TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Built in Maps?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by bikeandsail, Oct 7, 2016.

1. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I thought with the premium package you got built in maps, I don't seem to have any background maps.

My cellular service was not working and I had no background maps. I was in navigation mode so the the turn by turn instructions were on the left side as well as in indicated blue path where the map should have been. There were no background maps. Once the cellular service resumed the background maps showed up.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. royewest

royewest Member

This is why I have a mount for a cell phone below the rear-view mirror, so I can use Google Maps to navigate, with offline maps for free. I use the Tesla screen for Waze.

3. RichardL

RichardL Member

Teslas have two mapping systems - it uses Google maps for the big screen, but has built in Navigon maps for actual turn by turn directions. When you have no cellular signal, Google maps cannot download, so the big screen is blank. However, the turn by turn on the Instrument Cluster display will still work.

4. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Thanks Richard, that explains it.

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

It happens to me all the time as the rural area I live in has many spots with no AT&T coverage, including my home. Once you drive into cellular range the maps update.