Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bump to 325 mi range and 5% power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MR: 5.6 --> 5.2
LR RWD: 5.1 --> 5.0
LR AWD: 4.5 --> 4.5 (unchanged)
Performance: 3.3 --> 3.2

Probably only MR will feel the difference and contribute the most to AVERAGE 5% increase across all Model 3.

I'd be pretty surprised if AWD is actually "unchanged"

I think it's yet more marketing #s to encourage certain behavior (like how they changed P from 3.5 to 3.3 without actually making the car any faster to encourage folks upgrading from AWD)

Likewise the SR+ folks have a touch more motivation to consider MR or LR-RWD now instead, and the AWD folks continue to have another .1 second fake motivation to consider a P on top of the fake .2 seconds they got earlier.

I'd be pretty surprised if AWD is actually "unchanged"

I think it's yet more marketing #s to encourage certain behavior (like how they changed P from 3.5 to 3.3 without actually making the car any faster to encourage folks upgrading from AWD)

Likewise the SR+ folks have a touch more motivation to consider MR or LR-RWD now instead, and the AWD folks continue to have another .1 second fake motivation to consider a P on top of the fake .2 seconds they got earlier.

Peter‏ @Peternotpaul_ 16h16 hours ago
@elonmusk Why so little love for non-performance LR AWD owners - surely time to unlock a little performance to get us in a sensible place between LR RWD and Performance models? Thanks mate!

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @Peternotpaul_
Should be ~5% peak power increase with March 15 software release
5:14 PM - 28 Feb 2019

• Love
Reactions: Stellavator
Yeah- that was my point. We already knew all the non-SR models, including AWD, were getting a 5% power bump... but oddly the AWD 0-60 didn't move when the other cars did all improve by .1... hence why I pointed out SummerRains "unchanged" comment on AWD is likely only marketing-accurate not if-you-actually-measure-it accurate.

Tesla has a financial interest in making AWD look worse than it really is compared to the P.... (and did the same thing with the S and X cars- doing shady crap like using rollout for one but not the other when listing specs)

I’m hoping they truly unlock a little capacity and that it’s not just a software recalculation of range. Then they should do it on all LR cars, including dual motor/P3 so that dual motor versions can actually get closer to an actual 310 mi range.

I’m hoping they truly unlock a little capacity and that it’s not just a software recalculation of range. Then they should do it on all LR cars, including dual motor/P3 so that dual motor versions can actually get closer to an actual 310 mi range.
the fact that they aren't increasing the range of the other models seems to point to a "fake" increase of range for the LR RWD version.

the fact that they aren't increasing the range of the other models seems to point to a "fake" increase of range for the LR RWD version.

What I meant was yes they aren’t increasing the 310 mi rated range for the AWD/P models, but it doesn’t eliminate the possibility that they could still open up some capacity so that it increases the actual range. Would be nice for the actual range of my 3P ~250mi to get closer to the rated range of 310 mi.

I will be upset if Tesla sends me a firmware update that just changes the car's (Wh/mi) constant! I am personally showing a lifetime (over 20K miles!) rate of 227 Wh/mi in the car (well below "predicted") and 310 miles is already unreasonable in most real world conditions. With vampire losses and other real life stuff, I'm OK with the optimistic 310 rating, but it's not very applicable.... Move it to 325 and the problem is worse. My battery gauge is even more off than before. And I am in Southern California!

By the way I would rather Tesla give me an update that actually is more efficient where the mileage change is real. I'd settle for access to more of the pack (allow deeper discharge) , which would only matter if I was driving far (road trip) and was willing to exhaust the pack. But don't just change my gauge without any additional capability!

I wondering if the whole thing is just a CYA campaign for when they tweak the 0-60 times of the quicker models lower to create separation from the new mid/standard models. We never were given actual Tesla HP numbers to begin with. Same could be said for the LR-RWD and its better efficiency numbers - /End conspiracy rant.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 3.11.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 3.11.13 PM.png
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 3.11.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 3.11.13 PM.png
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 51