Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Built in Austin? Look for the "A" in VIN digit 11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the individual cells are smaller the total pack capacity is larger which allows for more range. How come you keep bringing Model S and other cars into the discussion? 4680 will only be going into MY for the short term until production ramp on cells can meet demand and then be used for Semi and Cybertruck. 4680 was not developed for increased power or range, strictly to save Tesla money at comparable pack capacities to other cell formats.

They did invest in the 4680 for the increased energy density. It allows them to place more power with less weight and it costs less to do it.

The Semi and 500 Mile CT doesn't really work if it gets 30% less range and carriers 30% more weight. Otherwise you are left with something that looks the the Hummer which has a 200KW Battery that only gets 329 miles and weights almost 5 tons

They did invest in the 4680 for the increased energy density. It allows them to place more power with less weight and it costs less to do it.

The Semi and 500 Mile CT doesn't really work if it gets 30% less range and carriers 30% more weight. Otherwise you are left with something that looks the the Hummer which has a 200KW Battery that only gets 329 miles and weights almost 5 tons
I agree with this thinking more than the 4680 cells will promote an economy Tesla. I don’t think that will make its way here for a long time. The scale they’d need to increase 4680 production on top of MY, on top of cybertruck and on top of semi is insane. Look at all the cybertruck pre orders. Same for semi. They will use a cheaper battery technology with less range (LFP) that is plug and forget, no charge % managing. Maybe a 35-45 kWh pack for 150-200 miles of range. The point is it’s economy, doesn’t need 300 miles. Probably doesn’t need 200 since it’ll be designed more like a city car for Asia and Europe than use for here. Tesla can max out it’s factories here with $40k-$150k cars and trucks (with 250-400 mile range). Why waste production on an economy car that won’t have as big of margins?

And I misspoke earlier. Anyone can guess on percent chance of getting an Austin car in 2022. No one knows what that percentage actually is. Somewhere below 100% would be a good guess…

Sawyer Merritt just posted a screenshot on Twitter of someone who has received an Austin VIN.
The tweet he has since deleted because it doesn't exist according to people who reached out to Tesla?

Original post is here

Looks legit

Screenshot_20220225-205848_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: Destiny1701
Thanks for the suggestion about the SA! I reached out to Tesla Sales Associate TSA! and.. they confirmed still using the 2170 battery and non-structural battery pack from Fremont Factory. I ordered a Model Y, Performance, Blue, white seats, Tow , and no FSD. It is already built and being shipped. Delivery date estimated 2/17/2022. Once VIN is assigned (2/1/2022) they said about 3 days for DMV to recognize the VIN in the system. My insurance company confirmed that they did not see it in the system 24hrs after Tesla sent VIN... Pretty excited to get the car! I wish it had the 4680 structural battery. Guess we will see if a March delivery gets an Austin VIN! Good Luck!
I also ordered a Model Y, Performance, Blue, white seats, Tow , and no FSD. You might be getting the vehicle from Fremont that I passed on and went on HOLD. VIN. xxxxxxxxxxF066195

If true, I would think the car is built in the face of the VIN. The 1 month EDD is usually a placeholder (hopeful but not certain). It would follow the reason that his is so long is because Tesla hasn't gotten EPA certification yet, but they are very confident. Once they are oked he would get a two or less week EDD and an invitation to schedule delivery would come shortly.

If we see him post a delivery appointment that would raise the likelihood.

Chemistry is independent from form factor. Tesla can put the same chemistry in any of the three formats of cylindrical cells that they use. All they ever promised from the 4680 is that it would make for easier production and lighter vehicles. There's actually not a lot of advantage to the consumer. Mostly it is in cost savings for tesla. Eventually that could show up in savings for the consumer. But it's really about Tesla gaining greater market share via lower production costs.
No, the car will be stuffer, charge faster, lighter which means more efficient and can have more payload. Less heat also means longer cell life. There are many advantages.

Reactions: Louiedog
No, the car will be stuffer, charge faster, lighter which means more efficient and can have more payload. Less heat also means longer cell life. There are many advantages.
Speaking of assumptions, where did you get your info on payload? If that is true, the ride will be much harsher unless loaded down. They may add other features to make up for the weight loss (dual glazed rear windows, ventilated seats, etc.

Speaking of assumptions, where did you get your info on payload? If that is true, the ride will be much harsher unless loaded down. They may add other features to make up for the weight loss (dual glazed rear windows, ventilated seats, etc.
You are saying ventilated seats and rear glass weigh how much? Talk about assumptions:I I was giving the benefit of reduced weight which is a fact. Also there is a Y that was seeen in the EU with a weight hundreds of pounds lighter. The fact is weight reduction can be offset by anything whether it be new add-ons or added cargo capacity the reduction of weight is a stated fact of Teslas goals with the structural packs and front and rear.

Reactions: Msicario
You are saying ventilated seats and rear glass weigh how much? Talk about assumptions:I I was giving the benefit of reduced weight which is a fact. Also there is a Y that was seeen in the EU with a weight hundreds of pounds lighter. The fact is weight reduction can be offset by anything whether it be new add-ons or added cargo capacity the reduction of weight is a stated fact of Teslas goals with the structural packs and front and rear.
I said they MAY add things on which means I am not stating facts. You are assuming that because the battery pack should weigh less that the whole car WILL weigh less. That is an assumption that the only thing they are changing is the battery and casting.