TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bumper alignment issue?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sigurdeg, Jun 12, 2020.

1. sigurdeg

sigurdeg Member

BE03132A-B1BA-452F-8787-32A039C02D54.jpeg 557A0A43-9D59-422F-A6AE-75B91BE7FF86.jpeg 5101D14C-3615-4970-B9C2-24060BB655A0.jpeg 6FBFFDD7-BFFB-47FA-8F35-60A9CF71DB82.jpeg Is it normal for the older MS to have a gap between the bumper and the headlights. It doesn’t really show well on photos but you can that I can push the bumper to align it with the headlight. It’s not that bad on the facelifted s. I can’t really see any damage under the bumper either.

2. Dsancho

Dsancho Member

I had the same issue. I was was told by Tesla my bumper was warped but saw this on many pre and facelift cars. I fixed it by accident. I lost one bolt on my headlights once I had them painted. I left the bottom one out and once I replaced my bumper it’s magically aligned perfected.

Attached Files:

3. babywasbees

babywasbees Member

Sorry you have the same problem. I just received my Model S in early May (built in mid March) and had the same issue. There were a few scratches on the bumper too. They decided to replace the entire bumper so something must have been "off-spec" enough for them to do that.

The gaps were fixed by replacing the bumper but a few smaller gaps showed up as a result of it. I guess overall it's better but it generally is unsatisfying to have to deal with this. As a shareholder, it's disappointing to see this.

Quality Issues on Model S built in March 2020

Attached Files:

4. sigurdeg

sigurdeg Member

Thanks for the replies. As long as it’s not broken I guess I can live with it, would be nice to make it align some way but seems like a lot of work.

5. babywasbees

babywasbees Member

Well...what you have looks a lot like what I have and they replaced it without question. I wonder if there is a potential for water accumulation the way it is now.

6. 2101Guy

2101Guy Member

Mine has exact same gap on same side (passenger). 2017 facelift. Gets a bit worse (gappier) if sitting in sun for long time.
    One day I may remove the front bumper to see if there is anything to adjust? But I suspect its just poor QC of that particular cover. Its not enough of an issue for me to prioritize right now