Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burbank supercharger fake outage cone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rarely use Burbank to charge because it's a terrible place always with a line, but when I have a 450 mile trip back home in the morning, I will go there. I noticed that when I pulled up there was a cone in front of charger 1A. Basically, everyone, including me, was ignoring it, assuming a cone in front of a spot means it is broken. So I waited my turn and pulled into 1B. As I'm sitting in my car, another car pulls up, the passenger gets out, moves the cone aside, plugs in, then they leave. WTF!

Is this some type of secret for people in Burbank or something? If so, it's not cool. Tesla should not leave cones out if they will be misused like this. I'm hoping these people come back because I'm going to ask them about it.

Is this some type of secret for people in Burbank or something? If so, it's not cool. Tesla should not leave cones out if they will be misused like this. I'm hoping these people come back because I'm going to ask them about it.
Maybe it wasn't Tesla, but those people, who brought the cone there to "reserve" it for themselves? Just a thought.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I rarely use Burbank to charge because it's a terrible place always with a line, but when I have a 450 mile trip back home in the morning, I will go there. I noticed that when I pulled up there was a cone in front of charger 1A. Basically, everyone, including me, was ignoring it, assuming a cone in front of a spot means it is broken. So I waited my turn and pulled into 1B. As I'm sitting in my car, another car pulls up, the passenger gets out, moves the cone aside, plugs in, then they leave. WTF!

Should have given them the what for right then and there. Turn in that license plate number.

OK, I talked to the people that moved the cone and plugged in. They said people there do it all the time, they said they personally don't, but they know so they just move the cone and don't put it back. They said they would call Tesla in the morning to tell them to put the cones away. Whoever is putting it there is scum. I can't believe it. I'm sitting in line with others, I'm from out of town, I'm waiting here at 10pm at night to charge so I can get home in the morning, and this is probably some local person within a few miles of the supercharger.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Like this? I didn't know the cones weren't indicating a broken charger. Huh. Unless the SC does it so they have a place to charge customer cars, IDK.

IMG_0376.JPG

I have heard of some places where cones were intentionally placed (by the property manager ?) in each charger spot to discourage ICEing.
Maybe this was the case here ?

The only legitimate reason I could see that would need to disallow any car from using the parking space is if the paint is fresh or someone is working directly with that particular charger/in a manhole under that parking space.

I have heard of some places where cones were intentionally placed (by the property manager ?) in each charger spot to discourage ICEing.
Maybe this was the case here ?

The only legitimate reason I could see that would need to disallow any car from using the parking space is if the paint is fresh or someone is working directly with that particular charger/in a manhole under that parking space.
I'd seen this also in YouTube videos (where some locations have cones to keep ICE cars out). But if that's the case, there should be one for each stall and everyone should be putting them back after use. One is really strange and smells of 'reservation'.

Yes, cones have been used in front of charging stations in many places to discourage them from being ICEd. Just move the cone, charge, and move the cone back when you leave. Please get super angry when stations are ICE'd, so this low-cost solution was "invented". It's very common at Destination Charger locations like hotels to try and encourage ICE drivers to park elsewhere.

I live in San Jose, way up north 350 miles or so - I only use superchargers when traveling outside of 250 miles from my house. I come down there to visit my son every other week, and he lives right in the middle of the San Fernando Valley. So the only supercharger is Burbank, then the next closest is Culver City. But the traffic getting to and from Culver City makes it an hour ordeal each way instead of the 20 min each way to Burbank. So I try to stay away from going south of the valley. Tesla needs more locations in the valley, some good areas would be Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Canoga Park, Northridge, Van Nuys, Studio City, etc.

This is not for keeping ICE cars out - this is a Tesla dealership. And the Superchargers are in use 24 hours a day. I left at 11pm and there was a line of 3 cars still.
Once again, Tesla does not have dealerships. It's a Tesla store and service center. A dealership is not the only place where you can buy a new car-- we've just been trained to think that way by the auto dealer cartel.

New owners-- please remember that the next time you're on your way to the Apple dealership to buy a new iPhone.

Once again, Tesla does not have dealerships. It's a Tesla store and service center. A dealership is not the only place where you can buy a new car-- we've just been trained to think that way by the auto dealer cartel.

New owners-- please remember that the next time you're on your way to the Apple dealership to buy a new iPhone.

What a remarkably patronizing attitude, I'm floored by your arrogance!

Dealership, stealership, sales center, service center, Tesla store, Musk factory, all the same thing in my book. You know what he meant.