Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I damaged my Model Y today, scratching the passenger-side corner of the front bumper against a concrete column. (Yes, I am very angry at myself!). I have attached a picture.

As a new Tesla owner, I have a few questions for the experts. First, and most importantly, I am trying to ascertain whether the damage is just cosmetic. Could someone confirm (or refute) that the (white) bumper piece I damaged is plastic and therefore won’t rust? Are there any other non-cosmetic issues I should be considering?

If just cosmetic, I have to decide whether to (a) replace the bumper at a cost of $1200 installed by Tesla, (b) find a non-Tesla provider to repair and repaint (I will get a quote later this week) or (c) live with the damage since I will probably scratch it again anyway....and I can always replace the bumper at a later date.

Thoughts?

23290805-5F34-4359-AFE9-DD2189C08BA0.jpeg
53F05D99-C7D5-4746-8412-5C220EF62A11.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
it won't rust - both materials are plastic. You cannot buff either out (trim or bumper). Your options are - repaint and blend and replace the trim. ou do not need to repaint the whole bumper - with todays technology - body shops can blend/feather in the paint. You have pearl white so that is the only consideration as to with ror not they can blend it and match. Doesn't seem you are overly picky as you said you would live with the scratches - so - blending may be fine for you - in all likelihood you - or anyone else wouldn't be able to tell as the rest of the pear white is splotchy anyway due to Teslas half asses way of painting. My recommendation is to find a good body shop and have them blend it - should be under $500 for both repairs - the trim you can even do yourself.

I damaged my Model Y today, scratching the passenger-side corner of the front bumper against a concrete column. (Yes, I am very angry at myself!). I have attached a picture.

As a new Tesla owner, I have a few questions for the experts. First, and most importantly, I am trying to ascertain whether the damage is just cosmetic. Could someone confirm (or refute) that the (white) bumper piece I damaged is plastic and therefore won’t rust? Are there any other non-cosmetic issues I should be considering?

If just cosmetic, I have to decide whether to (a) replace the bumper at a cost of $1200 installed by Tesla, (b) find a non-Tesla provider to repair and repaint (I will get a quote later this week) or (c) live with the damage since I will probably scratch it again anyway....and I can always replace the bumper at a later date.

Thoughts?
2F63132A-8DD2-4922-9B32-52BCD27A2141.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. The local body shop, who has done good work for me before (on BMWs not Teslas) quoted $650 because he said he needed to paint the whole bumper. How do I get a new trim piece? He cannot order since he’s not a Tesla body shop. I am thinking that I can replace the trim myself. Thanks!

it won't rust - both materials are plastic. You cannot buff either out (trim or bumper). Your options are - repaint and blend and replace the trim. ou do not need to repaint the whole bumper - with todays technology - body shops can blend/feather in the paint. You have pearl white so that is the only consideration as to with ror not they can blend it and match. Doesn't seem you are overly picky as you said you would live with the scratches - so - blending may be fine for you - in all likelihood you - or anyone else wouldn't be able to tell as the rest of the pear white is splotchy anyway due to Teslas half asses way of painting. My recommendation is to find a good body shop and have them blend it - should be under $500 for both repairs - the trim you can even do yourself.

Thanks for the feedback. The local body shop, who has done good work for me before (on BMWs not Teslas) quoted $650 because he said he needed to paint the whole bumper. How do I get a new trim piece? He cannot order since he’s not a Tesla body shop. I am thinking that I can replace the trim myself. Thanks!
You can order it yourself and either have your bodyshop install it (they should be removing the old one to paint anyway) or you can easily install it yourself.

You can order a pre-painted bumper cover from Tesla and have them install it. I think the part is about $450.00. When I picked up my MY, it had a scratch on the bumper that needed to be repaired. The Portland SC said they'd just order a pre-painted cover and install it. I think that's the best way to go if you want new and can be done in a day once the cover is in.

You can order a pre-painted bumper cover from Tesla and have them install it. I think the part is about $450.00. When I picked up my MY, it had a scratch on the bumper that needed to be repaired. The Portland SC said they'd just order a pre-painted cover and install it. I think that's the best way to go if you want new and can be done in a day once the cover is in.
For the Model 3, the prepainted rear bumper cover is $900.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Thanks for everyone’s feedback. For clarification, the front bumper fascia in pearl white is $900 from Tesla before labor. The trim piece is $50. Labor is a couple hundred dollars.

I am leaning toward trying to purchase some Tesla touch up paint and the trim piece, assuming they will sell those to me. Otherwise I will just leave it as is for the time being. I just have to be more careful in parking lots in the future....

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. For clarification, the front bumper fascia in pearl white is $900 from Tesla before labor. The trim piece is $50. Labor is a couple hundred dollars.

I am leaning toward trying to purchase some Tesla touch up paint and the trim piece, assuming they will sell those to me. Otherwise I will just leave it as is for the time being. I just have to be more careful in parking lots in the future....
Don't rule out a mobile touch up service. They should be able to touch up the paint for a few hundred.