Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bump stock ban, guns etc, moved from general.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Department of Justice moves to ban bump stocks, classifying them as 'machine guns' under federal law

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

- Margaret Mead

So off topic, but since it will be moved I'll respond (note: I'm not a gun/ bump stock proponent/ opponent)

1. This seems a clear case of the (edit) judical executive branch rewriting laws (legislative branch role). If you want to ban them, do it right process wise.

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

2. The effect produced by a bump stock can be replicated though simple application of a common personal item.

3. Bump firing can be done on pretty much any (edit) semi-automatic rifle as-is.

Edit: corrected per fact checking from ggr. Thanks mod!

Last edited:
Reactions: DurandalAI
So off topic, but since it will be moved I'll respond (note: I'm not a gun/ bump stock proponent/ opponent)

1. This seems a clear case of the judical branch rewriting laws (legislative branch role). If you want to ban them, do it right process wise.

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

2. The effect produced by a bump stock can be replicated though simple application of a common personal item.

3. Bump firing can be done on pretty much any rifle as-is.
1. The DoJ is part of the Executive Branch, not the Judicial Branch.
3. Unless the weapon is semi-automatic to begin with, the second pull of the trigger won't do much.
4. You're right, the moderator is going to move this. (Mod: --ggr)