Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper repair in SF Bay Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got rear ended on my way home this evening. :mad: It appears it's just the bumper that needs to be replaced (scratched and cracked), but of course I'd want someone to make sure nothing else needs to be fixed. Any shop recommendations in the SF Bay Area? East bay would be best.

Also listening to any advice you have regarding getting through this experience.

I had this experience in February of this year. I went to Chilton Auto Body (Tesla endorsed) 3242 De La Cruz, Santa Clara.
It took 3.5 days, cost - a little over 2 grand (they replace everything) the responsible party paid for it. I learned more about
auto body work than I needed to know: Tesla uses its own type of aluminum for its parts, Audi uses another type, body shops
need to have specifically trained Techs for aluminum body panels, etc. Anyway, the car looks like new. Downside, I had to drive
an ICE car for three days. :) There is a Chilton in S.F.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
Wherever you decide to take your car make sure they pre-order your parts and receive them before you drop off your car. My car got rear ended 8 days after I took delivery. I brought it in for repairs on 11/13 and was initially told 5-7 business days for the repair. On 11/20 I received a call from the body shop stating the rear bumper cover was on backorder with Tesla and would not arrive until 12/1. I asked if they could put back on my old cover so I could drive (enjoy) my car while we waited for the parts to arrive. They said no since the bumper cover gets pretty much destroyed when they remove it. Parts did arrive on 11/30 and it was finished on 12/5.

Basically my car sat around waiting for parts for 3 weeks when I could have been driving it.

Wherever you decide to take your car make sure they pre-order your parts and receive them before you drop off your car. My car got rear ended 8 days after I took delivery. I brought it in for repairs on 11/13 and was initially told 5-7 business days for the repair. On 11/20 I received a call from the body shop stating the rear bumper cover was on backorder with Tesla and would not arrive until 12/1. I asked if they could put back on my old cover so I could drive (enjoy) my car while we waited for the parts to arrive. They said no since the bumper cover gets pretty much destroyed when they remove it. Parts did arrive on 11/30 and it was finished on 12/5.

Basically my car sat around waiting for parts for 3 weeks when I could have been driving it.

This is so true. I also noticed that Chilton is the shop they use and their quality is not anywhere near where I would call quality. Unfortunately from my understanding only these big chains can really afford to spend several hundred thousand dollars to go through Tesla's training pgm, but Tesla doesn't pre-qualify their paint work. How I know? 2 of my buddies had accidents this year, and they both went through Chiltons and they had to send the cars back a minimum of 2xs because the paint work was so shoddy.