Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper falls off in rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks to me like they went though some fairly deep standing water at a pretty good speed.

Definitely.
That's called driving in the rain.

Very negligent of the driver to do that.
He is probably a Tesla short!

There is a warning clause in the Model 3 manual that disclaims OEM responsibility for any such eventualities. Thus, it's entirely driver's fault for driving the car like that.
Totally not Tesla's fault.

This is called payload fairing jettisoning.

Payload fairing - Wikipedia

Payload_fairing_jettison.jpg

Elon is applying SpaceX technology to your car

Lol didn't you know that you can't drive your Tesla in the rain? The bumper will fall off! Come on man this already happened a year ago! You should have known. Model 3 build quality from the good old tent production line!

I would just laugh if this happened to my car. Like welp this is awkward

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
I’m guessing that the bumper cover was removed to paint the diffuser gloss black. It was subsequently reinstalled poorly.
This is the kind of thing that really drives me crazy. Obviously, bumpers shouldn't be falling off just by driving through a puddle. Also obvious that the owner has made some aftermarket modifications, which may or may not have contributed to this. The owner claims he was only driving 10-15 mph through the puddle, but to my eye he appears to be going much faster than that - which means I don't really trust the information coming from him.

Initially Tesla denied his claim, but, according to the owner, didn't offer any details other than it being an "act of god." If true, this is a laughable response. Other commenters are saying that Tesla is now covering it, but I don't really feel like digging through pages of garbage in order to figure out where that came from.

I NEED CLOSURE!! :D

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I'm willing to believe that Tesla hasn't learned that the "market rules" in making a durable quality product, just as GM almost got their clock cleaned by Toyota et,al years back. We all have a love/hate for Billionaires who give us our dream car, and it isn't purr-fect. BUT, when half the dressage of a car is removed by a "puddle", I think, "ya mean, Lake Wannabe?" where some knothead thought his Tesla could jump like the "General Lee" over the lake? The trouble is the nut behind the wheel. All EV's are devoid of a torque curve as ice cars with transmissions, so they can do 0-60 in obscene times. You don't get 300 mile range by doing that. Also, drivers have to learn that it is many times harder to control a car with that kind of instant torque, when all the others have a quarter of that power. So Mario, ease off the pedal and you'll get there; or you'll get a monument with your name on it in the marble farm. If Coivid doesn't kill you, EV might.

for what it's worth... my July 19 Model 3 doesn't have the middle screw in the bottom aeroshield cover.... it has one screw left and right and then 2 screw really close to each other where the aeroshield cover meets the felt type material (there are also one drain hole on each side there). so this Model 3 likely features the old cover which is more prone to ripping off