Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Tesla a week ago and already someone / something scratched my back bumper. I have no idea how this happened but looks like a shopping cart. I'm wondering if the appeal of the Tesla draws unwanted attention from hapless shoppers.

I ordered the black touchup paint from Tesla but don't think it'd do much good with these scratches.

Any advice?

Attachments

• File_000 (8).jpeg
    File_000 (8).jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 199
I’ve learned to park far away where the lazy folks who leave carts around wouldn’t dare park due to having to walk the whole parking lot, and with some obstruction on one side. I also pick up any stray carts and walk them back on my way. I unfortunately live in an area of heavy storms and wind, so one day I may be unlucky enough a cart gets blown into me.

You might consider having the bumpers film coated. Mine's done in the front so I wouldn't have avoided your scratch. The film is self healing for tiny hairline scratches. I think it probably would have helped with the shopping cart.

The factory paint seems pretty soft. I drove mine home 90 miles when I picked it up new, a straight shot on the interstate, and I got a paint chip on the front bumper. I got the film shortly after that. 2000 more miles since, no more chips.

I think I'd attempt to rub it out by hand. You'll be able to make it a whole lot better if not get rid of it completely. I'd use a fine rubbing compound from an auto supply store. Once you're done with that, use a polish which has a super fine compound. Then wax. Use a soft cloth, like a cotton diaper. Change cloths between products.

I am the most obsessive parker ever. When my passengers complain, I invite them to walk! I hope to not jinx myself, but after 3 years, not one ding. Only one superficial rub mark that did take quite some time to remove.

I insist on ONLY Princess parking for my girl.

#overthetop!