Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building new house with EV charging outlet in the garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Jersey is doing rebates on electrical car connection equipment. Further, by State Law, if you've got the kind of Wall Connector that can report usage to a designated Mothership (which, sadly, the Gen 3 Tesla WC won't do, I asked), you get reduced rates for those kW-hr's from the local utility.

I happen to own a Gen 2 WC; but it has no internet connectivity, anyway, and, having solar on the roof, I'm paying a pittance for electricity in any case, so no point in upgrading.

Reactions: howardnj
We had a 50 amp circuit installed with a NEMA 14-50 plug (Romex 6/3, wish I had gone with 4/3 but too late now). Originally I was using a Clipper Creek HSC-50P corded EVSE but after selling our Volt I opted to buy a new Gen 3 WC and add an appliance cord to it so I could retain the 14-50 plug should the WC crap out.
UMF2qJO.jpg

I will update the outlet as the one they installed looks generic. But since I don't plug and unplug the WC I'm not stressing it.

My cost during construction was $300
What settings do you have on your HPWC? 6/3 Romex is rated at 55A which means EV charging at 44A max. You need to set your HPWC for a 50A circuit which means 40A charging. Just because 48A is less than 50A doesn't mean it works that way.

Thanks to all for your posts here and especially @Tronguy for the very detailed information.

I just recently took delivery of my new Model Y and I’m about to begin construction on a new home — I know practically nothing about electrical work so this thread has been super helpful. Thank you!

🙏

Thanks to all for your posts here and especially @Tronguy for the very detailed information.

I just recently took delivery of my new Model Y and I’m about to begin construction on a new home — I know practically nothing about electrical work so this thread has been super helpful. Thank you!

🙏
One last thing. Take a good look at Solar. See this link for details. Looks like about 5 years return on investment and No Electrical Costs For The Rest of Your Life.

Reactions: SMC-tx
I bought one of the "cheap" 220 volt outlets ten years ago.. Mobile connector generally sits plugged in there, month after month, unless I'm going on a vacation where there won't be superchargers. Which is nowhere. I use my mobile connector almost daily to charge my S, and have never had any problems with it or with the outlet.

All this excitement about the plug wearing out is a bunch of hooey. If, per long chance, the outlet fails, that's what we have circuit breakers for. It will not burn the house down. And an 80 amp charger on the wall can have the same problems with hookup and wiring, so there's still danger. I find, though, that the 220 volt outlet is simple and reliable, year after year. I've got all night to charge, so the wall connector is just a waste of money.

When I expanded my garage, I put a 150 amp subpanel in the garage. I can exceed that.
MY AWD: 48 amps
M3: 32 amps
Van: 30 amps
Heaters: 84 amps (42 each)
Lights: 12 amps (2 sets, one on each leg)
Air compressor...
I don't exceed my capacity because my van charges when it gets home (2 hours max), the M3 charges at midnight, the MY charges around 3 AM, and my heaters only run when I'm working in the garage.

Bottom line: For new construction, consider putting in more capacity than you think you'll need.

Reactions: SMC-tx
What do I need so I can charge a Tesla Model Y?

On Tesla’s website, I see Wall Charger and NEMA 14-50, would either of these work? Do I just plug it in the outlet and will charge Tesla?

Edit: The builder builds houses with these EV charging outlets included so I assume they are 240V
I would ask them to run cable for a 60 amp connection. That way you can install a 14-50 (Industrial grade - not Leviton) with a 40 amp breaker for 32 amp draw with the mobile charger. You will be able to upgrade to a wall charger if you wish by replacing the breaker with a 60 amp, removing the 14-50 outlet and installing the HPWC right over the outlet hole using the stud that is already there. That's what I did anyway...

Reactions: Casperr
I would ask them to run cable for a 60 amp connection. That way you can install a 14-50 (Industrial grade - not Leviton) with a 40 amp breaker for 32 amp draw with the mobile charger. You will be able to upgrade to a wall charger if you wish by replacing the breaker with a 60 amp, removing the 14-50 outlet and installing the HPWC right over the outlet hole using the stud that is already there. That's what I did anyway...
Actually Tesla recommends a 50 amp breaker for the 14-50