Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building the Full Metal Starship testbed: Starhopper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HVM

Savolainen
Oct 30, 2012
Finland
SpaceX seem to be building a water tower to Boca Chica launch site:
index.php
Ohh wait, some support struts:
index.php

Odd metal rings.
index.php

Rings start to tapper...
index.php

That's the godda*mn f**in spaceship!

Image (c) bocachicagal NSF

Attachments

• Img_0992s.jpg
    Img_0992s.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 2,341
  • Img_1024s.jpg
    Img_1024s.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 1,560
  • Img_0996s.jpg
    Img_0996s.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Img_1019s.jpg
    Img_1019s.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 1,230
Last edited by a moderator:
I really think that this is the grasshopper version of Starship, not a mockup. Flimsy looking metal is for the nosecone and not yet used for supersonic flight. And bottom part's welding looks ok, it's just cleaned up with angle grinder. It's also possible they use smaller acctual tanks for the hops.

E0937F6E-3566-4679-9969-CBFD2FF0DB95.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
From Twitter:

Chris (Robotbeat):
"You got something to show us in Texas?"

Everyday Astronaut:
"Stainless steel balloon tanks. Heavy metal. Calling it now. Welcome Atlas back Atlas B."

Elon:
"Stainless steel is correct, but different mixture of alloys & new architecture. Unlike Atlas, Starship is buckling stable on launchpad even when unpressurized. While there are some material similarities, Starship is very different from the Atlas design
----
Yup. Actually, the only significant design element in common with early Atlas is stainless steel & we’re using a different alloy mix. I super ♥️ 300 Series Stainless!"

Martin { God of Mars }:
"Who makes that Alloy? SpaceX or supplier?"

Elon:
"For sheet/plate, at supplier made to our spec. For cast, in our Hawthorne foundry."

Muddy Schmuck:
"What is being made in San Pedro now? Will you return to manufacturing in San Pedro after the initial prototype or do you think Texas manufacturing is the way to go?"

Elon:
"We’re building subsections of the Starship Mk I orbital design there.
---
This test hopper is at full body diameter of 9m / 30 ft, just not full height. Super Heavy will be full height & diameter."

Last edited:
Wow! This is exciting. Seeing the nosecone photo posted by@HVM convinced me, and then I saw Elon’s tweets, which confirmed.

Elon seems to be evading the quesiton of where the Super Heavy and Starship will be primarily built, only confirming that the Starship “subsections” are being built in San Pedro CA.

Great photo. A little off topic, capturing that moonrise (moonset?) brings back the memories today. SpaceX will certainly be considering camera angles during the dearMoon mission. Just released from NASA Goddard, Earthrise explained in 4K.

Thanks for sharing. So beautiful and iconic. The video brought me to tears. I recommend putting it in the pinned art/photo section.

Reactions: Mike1080i