Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building new home with 4 garage spaces.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am debating what chargers I need for a my new home. With copper prices 300% higher now, its not as cheap to run a 6 gauge wire. We have a Model Y now but planning on a Cybertruck as well. Also would like to future proof my home since maybe in 10 years, all vehicles will be EV.

Dryer power outlet is $500
Tesla charger wiring is $1000.

I thought about having 2 tesla chargers, but maybe its too much. I thought about maybe 2 dryer outlets plus one Tesla charger.

Our garage is very similar to yours but only from door 2 through door 4 (so pretend garage 1 isn't there). We actually have room where we can park a 4th car in the "wedge" (where you have the red "CT Parked here text"). We have 3 load-balanced gen 2 wall connectors with 24' cables and each can reach multiple cars. The are installed where you have indicated A, B and C locations.

In our garage (but with your garage bay numbers):
The A wall connector can reach cars in garage 2, the "wedge" and garage 3.
The B wall connector can reach cars in garage 2, the "wedge", garage 3 and garage 4. This is probably the best location for you if you are only installing one wall connector since it could potentially reach garages 2, 3 and 4.
The C wall connector 4 can reach cars in garage 3 and garage 4.

As I mentioned before, we have the gen 2 wall connectors which are load-balanced via a communications wire and have 24' cables. The newer gen 3 wall connectors only have 20' cables and currently don't have load balancing enabled. You can get larger cables installed, if necessary.

It really shouldn't cost twice as much to install a Tesla wall connector vs. a 14-30 outlet. If you are spending the money on a new house/garage, it's not that much more to set up the garage for future vehicles. Also, there's still a tax credit where you can get 30% back on expenses (labor and materials) for installing home charging infrastructure. We've taken advantage of this tax credit twice, first to install two 14-50 outlets and then years later to install the 3 Tesla wall connectors. There could be local incentives as well.

20210518_090049.jpg

IMG_20210518_090158_471.jpg

Edit: It looks like you removed your garage plans. For those reading this later, it was laid out similar to our garage but with another bay (garage 1) where the red wall is pictured above.

Last edited:
The cost of putting in an outlet is a small percentage of the cost of the house, and you won't notice it near as much now as you would if you waited and had an electrician put one in later. I put in two chargers, and this was before I had any Teslas. Now I have two. Planning ahead is way smarter than trying to catch up later.

And you don't need "Tesla Chargers". All you need is a 14-50 outlet (one step above a "dryer outlet"). The cars probably came with a charge cord that plugs into that outlet, and though they are slower than the Tesla chargers, you probably have all night, and it doesn't take that long. I have two 14-50 outlets, each on their own 50 amp breaker of course, and we've never needed more. I would not buy a Tesla charger, because I, and most people, simply do not need to charge that fast. I don't even know how long it takes to charge, because I'm asleep.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 9.35.15 AM copy.jpg

Here's the photo again. Disappeared from first one.

Space 3 has the largest space, so planning on parking Cybertruck there.
I was thinking Tesla chargers on A and C pillar, but the wire would have to go behind the Cybertruck everytime I charge it.

My other thought was, having a Tesla charger on B but maybe have 14-50 on C and near the window on the left of 1. Or even on A. But the Tesla charger should be able to reach space 2. Two 14-50s would be similar price to one Tesla charger. Only negative is that it's slower and its not as neat as the Tesla charger.

But like some of you guys said, it doesnt have to be fast. 14-50 is fast enough. Thanks all

Reactions: pilotSteve
Our garage is very similar to yours but only from door 2 through door 4 (so pretend garage 1 isn't there). We actually have room where we can park a 4th car in the "wedge" (where you have the red "CT Parked here text"). We have 3 load-balanced gen 2 wall connectors with 24' cables and each can reach multiple cars. The are installed where you have indicated A, B and C locations.

In our garage (but with your garage bay numbers):
The A wall connector can reach cars in garage 2, the "wedge" and garage 3.
The B wall connector can reach cars in garage 2, the "wedge", garage 3 and garage 4. This is probably the best location for you if you are only installing one wall connector since it could potentially reach garages 2, 3 and 4.
The C wall connector 4 can reach cars in garage 3 and garage 4.

As I mentioned before, we have the gen 2 wall connectors which are load-balanced via a communications wire and have 24' cables. The newer gen 3 wall connectors only have 20' cables and currently don't have load balancing enabled. You can get larger cables installed, if necessary.

It really shouldn't cost twice as much to install a Tesla wall connector vs. a 14-30 outlet. If you are spending the money on a new house/garage, it's not that much more to set up the garage for future vehicles. Also, there's still a tax credit where you can get 30% back on expenses (labor and materials) for installing home charging infrastructure. We've taken advantage of this tax credit twice, first to install two 14-50 outlets and then years later to install the 3 Tesla wall connectors. There could be local incentives as well.

View attachment 663428
View attachment 663427

Edit: It looks like you removed your garage plans. For those reading this later, it was laid out similar to our garage but with another bay (garage 1) where the red wall is pictured above.

Awesome looking garage!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
And you don't need "Tesla Chargers".
True.
All you need is a 14-50 outlet (one step above a "dryer outlet").
Doesn't need. The dryer outlets are fine.
The cars probably came with a charge cord that plugs into that outlet,
No, they have not included the 14-50 plug for well over a year now. People need to buy the plug for whatever kind of outlet they are getting installed. And with the Tesla charging cable only doing a maximum of 32A now anyway, using 14-30 outlets with 24A draw is not too far off of that anyway.

Basically 10 gauge wires for 30A circuits or 6 gauge wires for 50A circuits. (There is a possibility to go with 8 gauge if it's separate wires in conduit, but I would still recommend 6 gauge.)
Fwiw, #6 in conduit is good for 60A (but #6 Romex is only good for 50A)

If I were in OP’s spot, I’d put a 100A subpanel in the garage if the main panel isn’t there already and run #6 3 wire (hot/hot/neutral) plus #10 ground in 3/4” flexible metal conduit to deep double gang junction boxes at an appropriate height in each column. You won’t need the neutrals for Tesla chargers but who knows what the future holds and it’s cheap to run it now and it leaves you with the option of swapping 14-50’s in the future for just the cost of the outlet.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker