Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bulk PPF Sources?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping to get my MYP this weekend (delivery date seems to be holding, fingers crossed). I am already set on my prep and other supplies to do the ceramic coat considering I have already done this on my previous two cars. I am thinking about laying down some PPF beforehand on the front bumper / hood / mirrors and side doors but the cost for these kits seem unreasonable to me. I'm trying to find a source where I can order just the large roll of PPF, then trim the material myself.

Xpel has on their site $450 for the bumper kit + $821 for the fender/ full hood + $1000 EACH doors / rear fender (can't find just a door kit). So out the door I'm looking at ~ 3500... Seems pretty excessive for a DIY kit considering I can have it installed for just a few bucks more.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot and XPEL
Has anyone had any success installing these as a DIY project? Are there any videos out there that help?

About to drop nearly $5k on PPF for a Model S and wish there were some DIY options instead as it just seems insanely expensive . . . .

As a 1st timer, my wife & I just DIY PPF'ed MYLR with 3M Pro: Full front and side doors (pre-cut kits from NorthTints).
The price I paid is less than $1K.
3M Pro is thick & tough.. it can be difficult to stretch fit in some places.
The quality of my job: definitely not perfect. A few bubbles here and there, but I am happy with how it turned out.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
As a 1st timer, my wife & I just DIY PPF'ed MYLR with 3M Pro: Full front and side doors (pre-cut kits from NorthTints).
The price I paid is less than $1K.
3M Pro is thick & tough.. it can be difficult to stretch fit in some places.
The quality of my job: definitely not perfect. A few bubbles here and there, but I am happy with how it turned out.
Interesting and informative.

Thank you.

Will look into it and hope they have some video help on how to do this.

p.s. Were you able to do this in a warm garage? I wonder if the film is easier to work with if it's warmer?

Interesting and informative.

Thank you.

Will look into it and hope they have some video help on how to do this.

p.s. Were you able to do this in a warm garage? I wonder if the film is easier to work with if it's warmer?

I am not sure whether it is easier to do when warm. Maybe it is easier to stretch when warm.
One thing I read (manufacturer's instructions), they recommend adding more soap/baby shampoo to the slip solution when applying during warm season.
It is probably because water dries quicker when warm.

I live in East Bay area: it gets colder here than SF, reaching down to 30-40 during the night.
My garage wasn't warmed up during the installation.

Other tips:
- Keep the garage clean, free from dusts. My wife and I actually wore Tyvek paint suits as if those semi-conductor factory workers. LoL
- If tap water contains mineral, buy distilled water, lots of it. I used ~6 Ga for full front and doors
- Good lighting matters, sideway lighting is better than direct on top. You can see the imperfection easily.
- The ideal slip solution (J&J Baby shampoo in water) seems important.
Using too much shampoo --> too slippery --> hard to attach --> also, chance of leaving yellowish tint when dried.
Using too little --> the PPF won't slide, and you know the rest
In my case, I empirically prepped the optimal slip solution by gradually adding soap to distilled water.
- These are videos I got recommended by the PPF seller. But, I have to tell you, I watched many more until I couldn't find videos I didn't see.
-Applying the bumper required most stretching & skill, so better do it last.
It was a steep learning curve for us. Funny that the best quality job was actually front bumper installation, because we did it last....

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot