Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumpier (than 21s) Ride with Gemini Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

newtnyc

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2020
East
We test drove a PUP Y twice and found the ride to be firm but comfortable. With the 19s we now have, the ride seems rougher. Does that make sense? Looking at the TPMS earlier, after a 30 min drive in very hot weather, the readout was around 41psi. Waiting for tires to cool and will check the psi cold which should be 42 according to the door sticker. Anyone notice any ride quality issues with 19 inch geminis.

Reactions: JMar
That's odd. The ride in my AWD with Gemeni wheels is very good, and certainly smoother than the PUP I test drove.

Is your car brand new? It'll likely be smoother after a drive or two.

It's also possible that the roads were smoother on your test drive.

I find my ride a little bumpy with Geminis, but acceptable as it can be without air suspension. I've had 2 BMW X5s with air suspension, and 2 without, and my MY rides much like my X5s without. IMO, the combination of the Continential tires and their 104 rating, plus the standard coil suspension are really the culprits regarding ride quality in the MY with Geminis. Will the suspension break in a little? I'm not sure about that, but I've experienced night-and-day difference between Continential and other brands such as Vredenstein and Michelin when it comes to ride quality, and I expect the same when I swap these out.

I miss air suspension more than anything, and it almost drove me to an MX, but I am not interested in falcon wing doors. If air suspension is ever added to the MY, I will strongly consider ordering one and trading this one in.

Reactions: Zoomit
In my case, for now, I found that the tires came filled differently from one another. The rear was in 30s, and the front in the 40s. For now, I put them all at 42 just to see if that changed anything. The car is new and has not been driven much, so the suspension will break in a bit. But, I agree, a combo coil and air would be a great option for the MY

We test drove a PUP Y twice and found the ride to be firm but comfortable. With the 19s we now have, the ride seems rougher. Does that make sense? Looking at the TPMS earlier, after a 30 min drive in very hot weather, the readout was around 41psi. Waiting for tires to cool and will check the psi cold which should be 42 according to the door sticker. Anyone notice any ride quality issues with 19 inch geminis.

It seems like I feel every crack in the road. I picked up my MY Tuesday and have driven 400 miles. I'm going to try lowering the PSI tomorrow.