TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Bumper scratches

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mharber73, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mharber73

mharber73 New Member

Got my Tesla a week ago and already someone / something scratched my back bumper. I have no idea how this happened but looks like a shopping cart. I'm wondering if the appeal of the Tesla draws unwanted attention from hapless shoppers.

I ordered the black touchup paint from Tesla but don't think it'd do much good with these scratches.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Member

I'd take it to a good detail shop and see what they say. I really do park in the boonies and it doesn't always mean some dork won't park their Tahoe 6 inches away. It's nuts out there.

• Like x 1
  3. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I’ve learned to park far away where the lazy folks who leave carts around wouldn’t dare park due to having to walk the whole parking lot, and with some obstruction on one side. I also pick up any stray carts and walk them back on my way. I unfortunately live in an area of heavy storms and wind, so one day I may be unlucky enough a cart gets blown into me.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

If you value your vehicle, stay away from the crowd. Remember, lazy people want to park up front. And, they are too lazy to worry about scratching your car.

• Like x 1
  5. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

The bumper isn't metal. So I wonder how you'd fix that.

6. appleguru

appleguru Member

7. D.E.

D.E. Member

You might consider having the bumpers film coated. Mine's done in the front so I wouldn't have avoided your scratch. The film is self healing for tiny hairline scratches. I think it probably would have helped with the shopping cart.

The factory paint seems pretty soft. I drove mine home 90 miles when I picked it up new, a straight shot on the interstate, and I got a paint chip on the front bumper. I got the film shortly after that. 2000 more miles since, no more chips.

8. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

That should buff out with buffing compound (as long as it isn't down to the primer), but you want a RANDOM orbital buffer. We had something similar on our grey car, buffed right out.

9. D.E.

D.E. Member

I think I'd attempt to rub it out by hand. You'll be able to make it a whole lot better if not get rid of it completely. I'd use a fine rubbing compound from an auto supply store. Once you're done with that, use a polish which has a super fine compound. Then wax. Use a soft cloth, like a cotton diaper. Change cloths between products.

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I am the most obsessive parker ever. When my passengers complain, I invite them to walk! I hope to not jinx myself, but after 3 years, not one ding. Only one superficial rub mark that did take quite some time to remove.

I insist on ONLY Princess parking for my girl.

#overthetop!