Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumping around on the screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One drawback to the touchscreen is that your finger is not anchored when you press a virtual button. Even a small bump in the road can cause you to press the wrong location. It's happened to me several times where I end up pressing the temperature setting (turning on the HVAC in the process) when I was trying to hit the seat heater.

Today I was trying to tap on the map and hit a slight bump in the road and ended up hitting the driver profile, and then something that made the driver profile go away without changing it. But it got me thinking, what if the second tap was my wife's profile - my seat would then automatically crush me against the steering wheel. Or worse if my wife hit my profile, she'd be moved to where her feet couldn't reach either pedal! I think this is unlikely because it takes two presses, and there is a little spatial separation. However, I did discover that if you select a different profile while driving, it will move the seat! The software probably shouldn't allow a driver profile change while the car is in motion.

Anyway I've never noticed bumps causing me to mis-press buttons on my model S and I think it's because the air suspension makes the ride much smoother. The model 3 is not so forgiving - but since so much more is touch-screen only, it probably should be.

My S has coils, and I have had the same problem. The workaround is to anchor my thumb on the bezel, before tapping the screen target with a finger. Or the other way around.

If you were to select a different driver profile by accident, couldn't you abort by touching any of the seat controls? I have tested that myself, and I'm not sure I'd have the presence of mind to do it in an emergency. But I'd expect it to work.

Reactions: Pkmmte