 1/2 bath. Also need work benches and stuff.
    Pretty much a 2.5 car garage with some goodies. Also have to work on up the roof:
    House is from the mid-50s with a Bermuda type roof, kind of concrete. Rock solid and weathered many a hurricane. It will be hard to match the new garage roof to the house roof however. Not sure how to crack that nut. Hopefully a good architect have some tricks up his sleeve.
    That is the project in a nut shell, should be fairly simple (yeah right).
    First thing to do is to take soil samples to see if I can even build or pour a slab right there.
    Need to get the garage before I order a Tesla: It may not even fit in my present garage. Had my E-500 Wagon in the garage, pretty snug fit. The Tesla may be bigger...(?)

4. primetime

primetime Member

Any update on the construction Norseman?