Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper dimensions for PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
I'm hoping someone can tell me the height and width I would need for bulk PPF to wrap the front bumper.
I'm thinking a 8 feet of a 30" roll should work but want to confirm before I order it.
I'm going to wrap the bumper and hood myself. I already calculated I need 4 feet of a 60" roll to the entire hood.

Thanks in advance

That should do it. 9 feet if you want to be safe. If you come up short. It will work for the doors. If you have no experience and are going by watching youtube videos. I would recommend you order a pre-cut kit for the front bumper. Start from the center and work your way out. You will thank me later.

Hey Fusion I have an Xpel precut right now and I’m having trouble installing it! It feels like the the precut holes are in the wrong place? I have to really stretch the material really hard and the holes for sensors are don’t feel like they are in the right place. How hard should I be stretching the material?

Hey Fusion I have an Xpel precut right now and I’m having trouble installing it! It feels like the the precut holes are in the wrong place? I have to really stretch the material really hard and the holes for sensors are don’t feel like they are in the right place. How hard should I be stretching the material?

How is the edge lining up? Xpel has a LOT of give so you could stretch it pretty good, however if it's really off, then maybe the cut wasn't really good. Don't stretch more than you need though. Xpel cuts are designed for you to start at the center and move out from there. You might have to just cut new holes once you are done.

Look here for some inspiration....

Cheap DIY Paint Protection Film Project

Thanks guys. I am going to try full sheet on the bumper and make my own cuts. I have done a couple PPF kits in the past so maybe I can do this. Watched a lot of videos as well although I know that's not the same thing as personal experience.
I just want the final product to be rolled around the edges and super clean and the kits don't look that way to me. I also don't want to give a detail shop 1000 for labor for a 2 hour job.
If I fail on the bumper, I have lost 125 bucks, and can try again.

I know you asked Fusion about this, but want to share my experience. I recently installed 3M Scotchgard kit from invisiblemask for front bumper. It is really PITA for Model 3 with so many curves and it needs lot of stretching. I had help from friends, but none of us installed before, and it took good 4 hours, and still lot of air bubbles left. Flat surfaces are much easier,I did back bumper over the loading area, door sills etc, and those are not a problem, So unless you have experience or very skillful, good idea to get it installed professionally. Mine does not look terrible, but I would not do it again.

Like mentioned above, the front bumper is super hard. The videos don't show you how to take out the fingers. It's way harder than all the videos show. Trust me and get a pre-cut kit for the front bumper. Very little people can do full sheets without lots of experience. There are special techniques you need to learn for that.

Well attempted the left fender! Getting the camera out was a little tricky for me but finally got it out. Fusion you were right!! I have much greater appreciation for the skills to do this! Overall I am ok with it even though there are a lot of bubbles. If you are OCD about any bubbles I do not recommend attempting this without experience. However if you are interested in learning the process then it can be very interesting. Fusion thank you for the link to the other thread it really came in handy! I’m letting it sit in the sun I can see the bubbles are getting smaller which is good.
78C6EB90-3FEC-46D9-A5BF-CD311E43D3FE.jpeg
DE0E4DC0-9E36-4819-A7F5-B14E0CF22ADA.jpeg

How much is a roll that big?
For a roll of Xpel Ultimate 60” x 50Ft you are looking at $1000. As far as a small roll that would cover the fender you would need to look for 60” by 38” and that should cover it. I don’t have any pricing for a piece that size. I was lucky to get a roll of Xpel since nobody will sell it to you. It was a one time deal unfortunately!

Whole hood and bumper? Pre cut for bumper or wrapping into the edge so it’s not noticeable?
Not precut. That is the dilemma. Not worried at all about the hood, that is easy. Bumper is another story. Fusion strongly recommends against single sheet on that. He is probably right. But I like a challenge so I may do it. The other option would be a kit (precut) that allowed for full (wrapped edges) coverage. One of our members claims to have used such, although I am waiting on a pm from him as to the specific item he used.

Well attempted the left fender! Getting the camera out was a little tricky for me but finally got it out. Fusion you were right!! I have much greater appreciation for the skills to do this! Overall I am ok with it even though there are a lot of bubbles. If you are OCD about any bubbles I do not recommend attempting this without experience. However if you are interested in learning the process then it can be very interesting. Fusion thank you for the link to the other thread it really came in handy! I’m letting it sit in the sun I can see the bubbles are getting smaller which is good.
View attachment 321340 View attachment 321341

The majority of bubbles should go away as long as it's water that's trapped underneath. When it dries, it will be gone. Air bubbles are another story. Also you are lucky to be able to get a roll of Xpel. They are no longer selling even on websites. They have gone to in house sales only now. Every re seller had to pulled their stock so no more third party sellers.