Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Built in Austin? Look for the "A" in VIN digit 11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drone footage is now showing Model Y cars lined up outside the Austin factory, and more being assembled inside. Perhaps we're almost there.

According to InsideEVs, the build factory is digit 11 of the VIN. Digit 10 is the year, with "N" for 2022. Digit 11 is the factory, "F" for Fremont and "A" for Austin. So Austin MY should have a VIN ending in NAxxxxxx. Here's hoping someone sees the first one soon at their delivery! Add to that the new processor and 12V battery, and even the drone footage of what appears to be 4680 battery activity at Austin, looks like we're on the verge of a new generation of Y's.

The last daily video I looked at on that YouTube site, still had a lot of equipment missing from the roof. I doubt they are close and think there will be a big announcement when they are officially in production. Elon is apparently going to Berlin this weekend, the thinking being that he'll be announcing the opening of the factory there. Hard to believe that they won't make a big deal out the opening in Texas as well.

Received my VIN Today! 2/1/2022, Ordered a Performance Y in Late October 2021! 7SAYGDEF4NF***** Looks like a Fremont car! Judging and/or speculating from drone footage. Maybe Austin is only making the long range. Love to see some other VIN's and orders to confirm!

My Original Estimated Delivery Date was: December! Then changed to Jan 8- Feb 8, Then to Feb 14 - March 14, Now Feb 18- Feb 22. 🙂🙃😉
Received VIN this morning 2/1/2022. To be clear, no complaints here... Just re-telling the delay of dates story... So if you need the car... don't rely on dates being accurate... The estimate is considerably understated. Hoping I get the structural Battery pack and 4680 batteries..

My Original Estimated Delivery Date was: December! Then changed to Jan 8- Feb 8, Then to Feb 14 - March 14, Now Feb 18- Feb 22. 🙂🙃😉
Received VIN this morning 2/1/2022. To be clear, no complaints here... Just re-telling the delay of dates story... So if you need the car... don't rely on dates being accurate... The estimate is considerably understated. Hoping I get the structural Battery pack and 4680 batteries..
Well, if you have a VIN, you can tell what it has. F for Fremont, A for Austin. I'm betting it is Fremont.

Reactions: LawrenceKS
Received my VIN Today! 2/1/2022, Ordered a Performance Y in Late October 2021! 7SAYGDEF4NF***** Looks like a Fremont car! Judging and/or speculating from drone footage. Maybe Austin is only making the long range. Love to see some other VIN's and orders to confirm!
Have you reached out to your SA and asked them which battery pack you are getting? Wondering if they are able to look at your build sheet and tell you if you car will have the structural battery pack and 4680 batteries? Worth a shot. Just because it is coming from Fremont doesn't mean it will not have the upgrade. Congrats either way.

Have you reached out to your SA and asked them which battery pack you are getting? Wondering if they are able to look at your build sheet and tell you if you car will have the structural battery pack and 4680 batteries? Worth a shot. Just because it is coming from Fremont doesn't mean it will not have the upgrade. Congrats either way.
It will most likely have the heated windshield wipers, Ryzen, and if MYP, the matrix headlights. It won't have the 4680s, the first ones will come from Austin, and the best-case scenario, according to Tesla is March.

Reactions: Fairchild
Thanks for the suggestion about the SA! I reached out to Tesla Sales Associate TSA! and.. they confirmed still using the 2170 battery and non-structural battery pack from Fremont Factory. I ordered a Model Y, Performance, Blue, white seats, Tow , and no FSD. It is already built and being shipped. Delivery date estimated 2/17/2022. Once VIN is assigned (2/1/2022) they said about 3 days for DMV to recognize the VIN in the system. My insurance company confirmed that they did not see it in the system 24hrs after Tesla sent VIN... Pretty excited to get the car! I wish it had the 4680 structural battery. Guess we will see if a March delivery gets an Austin VIN! Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion about the SA! I reached out to Tesla Sales Associate TSA! and.. they confirmed still using the 2170 battery and non-structural battery pack from Fremont Factory. I ordered a Model Y, Performance, Blue, white seats, Tow , and no FSD. It is already built and being shipped. Delivery date estimated 2/17/2022. Once VIN is assigned (2/1/2022) they said about 3 days for DMV to recognize the VIN in the system. My insurance company confirmed that they did not see it in the system 24hrs after Tesla sent VIN... Pretty excited to get the car! I wish it had the 4680 structural battery. Guess we will see if a March delivery gets an Austin VIN! Good Luck!
Congrats! I'm also in Tampa with a MYP on order. When did you place your order?

I just got my VIN for MYP ordered 12/8/21, delivery expected 2/17-3/3.....Fremont build.
For those who are really wanting that Austin built Y just look at what 2022 MY's are selling for. I am seeing some listed $10,000 over purchase price and there are not many 2022's listed for sale across the country. Makes you feel better about getting your hands on a new one just the way you ordered it! Congrats

For those who are really wanting that Austin built Y just look at what 2022 MY's are selling for. I am seeing some listed $10,000 over purchase price and there are not many 2022's listed for sale across the country. Makes you feel better about getting your hands on a new one just the way you ordered it! Congrats
Why does your signature say 4680? Do you have reliable confirmation about the battery chemistry on your (from your signature) yet to be delivered MYP?