Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper scuff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Just narrowly avoided an accident today and ended up scuffing the bumper on my Model S when my bumper made contact with the bumper of the vehicle in front of me.

I have a minor scuff. The color is intact, it just appears the clear coat over the top has minor scratches and has been dulled.

Any recommendations on how to deal with this? Is rubbing and polishing this out something anybody has done at home? if so, any materials and procedure recommendations?

If not, is this something that a good detailer can deal with, or is it auto-body shop time?

Thanks.

Signed- Ticked off in VA

I second the recommendation on Griots Garage products, but would be careful polishing the car--you can remove a lot of paint quickly and can make things way worse. Also, the Model S paint, IMHO, is very soft due to the CA production and the stringent VOC rules here (we cannot buy many paints/lacquers here, and others are either reformulated or sold only in quart cans). YMMV.

How timely. Last night a truck directly in front of me shed a recap and I could not avoid hitting it with my front facia. Nasty large black streaks. I figured I had nothing to loose, except the opportunity to get a pre-drilled for sensors facia, so I very gently massaged it with meguires scratch remover and the thick, sof paint responded. Can't tell it happened. I wish I had shot some "before" pictures.