Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

burbank airport log term lot being used for staging model x?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey everyone. tesla seems to be using a large surface lot next to burbank airport for new model x vehicles. there are a large number of x on the lot. more than i would think would come from a single truck. just found it very odd.

Attachments

• 20170706_132915.jpg
    20170706_132915.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Informative
Reactions: MS16
My guess is that those are pre-built "inventory" cars. My understanding is that for the past several months, Tesla has been building S and X based on the most popular configurations (they have a lot of data on that by now) so that when on of those configurations is ordered they can deliver it to the buyer quickly. You can of course order any configuration option combination you wish but you may wait longer for delivery.

Tesla likely ran out of room for that kind of inventory vehicle storage at the Fremont location, in part because their number of plant employees has increased so much that parking space is very scarce.

I predict that soon there will be a "Seeking Alpha" nonsense article about how those new cars in that Burbank parking lot mean that buyer demand has collapsed and Tesla is in a "death spiral".

To update this thread, the Teslas have been moved from Burbank Airport Lot C to a private lot on the west side of Hollywood Way at Tulare Ave. The good news is that out of about 100 total Teslas onsite, there were probably 20 or so Model 3s. Interestingly, most of the rest appeared to be Model Xs.

I'll try to swing by in a week or so to see what the churn rate is. Hopefully everything will have changed by then... :)

• Informative
Reactions: jerjozwik
Here's some new photos (taken 07/23/18):

North lot (sparsely populated)
Burbank-1.jpg

North lot (sparsely populated)
Burbank-0.jpg

South lot (looked pretty full, including a transport!)
Burbank-2.jpg

Close-up of left side of south lot showing 2 portable Superchargers - must be topping off a LOT of cars!
Burbank-3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
This may be why the Traditionally long Tesla delivery times have been dramatically shortening.

Maybe Tesla is producing vehicles controlled by an algorithm. Predicting what configurations will soon be ordered. They can this most efficiently configure their production lines and supplies to get these predicted vehicles to their customers faster, while at the same time reducing production costs. Win-Win.

Aha. I wondered why I saw a truck full of Teslas traveling down (south) Hollywood Way the other day. Thanks for clearing that up.

This is the pictured lot, roughly 2512 N. Hollywood Way. It isn't Lot C, the large sign is a wayfinding sign directing people around the corner (Thornton) to the parking lot. Looks to be owned by the airport.
Google Maps

Good to know they're strategically getting ahead of the game. I used to watch this lot fill up and empty out all the time at the Port of Tacoma. One day, all kinds of brand new yellow construction equipment partially wrapped in plastic, the next day a million Toyotas as far as you could see. Fascinating business, storage and logistics. Google Maps

Anyhow, enough out of me. Thanks for being the solution to the question I had. Cheers.

I tracked my Model 3 on United Roads, my car was shipped from Antioch, CA to this lot. I'm guessing this is a logistics lot that they use as a hub before shipping the last leg to local service centers.

My car was here a week prior to delivery, and it was eventually shipped to Costa Mesa where Tesla inspected and prepped the car. Then they did Tesla Direct and delivered the car to my driveway

hey everyone. tesla seems to be using a large surface lot next to burbank airport for new model x vehicles. there are a large number of x on the lot. more than i would think would come from a single truck. just found it very odd.
Not odd to me. There are threads in the Model 3 forums about people finding large parking lots in California full of 3’s awaiting delivery.

Tesla is ramping up total vehicle production volume very rapidly. It is overwhelming their limited delivery infrastructure. They will get it figured out over time.

It is a wonderful problem to have: incredible market demand for your products and no effective competition from the other car companies.

The future looks good for Tesla!