Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bulky item in boot. Will it fit?

ParHunter

Nov 2, 2020
Surrey, UK
Hi,

I have to pick up a piece of furniture from a shop some miles away and I am wondering whether I will be able to get it into the Model 3. The dimensions are 50x42x120cm without packaging (will be slightly more with). In theory this should fit, I’ve measured the max height and it was something like 46cm. The problem is that it is not a flat loading space (folded seats are at a slight angle and the boot lip is higher than the floor so the effective height for a longer item is lower.

What is the tallest longish object you’ve managed to fit into the M3?

Alistairuk

Jun 25, 2020
Scotland
It might fit - although how wide are the back passenger seats (I haven’t measured) but I have a feeling it will fit across them if you put it in the back door?

Reactions: init6

init6

Oct 16, 2020
Scotland
You should be able to measure the gap with the seats down. IIRC the boot depth is 107cm, so you'll only be going a little into the cabin. Use a piece of wood or thick cardboard for precise measurements.

JIBYC

Jul 16, 2019
Uk
I use the following for seats up.

95cm wide at arches
45cm tall at chassis bar
1m deep at floor
80cm deep at top

ParHunter

Nov 2, 2020
Surrey, UK
I‘ve tested it with a box of similar height (43x110) and as you can see from the picture it would not fit in the boot but it should fit on the backseats.
6B5C1F4B-51D3-4934-8F8A-D25063176DA9.jpeg

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
Similar size box for me. Wouldn’t fit in the boot despite measuring. Angle of entry scuppered it. In the rear passenger door... just. Not ideal.

ParHunter

Nov 2, 2020
Surrey, UK
Just picked it up. The box it came in was a lot bigger and would not fit at all, even on the back seats. I had to unpack it in the car park and then it just about fit.
So the max size you can get into your M3 on you backseats is about 40x50x120. Anything above that ...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC