Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Built in Austin? Look for the "A" in VIN digit 11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they left sentry mode on when they did the range test. Or ran the ac, listened to the radio, had to traverse a .00001% grade, used a driver who weighs more than 97 lbs…or any of the thousands of other things that makes the EPA “real world” range test complete BS.
that’s a pretty optimistic take on it. Tesla has typically escaped with numbers they can sell that are def on the high side. The 280 is probably real.

If the 279-mile range AWD has LFP batteries, it could be an excellent lower priced fun performing car, good for winter in the North. Remember that LFP batteries can be routinely charged to 100%, giving it out of the garage in the morning range about the same as my LR AWD charged to 85%. I rarely take road trips. The smaller battery pack will make the car lighter even with the less dense LFP batteries and will probably leave performance equal to the LR AWD. It sounds like an excellent money saver best produce in Fremont while the 4680s do the Austin structural battery pack LR Model Ys.
Except it isn't lighter to that extent. It is only 25# lighter which is what the front cast should provide. That means the battery is the same weight at 68 kwh usable as the old 80 kwh usable one. 15% less range but same weight. This is what you get with LFP. Battery day promising less weight was with NCA 4680. If they switch to LFP the lower energy density means you need more space for the same storage as we see here.

Except the EPA filings explicitly say it is not an LFP. It is some variant on the current Y chemistry.
Actually they don't. They say lithium ion. So does the current application for the Model 3 RWD. The name change to RWD from SR+ came after the battery chemistry was changed to LFP. EPA must clasify LFP as a lithium ion chemistry since it uses lithium even though the battery industry seems to separate it.
1647374686458.png

Maybe they left sentry mode on when they did the range test. Or ran the ac, listened to the radio, had to traverse a .00001% grade, used a driver who weighs more than 97 lbs…or any of the thousands of other things that makes the EPA “real world” range test complete BS.
The application shows all the settings. In detail. In fact, you can set your car the same way and put it in dyno mode if you'd like. Go to the nice color slides. And as stated before, the tests are done on a dyno in a warehouse. There is no grade or wind or anything like that. They can chill the room and do a 25 degree test. If you look at the ranges reported, 380 for UDDS and 342.7 for highway. Sometimes they do the cold weather, sometimes not. As you can see, both are well above 280. There is a factor that is used to add in for drag and the like to get 280.

As far as real world range, it depends how you test. Edmunds got 317 miles on a 326 rated LR MY. Much higher than peolpe report as their real world. But edmonds charged to 100 and ran until the vehicle stopped. You can't do this in real world but that is how cars are rated. If you want the 10-90% range then you have to start at 264 miles not 330. That is what people need to understand. It is not Tesla's fault that this is how the EPA rates things. Sure, they could lock off the top 10% battery allowing you to charge to "100%" but then the car would be rated for 297 miles. They play within the rules given to them.
1647375135303.png

EPA range tests are done in a lab on a dyno. See this page for the test schedules which include speeds and times.

Reactions: advocate8
EPA range tests are done in a lab on a dyno. See this page for the test schedules which include speeds and times.
straight from Teslas application for the 2021 LR AWD MY.
1647470650501.png

Now way, to that's way to depressing.
It’s only depressing if you bought into the rumors and hype that Austin 4680 would be a superior car to what Fremont is producing. Hype people make money by spreading things. Their money is made even if the hype doesn’t pan out. No ones fault but the person buying into the hype.

Now, there may be a LR AWD 4680 MY coming out of Austin in the future but they have not submitted for certification with EPA. This could mean it has the same specs as the current MY LR and doesn’t need to be retested for range. No one knows until we see actual cars delivered.

…. It’s only depressing if you bought into the rumors and hype that Austin 4680 would be a superior car to what Fremont is producing. Hype people make money by spreading things. Their money is made even if the hype doesn’t pan out. No ones fault but the person buying into the hype. …

I can not believe the hype that people have built up around the Austin factory and 4680 cells. It’s like they are talking about the second coming of Christ. It has been an entertaining distraction while I wait for my car.

Anyway I’m getting a Fremont 2170 car and I’m perfectly fine with that, as I’d rather have the time tested design. Should be here the end of next week and looking forward to it.

Looks like the event last night implied 4680s are coming out of Austin now. Since they have started delivering, will be great to see someone post they really do have an "A" in their VIN. My new Y is due next month, fingers crossed on an Austin car.

I can not believe the hype that people have built up around the Austin factory and 4680 cells. It’s like they are talking about the second coming of Christ. It has been an entertaining distraction while I wait for my car.

Anyway I’m getting a Fremont 2170 car and I’m perfectly fine with that, as I’d rather have the time tested design. Should be here the end of next week and looking forward to it.
It’s not quite the second coming…. But def a lot of koolaid drinkers are sure when He does come a second time he’ll driving a Y with 4680s.

Reactions: LibertyEV
It would be nice to have more separate battery modules so bad ones could be swapped but honestly with single piece/cast front and rear... we are looking at Teslas being totaled after minor accidents.
The Bolt is back in production, you can replace its battery pack, they've had a lot of practice. :) Seriously, if there is an accident that precludes repair of the energy absorption parts and breaks the casting beyond repair, it's not minor and you will be pleased to have it totaled. In the past, Musk has indicated that certain elements of the castings can be cut out and replacement parts welded in for collision repair. The new battery structure protects the batteries more than the old in a collision.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm still not sure how the first Austin deliveries displayed at the launch party were full castings with structural pack without re-testing to comply with NHTSA crash standards? I have to think that was completed and will be posted in the near future.
There have been Austin Ys spotted driving so I assume that means crash testing has been completed. I think there is NHTSA crash testing to allow production that is different than what is publicly released as far as crash test ratings.

Don't think I've seen a report of any ordinary person getting a MY from Austin. Have I just missed it, or are we still waiting? My delivery is (at least for now, though it keeps changing) next month and I've got my fingers crossed.
Unless you ordered a secret Standard AWD MY (or are an employee) you aren’t getting one from Austin. If you have LR or P, they are still coming from Fremont, at least for the next 6 months. There was talk of non-structural 2170 at Austin by the end of the year so that would be LR and P deliveries. For now, only employees/Tesla are getting the Standard AWD MY that Austin is producing. When you see it available on Tesla.com, then you will likely have a chance to change your current order to that one to get a vehicle from Austin.

Don't think I've seen a report of any ordinary person getting a MY from Austin. Have I just missed it, or are we still waiting? My delivery is (at least for now, though it keeps changing) next month and I've got my fingers crossed.
You won't get an Austin car, based on what they are producing right now. It's a different model from what you ordered. So no one will get an Austin MY until 1) they open up orders for the AWD SR; 2) they start making LR/P with the 4680's at Austin; 3) they go to current order holders and ask if they want to change their model to the AWD SR. So all of the folks 'crossing their fingers' are going to be SOL until one of the above happens, IMHO.

Reactions: henderrj and KJD