Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper cars/Accident question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This AM my wife was driving to work when she was rear ended while stopped. Low speed, probably less than 5MPH.

The damage is "minor" with marring of the rear bumper. The bolts from the offending car's front license tag dug into the bumper. Plus there is an impression of the license tag on the bumper.

I plan on having the repairs done by a local body shop that has worked on my BMW. My question is do I need Tesla service inspect the car (either ranger or service center) given the low speed of impact?

20130613_193535.jpg
20130613_193542.jpg

This AM my wife was driving to work when she was rear ended while stopped. Low speed, probably less than 5MPH.

The damage is "minor" with marring of the rear bumper. The bolts from the offending car's front license tag dug into the bumper. Plus there is an impression of the license tag on the bumper.

I plan on having the repairs done by a local body shop that has worked on my BMW. My question is do I need Tesla service inspect the car (either ranger or service center) given the low speed of impact?

View attachment 23687View attachment 23688

I was rear ended. Similar situation to your wife. If you have a high-end collision shop do the work, you'll be fine (by high-end, any shop that works on BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc.). They'll be able to take care of your paint as well. Yes, the paint is challenging, but nothing that will be a problem.

I had a similar incident but mine was a little worse and the bumper could not be fixed and a new one had to be ordered. It took a little over three weeks to get the bumper but the shop I used has a life time guarantee on all work and I did not take it to Tesla for review. The shop verified that all damage was cosmetic and the paint matched perfectly and also had paint armor reinstalled. I was quite happy with the results which cost over $2,000..

Thanks for all of the input. I'll make sure to pay attention to the paint matching. Part of me hopes that they can just fill out the marks and repaint. Then there is the part that wants a new bumper since someone else is paying for it :smile:

@kevinwelch
What would the bumper sticker say. "My other car is a ....." :wink:
BumperStickerCar.jpg