Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bullet proof glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry that your friend had to go through this, and the loss of a life is never good.

That said, I cannot support the petition. When I see metropolitan police departments in small towns buying riot gear and repurposed tanks -- or, even when they get them for free, agreeing to pay the maintenance on the gear in perpetuity -- then complain that they don't have enough money, it's worse than frustrating. We see the average police encounter change on a daily basis from a friendly "hey, how's it going?" to no-knock raids where family pets are shot and property is destroyed, and why? Because they were looking for a gram of marijuana... or worse yet, they have the wrong house, and someone dies because it sounds like a burglary.

I have unlimited respect for the community-based firemen and police officers that do a tough job every day, and I despise those who do it for the power trips (those who usually end up on the news because they took someone's video camera away, or kicked a drunk person because they could). Many police departments, especially those in large cities, have been able to transform themselves into paramilitary units where the entire public is the enemy to them.

So, with all due respect, and my condolences to your friend, I cannot sign that petition. Police departments have enough money, they just haven't prioritized it like the rest of us must do on a daily basis.

I am of course also sorry about your friend’s loss of his father.

I am however not an American citizen…

Bulletproof windshields/entire front sections sounds like a good idea in an American context. Probably money better spent when compared to something like this:

armored.jpg

Image credit: Uncredited.

Sources:

Salinas Police Department | City unveils new Armored Rescue Vehicle

The Californian | Salinas police unveil new armored rescue vehicle

Jalopnik/TruckYeah | Police Acquisition Of Army Vehicle Enrages Internet Commenters

Last edited:
I'm sorry that your friend had to go through this, and the loss of a life is never good.

That said, I cannot support the petition.

I'd have to agree on your points. I'd also have to point out that this petition just doesn't seem to have a clear focus. The title is "Protect our Law Enforcemnt from being shot"... OK. That's always the goal, of course, but it sounds more like a reaction/outcry than a specific "thing" to rally around and call for. Going further:

There are many ways to protect those that work tirelessly to protect us all, on of which is to put bulletproof glass in each car. A cheaper way could be a bullet proof film that is much cheaper and can do the same thing. Either way a solution needs to be made. No longer can we stand idly by and see nothing done.

Again, there's no focus here, just throwing out two "possible" options. The "petition" isn't really a petition, it's just a public cry for help, and it seems to take the position that no one cares about protecting our officers and are "stand[ing] idly by". Officers go through training, take precautions (including wearing protective armor), and most of all, take on a burden on a daily basis because they know the risk of their job and take it on anyway.

Again, sorry if this comes across callous, as it is never good for any life to be lost -- especially like this -- but this isn't a "solution".