TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Built in dash cam?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

With all the new tech going into these cars, I was wondering how come Tesla doesn't have a built in dash cam in their cars. Do you think they'll build this in as an option with M3? Would be much better than installing all of these cheap after market products.

2. diesel

diesel Member

They still havent done it on the MS or MX so doubt it at this stage.

3. alloverx

alloverx Member

I agree on this obvious feature, or a way to plug into an existing video feed. My non-tesla car has a camera for LDW but could found no references to getting at it, plus not sure of quality so I ended up buying an A119 Dashcam for about $100.

4. tsla007

tsla007 Member

buy a go pro hero and mount it. You'll get better resolution and more storage. Tesla doesn't want to to fill up the tablet drive with such video.

5. SureValla

SureValla Member

How do you loop a GoPro so it only keeps the last 15 minutes recorded?

6. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  7. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

But it would only take software to add your own 32GB USB stick and use the existing cameras to record all sorts of data. GPS, speed, 4-8 camera angles... etc... etc.. I don't think it would be all that taxing..

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

How attached are you to color pictures? Although we don't have all the details, it seems like all but the rear camera might be grayscale except for red.

Recording just the front and rear wide angle would seem like a solid dashcam, which could probably be implemented by firmware update if Tesla chose to do so.

9. SureValla

SureValla Member

interesting thank you. I see a few downsides of this though vs a regular built in dash cam

1) you need to put it away each time you leave your car in a public location
    2) no automatic start up
    3) wire hanging off to the side for power

It would be nice not to have to set it up each time you drive. Have you tried implementing this setup yourself? Is it super annoying?

10. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

I have not, it does seem like it would be super annoying. I just wanted to look it up because I was unsure if they could even do a loop.

11. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

Also heard GoPro doesn't like the hot hot car in the summer. I'm very surprised in this video society no car company has built in dash cam even as an option.

12. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

With surveillance laws different from state to state and from one country to the next, it isn't practical for a vehicle manufacturer to include a dash cam.

13. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

But here Tesla could be the exception.
    Since you have location data always on the car, it would be possible to change the functionality or disable the cameras dependent on state/country laws.

14. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

And imagine the amount of complaints when someone crosses a state boarder and their camera stops - then gets in a wreck.
    Get a blackvue and leave the recording liability to the owner and undo logistical issues away from tesla

• Like x 2
  15. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

I would like to just use the 8 cameras already installed in my car if possible, to me it seems unnecessary to have to install one or two more.
    If it is an buy-in option with limited functionality (just like my EAP at the moment) I'm ok with it, as long as I'm aware when I purchase it. But you could get a on-screen notification when you drive somewhere with new dash cam functionality.

However I'm sure you are right, there will be a lot of complaints, even though there seems to be a lot of that anyway, so maybe a little more wouldn't hurt ;)

16. swaltner

swaltner Member

• Helpful x 1
  17. SureValla

SureValla Member

are you saying dashcams are illegal in some locations?

18. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

And I also think if Tesla had this built in functionality that it would deter some would-be burglars.

Also, I agree that the liability and legal implications could easily be solved by on-screen waivers and software.

Imagine, in addition to accident recording and burglary deterrence, all the fun stuff that could be recorded without having to rely on an OBD connector. Think Waylens but way way better!

19. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

That's exactly what he's saying. Some european countries have some interesting laws about video recording in public and registration of those cameras. I'm not sure if dashcams are completely illegal or just highly limited since I've never lived in one of those places.

20. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

specifically for US states: (plus some cities have their own regulations)
    from Resources - Video Surveillance Laws Listed by State
    Alabama Video surveillance in a "private place" is prohibited.
    Arkansas Prohibited in a private place without the permission of the people photographed or observed is against the law
    California Video recording of "confidential communications" is prohibited without consent.
    Delaware Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
    Georgia Consent of all parties is required for video recording and photography in private places.
    Hawaii Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
    Illinois Video recording with sound is not prohibited.
    Kansas Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
    Maine Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
    Michigan Hidden cameras in a private place are prohibited without consent.
    Minnesota Hidden cameras are prohibited in private places.
    New Hampshire Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
    South Carolina A Peeping Tom under the statute is a person who "peeps through windows, doors or other like places" on another's premises for the purpose of "spying upon or invading the privacy" of others or for "any other conduct of a similar nature that tends to invade the privacy of others.
    South Dakota Hidden cameras are prohibited without consent.
    Tennessee Prohibits "knowingly photograph or cause to be photographed" in a privet place
    Utah Hidden cameras are forbidden in private areas; violation is a misdemeanor.
    Washington Video recording with sound is prohibited.

so 'private' could be any site you drive onto when leaving the public street. Parking lot, parking garage, etc. Or, what is captured into someone else's property (house, car, business, etc).

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2