Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper repair or replacement if covered by 3rd party insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The corner of my M3 front bumper cover and an adjacent panel got scratched when another vehicle did a lane change and side swiped me. Fortunately, I had Tesla cam videos to show the incident, and the other vehicle is at fault according to my insurance company.

Under such circumstances, will the other vehicle's insurance company pay for a bumper replacement? Seems that replacement is cheaper and better than repainting the bumper. I have no collision coverage, so my insurer told me that I will be contacted by the other insurance company to claim for damages.

Do I also get to choose which shop I want the work to be done at? Can I choose a Tesla service center? Should I get it repaired before the other insurance company contacts me, or should I hold off till then?

Last edited:
The corner of my M3 front bumper cover and an adjacent panel got scratched when another vehicle did a lane change and side swiped me. Fortunately, I had Tesla cam videos to show the incident, and the other vehicle is at fault according to my insurance company.

Under such circumstances, will the other vehicle's insurance company pay for a bumper replacement? Seems that replacement is cheaper and better than repainting the bumper. I have no collision coverage, so my insurer told me that I will be contacted by the other insurance company to claim for damages.

Do I also get to choose which shop I want the work to be done at? Can I choose a Tesla service center? Should I get it repaired before the other insurance company contacts me, or should I hold off till then?
Without seeing the damage it would hard to determine if replace or repair is in order. Superficial only then could be just a repair but if there is dent/damage them it should be replaced. You should be able to take to shop of your choice.

The wait time sounds about right. I recently had to wait 3 weeks for an alignment and to replace a squeaking upper control arm. I’m pretty sure the bumper replacement is done by a tech and not a body shop since it’s just popping one off and putting the new one on.

The wait time sounds about right. I recently had to wait 3 weeks for an alignment and to replace a squeaking upper control arm. I’m pretty sure the bumper replacement is done by a tech and not a body shop since it’s just popping one off and putting the new one on.
If there's other paint work or body work involved, the body shop may do everything after ordering parts from Tesla. Also would probably depend on the arrangements the particular insurance company uses.

But you are right that if talking about just installing a pre-painted bumper and very minor touchups (like the type done with the touchup pen), service center can handle that alone.