TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bumper cars/Accident question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by idoco, Jun 13, 2013.

1. idoco

idoco Member

This AM my wife was driving to work when she was rear ended while stopped. Low speed, probably less than 5MPH.

The damage is "minor" with marring of the rear bumper. The bolts from the offending car's front license tag dug into the bumper. Plus there is an impression of the license tag on the bumper.

I plan on having the repairs done by a local body shop that has worked on my BMW. My question is do I need Tesla service inspect the car (either ranger or service center) given the low speed of impact?

20130613_193535.jpg 20130613_193542.jpg

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I wouldn't be concerned about it - that's a pretty light impact. I'm sure it had no effect other than scuffing the bumper and digging screw-head holes in it.

At least you got their plate number. :tongue:

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

The only thing I'd be concerned about is their ability to match your paint. I've heard it can be quite tricky.

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Agreed.

5. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

You could always polish what you can and put a bumper sticker on it.

How much would a new one cost?

Sent via Tapatalk.

6. Joel

Joel Active Member

I was rear ended. Similar situation to your wife. If you have a high-end collision shop do the work, you'll be fine (by high-end, any shop that works on BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc.). They'll be able to take care of your paint as well. Yes, the paint is challenging, but nothing that will be a problem.

7. deonb

deonb Active Member

Stay on topic please...

8. biwamura

biwamura Member

I had a similar incident but mine was a little worse and the bumper could not be fixed and a new one had to be ordered. It took a little over three weeks to get the bumper but the shop I used has a life time guarantee on all work and I did not take it to Tesla for review. The shop verified that all damage was cosmetic and the paint matched perfectly and also had paint armor reinstalled. I was quite happy with the results which cost over $2,000..

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Haha.

10. idoco

idoco Member

Thanks for all of the input. I'll make sure to pay attention to the paint matching. Part of me hopes that they can just fill out the marks and repaint. Then there is the part that wants a new bumper since someone else is paying for it :smile:

@kevinwelch
    What would the bumper sticker say. "My other car is a ....." :wink:
    BumperStickerCar.jpg

11. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Hey!

That's my mini van!

Awesome: we're neighbors!

Sent via Tapatalk.