TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Built-In Charger Issues

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rrch123, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rrch123

rrch123 New Member

Anyone else had problems with the internal charger going out in the car? Last night I plugged my car in. No ring light and the dash just said the charger port was open and to plug in. Took it to the service center and they said the charger was bad. Asked if its happened before, he said it was rare. Wondering how rare it is.

• Funny x 1
  2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Yes it happens. Yes it's rare.

• Like x 1
  3. rrch123

rrch123 New Member

Things seemed to be fine until I had the HPWC installed, car is just a single charger, but I wired it for dual charging just in case I get another car with dual chargers down the road. Guessing it is just a coincidence.

4. chris5639

chris5639 Member

Mine is in the Dallas service center today. They can't Supercharge or charge via UMC/L2. What did it turn out to be for you? How long did they take to fix it?

5. rrch123

rrch123 New Member

Once I gave them the green light, a day. Built in charging unit died, but no explanation why. Think everyone had thought mine was old. Personally though it should be considered part of the drive train though.

6. chris5639

chris5639 Member

Thanks. Just got a text from SC that they will be replacing my on-board charger. Maybe even get my car back same day. So far it's been a good experience (not over yet). I especially appreciate the excellent communication skills of the staff at the SC.