Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper panel gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey how tight are the panel gaps supposed to be for the front bumper?

Mobile service cane fixed my headlight and he removed the bumper.

I check afterwards and the gap is almost non-existence.

I can’t even slide a piece of paper in between.

Ididn’t check before the appointment so I don’t know how it was before.
just want to see how it’s like on other model 3 and see if it’s normal.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D62DCEEF-C43F-4B60-8B09-B7CA2F7B9574.jpeg
    D62DCEEF-C43F-4B60-8B09-B7CA2F7B9574.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 15E45932-A781-407E-81F9-34436A185C9E.jpeg
    15E45932-A781-407E-81F9-34436A185C9E.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 199
Mine is a 2020.
I was actually expecting a gap so the panels don’t touch.
I peeled back the wheel line to take a look and looks like there are 3 bolts between the light and wheel arch that fasten the bumper together with the fender panel, so I guess it’s expected that they touched??

my headlight, which they replaced for me is a bit misaligned. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

My June '18 build similar and I don't think its an issue as the fender is painted steel and the bumper is plastic. Its not painted metal against painted metal.

thanks nice to know.
I also notice the newly installed headlight Has a huge gap between light and the panel to the frunk side. I thought it’s installation problem. Then I found the pics I used to file the ticket to Tesla for the mobile service and found that it was like that before. Guess I never notice that panel gap before. Actually took the frunk out and realized I can’t really adjust the headlight left-right-wise.

picture is before the fix. You can see the gap on right side of the light housing can see inside the bumper a little bit.
E5E92697-1111-4CD3-BEFA-8BC3D4FE3BA1.jpeg

My June '18 build similar and I don't think its an issue as the fender is painted steel and the bumper is plastic. Its not painted metal against painted metal.

The movement of the plastic as it flexes and expands/shrinks with temperature will eventually rub through the paint on the metal surface. I have a 2020 and those panels don't touch like that on my car.

Best,

thanks nice to know.
I also notice the newly installed headlight Has a huge gap between light and the panel to the frunk side. I thought it’s installation problem. Then I found the pics I used to file the ticket to Tesla for the mobile service and found that it was like that before. Guess I never notice that panel gap before. Actually took the frunk out and realized I can’t really adjust the headlight left-right-wise.

picture is before the fix. You can see the gap on right side of the light housing can see inside the bumper a little bit.
View attachment 529139

I have the same gap on the driver's side headlight assembly on mine. I didn't bother looking at how to deal with it yet, but I suspect it will eventually trigger my inner OCD and I'll find a way. :)

Best,

The movement of the plastic as it flexes and expands/shrinks with temperature will eventually rub through the paint on the metal surface. I have a 2020 and those panels don't touch like that on my car.

Best,

Do you have photos of yours? I'm thinking either they changed the way the bumper mounts or there's something wrong with yours.

If memory serves me correctly the inner part of the bumper mount has a plastic bracket bolted to the fender and the bumper clips onto 2 taps of that bracket (tightly). It's meant to be tight